Roly Long, Hampshire

my dad has seen roly recently and he gave him a picture of his 141 that dad used to see on his travels

hayward lovely 141

Hayward:
my dad has seen roly recently and he gave him a picture of his 141 that dad used to see on his travels

Give me that wagon tomorrow & I’d be over the moon, what a beauty :smiley:

Just came across Trucknet and your post, I met Roly in 1981, I took him on his first trip to Baghdad. He was driving a Merc 1926. It only did one trip when we got back Roly went straight to Scantrucks in Purfleet where he bought the lhd 141. No idea where he is now either.

hi all,

roly is still living in petersfield, & works full time for a pipe-lining company, i built a model of that 141 in the picture, he says he had the roof & the cab extentions done in greece.

cheers
gaz

DSC06356a.JPG

DSC06351a.JPG

I know Roly wasn’t very happy with the end result from the Greeks.He done a couple of trips to Istanbul for a co i was working for in Holland and stayed with us for a few days.All the guys in the yard were looking in amazement at his ‘‘Rolytrotter’’.Mike

Nice guy Roly, do you know what ever happened to, Rod Walsh, Dave Teford , Terry Dines , Roy Hopkins, Nick The Greek, Frank Doran, genuine guys, did a few trips with them but it was a long time ago, oh and Micky Butler.
It is easier to lose touch than make the effort. :smiley:

!

Anyone remember a truck owned by Roly Long? I used to sometimes see it parked up on the A3 near Liphook or Liss, first an F89?, then a Scania 142? I think it was Astran he worked for. I never met him, but his motors always conjured up images of far-off places!

brookie.

I thought I saw one belonging to him in the last couple of years, but wonder now whether someone has made a mock up, instead of doing the normal Astran Livery.

I asked around and someone said he was back in South Africa. The last time I saw him was in Hungary at the White House about 1991

Roly Long from Petersfield way used to have a Scania141 with a high roof and extended cab(I think) he used to buy spares for it off me. He then bought this ex Dutch truck from me.

I think he sold both of them in the Middle East and flew home, he did a few trips to Italy and Spain driving for me, then I think he did a few Middle Easts for Barry Barnes flying home each time, he did have a job in the Middle East in charge of moving heavy drilling equipment, what he is doing now I have no idea!

Regards Pat

Thanks guys for the info, yep, I think both the motors I remember were extended, thats why they stick in my mind! It was seeing you M/E boys motors, along with my schoolmates’ dad’s 111 Scania (he did M/E for years in the 70s and 80s) that made me make up my mind on what career to do after school and I did! I think I was only about 7 or 8 when I decided. Best call I’ve ever made! :smiley:

brookie

Yeah, i remember roly…always in a hurry…and his stepframe trailer always seemed to be exploding at the seams…i think he had bent or broken framework, and never had the time to get it mended. but a nice guy all the same…