Strathclyde/Mckelvie, Frood Street

You might remember Brian Forbes and his father Alex Forbes,father R I P but brian still working post office wishaw.Runs night trunk to warrington.

this is a still from the bowmore boiler on utube 5 videos lots of mckelvies foden-albions parts 1-5

albion

Benny Marshall, late sixties, ran from Motherwell to Chester rd in six and a half hours, no motorway then. You could never dream of doing that even in a wagon and drag! P/see had the Preston by pass. Joepipe

In the days of AM CB, drivers gave their companies ‘Squadron’ names, Strathclyde’s was ‘The Bengal Lancers’ in reference to the wide steel plates they hauled.
One of the drivers was ‘Blue Boy’, a Rangers supporter!

Is the poacher still around the woodnymph has been asking?. Joepipe

alexsaville:
In the days of AM CB, drivers gave their companies ‘Squadron’ names, Strathclyde’s was ‘The Bengal Lancers’ in reference to the wide steel plates they hauled.
One of the drivers was ‘Blue Boy’, a Rangers supporter!

now that’s a memory frae yrs gone by ,what aboot the sheriff from “sams”.

He was a bit sneaky when he was in the police.

that’s an understatement joe :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t Strathclyde have a depot at Talke just north of Stoke on the A 34. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Didn’t Strathclyde have a depot at Talke just north of Stoke on the A 34. Cheers Bewick.

Think that was Oswald,s of Ayre that had depot there Dennis mainly Atkinson unit,s with no rear mudguards on the unit,s ok Frank

Jim bo 47 are you telling me that the star mans parents where not married, I would have never have quest .

did I say that …noo me now “ginger” certainly was, got my first points of him. :smiling_imp:

Joepipe3:
Is the poacher still around the woodnymph has been asking?. Joepipe

Hi joepipe haven’t heard of the poacher in almost 20years he drove for me after Mckelvie finished up was on the teesport trunk bell lines for about 12years what a character had a story for every occasion

Leyland 680:

Bewick:

Think that was Oswald,s of Ayre that had depot there Dennis mainly Atkinson unit,s with no rear mudguards on the unit,s ok Frank[/quoteHiya Mate ! where have you been hiding ? anyway All the Best for 2018 . Aye your right about Oswalds but I’m fairly certain Strathclyde were around there as well but no doubt someone will put me out of my misery ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

Skive told me that he had waited a hundred years for a container job and he fair loved it . Joepipe

arthur2:

bill m ex y@d:
re mc kelvies served my time there 1969 1975 my dad worked there as well [auld sammy m in the garage]remember them getting first volvos good old days any old mates out there? [davie moore geordie jardine etc ]

hi mate i used to work for the old boss at north st . you should now him he was david goodfellow
but there was moore of them joe tomson &son rod bates (rip) omo arthur walsh chopper baldwin
pedro and thay all drank in the mile house .in north st

Hi Arthur,
My Dad worked for McKelvie out of Manchester from 1958-1964. His name was Dennis Walling, sadly deceased, do you remember him ?. He worked on the night trunk to Paisley usually, but sometimes to London.
His lorry was MHS 56 a Leyland Octopus. I used to travel with him as a boy, especially when he went on days.
I recall some of the names you mention. In particular, David Goodfellow who was the transport manager, Omo who was easily identifiable by his white cap, hence the name nickname Omo. Chopper Baldwin also, who went on to be Goodfellows transport manager at Kaye Goodfellows.
I think my Dad quaffed a few pints in The Mile House as well.
Regards, GBW.

Anyone have any idea who the driver is here? Around 1958 - Paisley/Barrhead

I take it Jim Mckelvie that started importing Volvo trucks is the same fella that run McKelvie Transport ■■?

Strathclyde Transport ERF’s.

A little bit later on - late 70’s early 80’s, but my old boss (from Watford originally but his mum was from Liverpool - Peter Bircham) worked at both Appleton Thorn and Tipton. He ended up back at Appleton Thorn via a short stay at Vono beds, with Western Transport, who shared the same yard with McKelvies. Quite a few ex McKelvie drivers ended up at Westerns (both part of TDG) some names I recall were David Burgess, Johnny Parr, Neil Darby, Joe Foote, Neil Macleod