Liverpool hauliers 1970/80

Hi I have just found some pics of Ritsons Haulage where I worked as a driver till they folded in 1990. These were taken in Dales Engineerings yard in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs. We used to park up there along with SPD Birdseye. My truck is the ERF B series with the door open, this colour scheme was more popular with the drivers than the later blue and yellow rainbow colour scheme. The other sleeper with the 255t reg was driven by Johnny Lindley, sadly no longer with us.
All I have to do now is fugure out how to load the pics onto the post.
Best wishes
Brian

Pictures posted on behalf of Hasrep

Hi I have just found some pics of Ritsons Haulage where I worked as a driver till they folded in 1990. These were taken in Dales Engineerings yard in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs. We used to park up there along with SPD Birdseye. My truck is the ERF B series with the door open, this colour scheme was more popular with the drivers than the later blue and yellow rainbow colour scheme. The other sleeper with the 255t reg was driven by Johnny Lindley, sadly no longer with us.
All I have to do now is fugure out how to load the pics onto the post.
Best wishes
Brian

Anyone got any pics of Clark Transport who used to run out of Tate and Lyle in Liverpool

Was browsing this topic and someone mentioned HB&H my dad used to work for them in the 70s i think these pics were from about 1974 , so thought you might like a look , the bosses name was Rodney Barton but Newton le Willows was lancs then i think its now merseyside if im not mistaken .

jenx

Did they run a service to the I.O.M, I recall delivering there years ago,?, Regards Larry.

I dont think so i think they only did mainland uk , mind you i was only about 5 years old but i do remember him tramping so I may be wrong ,
regards
Jen x

Lawrence Dunbar:
Did they run a service to the I.O.M, I recall delivering there years ago,?, Regards Larry.

As far as i can remember they didn’t do I.O.M, they were based on Ashton road in Newton-le-Willows carried a lot of glass out of ST. Helens,
think the Atkinson in the picture was an ex Priestley motor who were also based in Newton-le-Willows later HB&H changed to volvo f88/f10 good looking motors.

Jennie:

Was browsing this topic and someone mentioned HB&H my dad used to work for them in the 70s i think these pics were from about 1974 , so thought you might like a look , the bosses name was Rodney Barton but Newton le Willows was lancs then i think its now merseyside if im not mistaken .

jenx

christ,i never knew eric clapton drove for them :wink:

HI GAZ70 .Is this you in the picture. we baught 2 crane 40ft flat trailors from your firm when they stopped trading they were like brand new i think there fleet no were 23 &24 did us pruod .YOURS Barry Waddy

b.waddy know i have nothing to do with this firm,i just commented on the driver looking like eric clapton,if you look again you’ll see jen is the lady who knows the score about this outfit,all the best gaz :slight_smile: .

HI Jennie . I am told you might be able to throw some light on my question. Yours Barry Waddy

Hi b.waddy

Sorry don’t know in depths as I said was only about 5 when this pic was taken me dad brought his own lorry not long after this and left company , unfortunately can’t ask him either as he sadly passed away 9years ago he’s the reason I drive lorries now many a school hols spent with him out on the road , he slept in this lorry too , no bed either !
But me mam did say the boss was a great bloke who treated all the drivers well , after getting rid of his lorry he then went on to work for reeds and then transferred down south to the thatcham reeds depot which is now sca on the colthrop ind est

Best regards

Jen x

Ps was a good looking fella though me dad :smiley:

HI Jennie .Thanks for that sorry abount your dad ,It seemed a fine company lorrys always looked smart i think Allisons Dundee took there yard over at some time .yours Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HI Jennie .Thanks for that sorry abount your dad ,It seemed a fine company lorrys always looked smart i think Allisons Dundee took there yard over at some time .yours Barry Waddy

Allisons didn’t take the yard over after HB&H went under the yard was split into little industrial units, a few years after that the units were knocked down and new offices were built.

HI ,M F M . Do you mean the yard that backed on to the M 6 near Haydock .junction i rememer Alisons being there yours .Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HI ,M F M . Do you mean the yard that backed on to the M 6 near Haydock .junction i rememer Alisons being there yours .Barry Waddy

Yes mate ,on the a49 going into Newton-le-Willows i grew up about 400 yards away from that yard,Allisons might have parked a few motors on the yard but they didn’t take it over.
Just wondering if you remember the cafe that was there before HB&H took over the yard.

HI M F M .YOU will be right i only remember Allisons lorrys being there after H B H had left . The cafe i remember was on the A 49 towards N EWTON LE WILLOWS some where by the turning for Earlstown used to call there on our way back from a lorry dealer in AShton in Makerfield. happy days Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HI M F M .YOU will be right i only remember Allisons lorrys being there after H B H had left . The cafe i remember was on the A 49 towards N EWTON LE WILLOWS some where by the turning for Earlstown used to call there on our way back from a lorry dealer in AShton in Makerfield. happy days Barry Waddy

The cafe you are on about was the Albion cafe on Newton high street, the one i am on about is the Woodlands cafe that sat on HB&H’S yard although it was before they had moved in.
I don’t know if you recall a firm by the name of Johnson Wilde and one called Woodlands haulage, who had the site before HB&H, the Woodlands cafe was there then, HB&H closed the cafe down it is going back a long time.

b.waddy:

I,m sure the Dealer in Ashton was Warrington Comercials agent for Foden , Sed Atkis guy i went to school with worked there it was just passed the entrance to Haydock Race Track. I also remember the woodlands Cafe and HB & H yard it was on the A49 on the Left as you go into Newton. Its now Vimto Head Office . If you can go back that far Who remembers Sayers Transport behind what was A & B Datsuns garage just before the railway bridge as you left Newton across the railway was Red Bank school and across the road from that was the entrance to Parkside Pit, My dad did some casual work for them taking trailers to Fleetwood for the boat and bring one back to Newton i,m sure they were dark blue ■■ anyone remember them

Boatchaser:

b.waddy:

I,m sure the Dealer in Ashton was Warrington Comercials agent for Foden , Sed Atkis guy i went to school with worked there it was just passed the entrance to Haydock Race Track. I also remember the woodlands Cafe and HB & H yard it was on the A49 on the Left as you go into Newton. Its now Vimto Head Office . If you can go back that far Who remembers Sayers Transport behind what was A & B Datsuns garage just before the railway bridge as you left Newton across the railway was Red Bank school and across the road from that was the entrance to Parkside Pit, My dad did some casual work for them taking trailers to Fleetwood for the boat and bring one back to Newton i,m sure they were dark blue ■■ anyone remember them

It’s not just Vimto’s head office, City Link,Auto Trader and several others are on there . I remember Sayers Transport they were dark blue motors volvo f88’s my mates old fella worked for them.
Beck and Politzer had that place after them, A&B Datsuns thats a name i’ve not heard for a while. Red Bank most of that place is shut now and no doubt you know that parkside has gone. Another long gone firm from Newton-le-Willows Joe Priestley Transport LTD, part of the Cyprien Fox Group don’t know if anyone will remember them.