Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

John West:
As I understand it, a ‘showman’s licence’ has no limit on length, or number of trailers, but a speed limit, maybe 20mph. My Dad, who was in haulage in the thirties through to the fifties knew all of the ins and outs, but I didn’t listen!

[edit: Taylor’s amusements are the inheritors of the local Emerson family]

In 1970, I had the Mastiffs serviced at ‘Bould Irwin’ just outside Ulverston. While there once, their wrecker pulled in one of Emerson’s trailers, missing wheels and other bits. Keith Irwin was quite posh, ‘well Mrs Emerson,’

Mrs Emerson was a formidable lady.

Keith carried on, ‘How long were you wanting this piece of equipment to last?’

Mrs Emerson speared him with a Lady Bracknell look and replied ‘Well Mr Irwin… I wasn’t actually thinking of replacing it!’

John.

Hi John, aye the Fairground fraternity ! I used to come in contact with them in the early/mid 70’s when we had our depot down in Milnthorpe village. They used to pitch on the Square prior to going through to Kendal for the main twice a year “Hiring fairs”. Well I got to know young Ernest Emmerson during those years and had it not been for the fact he couldn’t read or write he might have been an academic success ! He lettered a Borderer unit for me which he copied off a sheet of paper I had draughted out for him, and his work was as good as any Sign writer at that time ! However, we didn’t do any servicing or repairs for them, as per your info re Irwins ! But we did carry out repairs and servicing on Scotts of Rhyl 8 wheelers which was managed by a James Jeffreys another old fairground family. James had a couple of side shows of his own which he ran alongside the Scotts Waltzer, he was Great chap to deal with but initially he “tried us out” for honesty by paying us £5 too much in Silver ! and after the Girl I employed in the office counted the best part of £200 in Silver three or four times I took the £5 down to the Square to hand it back. Knock, knock ! on his living waggon door ! "You’ve paid me £5 too much James " he just winked at me and said " I know, share it among your Lads in the garage " ! We couldn’t do any wrong from then on ! But I refused to work for the Infamous Elizabeth nee Scott from the Barrow based branch of the family, now her and her “Spouse” were a right bundle of fun ! I will say no more other than they are no longer with us ! Scotts of Rhyl went in for Amusement Arcades in Rhyl and Towyn but kept their travelling fair going for a number of years as they had some valuable pitches. I guess they would probably sell out to Taylors eventually but I don’t know. I can say that the maintenance on those fair ground motors left a lot to be desired as it was just a case “codge and make do and mend” and an oil and filter change and grease round was about what they got once per year. Cheers Dennis.