A A Griggs - AAG

Mark R:
Heres my contribution to the AA Griggs thread.

Me and my son with my F7 and 105E Anglia and my old F86

A couple here found on ebay.most likely they pinched them from somewhere else :wink:
A A Griggs Transport Volvo.jpg
A A Griggs Volvo.jpg

We used to deliver brown reels from East Lanca Mill to a David S. Smith plant down near Cambridge,I can’t just re-call the name of the village but as AAG were the in house owned haulier of the DSS paper group they had the haulage work.However,AAG apparently didn’t give this sister co. very good servive to the point where they rang us from the plant one day to ask if they could re-load our artic for an urgent delivery back up north.Certainly we says, as they were in the middle of no-where so the load was handy !!! Anyway we started working for this plant regularly and they were right decent people to deal with and they appreciated good service,but one thing we nor they could get round was that all our paper work had to go through AAG as their subbies !! No problem really as David S. Smith were a giant first class firm. AAG to say the least did not take kindly to us demonstrating what proper service was like and the Plant wound them up about it all the time " phone Bewicks" they used to goad them with !!! We also delivered a lot of tonnage to David S Smith’s plant in South Wales from J & J Makin of Rochdale,it was the foil covered board for Benson & Hedges cigs. Useless info I know !! Cheers Bewick.

Burwell was the village near Cambridge. The plant relocated to Fordham Road, Newmarket, opposite Turners’ Depot, about 15 years ago and the Burwell site was redevelped into a housing estate.

gingerfold:
Burwell was the village near Cambridge. The plant relocated to Fordham Road, Newmarket, opposite Turners’ Depot, about 15 years ago and the Burwell site was redevelped into a housing estate.

Hiya GF,it was neither of those places,Doh ! I will find out though, Sawston ,Warboys ? I don’t think it was one of these either although we did deliver to both these places over the years !! but I will find out ,I assure you I’m not imagining it ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

gingerfold:

Hiya GF,it was neither of those places,Doh ! I will find out though, Sawston ,Warboys ? I don’t think it was one of these either although we did deliver to both these places over the years !! but I will find out ,I assure you I’m not imagining it ! Cheers Bewick.

It was near exning and newmarket out in the sticks :smiley:

woodmanmichael:
regards all AAG drivers. the two guys names were roger tyler and big frank mutter who is a gent. im ex kemsley night man made redundent 2007.all the best lads for 2011

I have now retired but my son still drives Frank is still going though :smiley:

there used to be an ex griggs motor down at edwards transport in lydbrook 8 wheeler aec mk5 redg No XER 8 ,have spoken to titch griggs and he told me it used to run 2 trips scotch with a drawbar trailer a week! have got a pic but cannot load it at the mo.

Coddy:
Any old drivers on here, from the Soham, Strood days.

Anyone got any pictures of the Old F7’s and FL10’s

Any stories to tell.

If you look in my gallery you will see my F7 and F86 :smiley:

ROGERTYLER:

Coddy:

Any stories to tell.

This one you mean
strood%20griggs.jpg

Stanfield:

ROGERTYLER:

Coddy:

Any stories to tell.

This one you mean0

Thats the picture me with my son whos a driver now my F7 and old F86 and my 105E anglia.The F7 was new :smiley:

RE ROGER TYLER ,what depot did you work out of. and do you remember oscar one of tony griggs first subbies to work out of soham, great bloke!!

when i drove for ( reed corragated cases ) of lydbrook our rivels at monmouth tillotsons paper was hauled by aa griggs who bought out a local company sw griffiths,they had a large fleet of tk bedfords with scammel copeling carrying 13ft high loads of cardboard roped and sheeted,we did the same with d series fords,but with york fifth wheel coupling.how they stayed up right on round abouts i don,t know.as time went by our lorries stayed dseries fords but trailers changed to ( single axle curtainsides ), but aa griggs graduated to f86 volvos and ( forty foot curtainsides ) the drivers had just enough room behind the seats to build a makeshift bed , jammy devils we still had to sleep across the seats.those were the days■■? andyd4910.

bazztrucker:
RE ROGER TYLER ,what depot did you work out of. and do you remember oscar one of tony griggs first subbies to work out of soham, great bloke!!

I used to work out of griggs at strood for 15 years then moved to Kemsley for my last 10 years and knew Osca all of that time (one of the best) I have now been retired for 4 years all the best Roger

re andyd4910, dont remember aag taking over s w griffiths but i do remember them taking over reg watkins of monmouth, who ran navy blue tk bedfords artic and rigids, if my memory hasnt completely gone!!!

You are right Bazztrucker.They took over Reg Watkins,Mansons Lane,Monmouth.Spoke to Ian Jukes the other day Re.AAG Squadron.He said one of his first jobs was taking one of those TK artics to Scotland with a load of cardboard.

bazztrucker:
re andyd4910, dont remember aag taking over s w griffiths but i do remember them taking over reg watkins of monmouth, who ran navy blue tk bedfords artic and rigids, if my memory hasnt completely gone!!!

THANKS FOR THAT RICHGRIFF,
nice to hear of duker, worked alongside him and many others including russ stevens,cyril morgan, alan sayce,and many more,getting old s,playing tricks with the memory.!!

gattar2:
ref- griggs, i can remember the yard they had in soham on the left as you drove to soham. I think my uncle used to drive an old bedford artic for them many years ago, they also had some old d series fords as well.

Coddy:

Any stories to tell.

Looking on google street view it appear the old travelers rest in Soham is now a housing estate!
I remember driving in there one day with the back axle on the trailer well alight as the brakes were binding, gotta love some of the old trailer they use to have :laughing:

I remember we used to sub quite a bit of work to Griggs at Exeter and they sometimes gave us a bit back up to Manchester, Lancs area (were a decent enough bunch and their rates awful) Last motor of theirs in my memory was one which had come to grief on that dodgy island as you come off the M6 onto the M65 at Walton Summit. It looked like he’d come into the roundabout just a tad to quick and his (what looked like) unstrapped load of bulk salvage compressed card was strewn across the road. Luckily he was ok (pride dented a bit) I know that stuff can be bad to move coz I picked up a loaded trailer once and even after strapping, it moved like jelly (gaps all down the middle) I was glad to get shut of it!

dont know if theres any old drivers on here from the 70’s,my father drove for griggs for 19 yrs starting off with a bedford tk with that scammel coupling,then went to a ford,a f86,a f7 then his last was a fl10,ill try to put a couple pics on,the picture of the f86 hes actully in the picture can anyone name him■■? oh hes also stood by his f7