Old Firms in Oxford Area

Hi,I have been told my uncle used to work for chinnor cement in the 50s&60s,i do not know if he was a driver/worker in quarry,his name was Neville chamberlin he lived at new road stokenchurch sadly no longer with us if anyone has any info/photos please let me know.thanks.

This thread’s come back with a bang :smiley:

Couple more of Witney Stone Co

Hi Chris , yes she was a good truck , I did not get on with the second driver but had some great times in the cold weather :open_mouth: , also love these new photos and I am aiming to see an old Brs driver this week for some photos of his wagons which were allways very clean , F995SOU Leyland roadtrain on the Unipart contract and D88HFB Leyland roadtrain on the Edmunds Walker contract running out of 733 , happy days .As this driver Ivor parry was on nights I spent many of my lunch times washing and polishing his truck , and painting the wheels, this was when i was on the yts in early 84t.I would love to do one more trunk on F995sou up to fleetwood and back .

Muckaway:

Mobile showroom for Prestcold appliances, fridges, freezers etc, the name came from:-
PREssedSTeelCOLtD and there were one or two fridges around Cowley and beyond that at the time, well kinda hadn’t been properly invoiced.
oiltreader

Timbmet of ■■■■■■ Hill.
oiltreader

Hi oil reader , timbet had a very nice fleet of roadtrains and cruisers with those tidy flat trailers .

Apologies if the commer has been posted before but hey what about the Austin.
oiltreader

Minty artic.jpg

Minty Commer.jpg

A brace of Partridges (pardon the pun).
oiltreader

Partridge Dodge.jpg

Partridge wrecker.jpg

oiltreader:
Timbmet of ■■■■■■ Hill.
oiltreader

have these still got their own fleet,used to see them everywhere !! :slight_smile:

Yeah they do still run a fleet of there own I think there is 23 at Standford in the Vale,6 based in Andover and some in Glasgow. Here’s a pic of the Truck I drove for them

18.05.2011 009.JPG

do you get many drops on that job ?,i can imagine it being quite a few drops !

Some day’s, the guy’s that do London have 9 or 10 maybe,some day’s you could get 1 hit but on average 7 to 10. They used to have there own routes so they all new where the drops were but a new tm came along and changed all that so they are all over the place now.

Timbmet must’ve got a good price for ■■■■■■ Hill yard; It wasn’t many years ago Smiths did a lot of work up there levelling ground for some new kilns and laying out new roads. Still, now they’re over at Stanford the drivers can play “Who can hold up the most Earthline lorries” :laughing:

Yeah I think ■■■■■■ hill went for a nice sum,they say Stanford cost £15 million to set up and they topped up there bank accounts as well.

From the age of 4 till I was 14 I lived up in the flats up on Green Road roudabout, so that was late 60s to late 70s, that was when that was really the main roundabout for all heavy stuff going through Oxford to anywhere, & obviously going in/out of British Leyland, Cowley, night/day, wagon spotters paradise :slight_smile: Across the bye-pass was The Shotover Arms :slight_smile: now a Mcdonalds :cry: , my life didn’t that place used to make some money out of us on Luker Bros, especially on a Saturday when we came back up from Southampton/Portsmouth having come over on the night-ferry, once all the loading was done for Monday in the yard we all used to hit the Shotty like an exorcet, with wives/girlfriends & occasionally through bad planning & ill-timing both :laughing: :laughing: . Anyway I digress, behind the Shotty was a car-park/waste ground, & every weekend there were 2 Timbet Leyland Clydesdale sleeper-cab artics parked there, in the old green colours, like a berk for some reason I never took a picture of them :confused: .
Regards Chris

There really needs to be a decent truckstop around Oxford; not sit in a rotten portacabin towed by an old Transit, or park on the A40 to use Tesco express but something like Cirencester Truckstop (not saying that’s the Ritz but it’s for lorry drivers).
On that note, why were lorries banned from Oxford services at Pear Tree?

Muckaway:
There really needs to be a decent truckstop around Oxford; not sit in a rotten portacabin towed by an old Transit, or park on the A40 to use Tesco express but something like Cirencester Truckstop (not saying that’s the Ritz but it’s for lorry drivers).
On that note, why were lorries banned from Oxford services at Pear Tree?

I fully agree, but with our councils/town planners etc I think you got more chance of getting a go**le off the Pope quite frankly :wink: As for Pear Tree I think it’s basic economics, how many car spaces have they got compared to the wagon spaces they could have?

I have seen your truck M G B , how long have you been there ? , do recall Dave Harris ? , like chris says in the early days there lorrys were allways taken home , One Cruiser was parked up by the Brs oxford depot , and one at Abingdon . Who drove they Roadtrain that Oil reader has posted .