What happened to Chris Hudson International?

Me & a mate George Hill left Towmasters & went on Chris Hudson in 1978 we had an all day induction at Romford then picked up our Scania 81’s at Grays (Trailer repair place?) then up to Felixstowe to pick up MT tilts & take to (I think) Totnes to hand ball bags of Milk powder to run back (I’m sure) to Sheerness Docks. I never made it though, the gears went going through Newbury & had to ring some’ hotline number’ for a wrecker to come out to me. I went to sleep & was awoken many hours later by a ■■■■■■■■■ man shaking me awake (luckily it was the wrecker man) He towed me on a straight bar back to Beckton, I was so tiered I wanted to sleep in the Scania while he was towing it but he wouldn’t let me. When we got to Beckton I was told to stay there & wait for the gearbox to be repaired, I said words to the affect of F U I’m going home. I got a lift home to Sittingbourne & slept for 15 hours well fu…ed, they rang me 3 days later & said yours lorries ready, I didn’t go back, but to fair they did pay me for the 2 days I did. Nice to see an old photo of the lorry (although they were gutless when pulling heavy loads) Happy Days, Not. ■■■■ Matthew

Hello,

I am Chris Hudson’s grandaughter :slight_smile:
Need any answers to questions? Just ask me!

-Louise Hudson

Is it the same man as pictured on the South Wales thread ,a scammell and tilt trailer ?

Hiya…Kirbs50…Tim Bowers from Matlock passed away about 7 years ago. he was working in the office at Mark Youngs
transport Uttoxeter at the time…sad loss
John

louisehudson100:
Hello,

I am Chris Hudson’s grandaughter :slight_smile:
Need any answers to questions? Just ask me!

-Louise Hudson

Welcome Louise!

Feel free to input what you want to share with us…perhaps some documents and pictures
are kept in the family-archive?

Nice day, A-J

Hello Louise

Your Chris and I were good friends when we were children and teenagers. We lost contact in our early twenties. I would love to know if he remembers me.

Best wishes

billpage:
Hello Louise

Your Chris and I were good friends when we were children and teenagers. We lost contact in our early twenties. I would love to know if he remembers me.

Best wishes

Unfortunately Chris has passed away, I’m sorry that you lost contact but he speaks through my younger sister. Maybe I could ask him that way.

Best Wishes

when surfing on the internet i came on this page and it was a surprise to read that much about Chris Hudson. I used to work in holland, Tegelen at Chris Hudson & Ewals bv, i think 1974 till 1980. when the trailers arrived in Europoort it was my job to take care off the repairs in case flat tyre or tears etc. i loved to work for them. while reading all of this i remember some names like Colin Kirby, Colin Clayton, Chaz King. I still have some pictures. Never find any job which gave me more pleasure. will post some pictures i have. on one of them you can see Gus Doove the man in charge in Tegelen. loved to work for him as well as for Jack van de Kerkhof.

img007.jpg

Nice input Marian! What I remember (being 4 years in Venlo) was the tidy looks of the vehicles
steady ongoing on the E34. Do you have info on the Dutch and Belgian subbies/contractors?

A-J (Eindhoven)

I’m sorry but i don’t have any more information for this moment. when talking with people about this memories will definately come but till then … MG its more then 35 years ago. start working there on my 15th till i was 22 so did a lot of other things after that, but you can imagine that when i was 15 in that time, the truckdrivers had a lot of fun to make me blush sometimes because i was that young.

ERF-Continental:
Nice input Marian! What I remember (being 4 years in Venlo) was the tidy looks of the vehicles
steady ongoing on the E34. Do you have info on the Dutch and Belgian subbies/contractors?

A-J (Eindhoven)

Hey Subbies of Hudson, here everyone pulled trailers for them GDP of Zeebrugge, gave it to his Subbies and so on.

Eric,

I just read on another site that Don Collison passed away earlier today. I have only heard of him and never met him, but another name cropped up.

Steve Shearer, was that the same Steve Shearer from Gargrave who worked on tankers?

Hi…I’m a newbie here,but for anyone who may still be looking,and trying to find anything out,this may or may not be relevant to yourselves.
In 1981,I used to work for a family business called “Greenwood-Gentry Haulage” out of Stratford East London,and did for a year work continental (Albeit more local Continental than most) with Chris Hudson trailers on the London via Felixstowe/Eorpoort (Rotterdam) to Venlo run,with collection on route there and deliveries on route back,5 times a fortnight.
Here are a couple of names some of you may remember from that year (81/82)…Natrans,Laurens Janzoon Costerstraat Venlo,where a trailer swap used to take place.This was abou 10 Miles or so from the Duisberg border crossing into Germany,and Frank Colemont from CHET office in Tegelen.
Some regular ports of call were Old blown out tyres to be collected from Roermond,Smeets Offset in Weertamong a few others that are so vague that I can’t remember their names or location…
My Vehicle was a P registered Ford Transcontinental In 2 tone blue with a red chassis and running gear.
I have to admit that having visited the Tegelen,Venlo Office on every trip,I only visited the Romford Essex Office only once,and that was very briefly to pick up some paperwork on route to Felixstowe
We used both The “Baltic ferry” and the “Nordic Ferry” both belonging to Townsend Thoresen,and they have since been absorbed,I believe,into P and O ferries

Hope this helps anyone interested…Den

Punchy Dan:
Is it the same man as pictured on the South Wales thread ,a scammell and tilt trailer ?

Is this the pic you were referring to?

I went through the whole of the South Wales thread looking as I used to pull for Chris Hudsons with a Scammell Crusader and I hoped it was a picture of mine as I don’t have any from back then, but it’s BRS.

chiris Hudson was owned by cargocare out of Venlo holand they folded chris Hudson and started cargocare running in to felixstowe
I know because I pulled there first trailor out of felixstowe I went to Venlo and saw 100s of chris Hudson trailors in there yard
I was told they were the money behind the company but had a problem the way hudsons was being run we had the sole contract for some time
john c

Re My earlier post,please see photo of my Transcon

marianpeters:

L-R Linda Coysten, Kim, Colin Kirby, Colin Clayton.