Some Old Seddon's

001.jpgA widely used lorry in the early years of BRS .we had many of them at Oxford on the export of cased cars ,the 25ft deck was very useful --toshboy just noted the copyright though .but many thanks to commercial motor for the pic .

I like the style of the MAYDAY SEDDON looks well with the sleeper and the higher roof. Eddie.

3300John:
Hiya …this had a 8 cylinder gardener fitted if it was a 240 or down rated i don’t know. i think she
had 4 drivers at this firm and never asked any of them if it was a 240 or not.

after mayday sold her she was operating in Ireland
John

Hello John Cadwallerders at Oswestryhad an identical one as well , it was the same cabs that Seddon put on dustcarts . thank you Trevor

Talking of the Cadwallader example, I put several pictures of Seddons with sleeper cabs on the Motor Panels thread two or three months ago. Robert

8396025974_4953898778_z.jpg

When i first started as a lad at Fred Chappells we had just one old Seddon tipper. I used to do fire clay from Leeds to Port Talbot steel works one way, Phurnacite return. Strewth I hated that Seddon with a passion, Perkins P6, the engine had a habit of running backwards, I hated the bloody thing, Fred knew it but he made me stick with it for a while and then he gave me my pride and joy, a fresh out of the box AEC Marshall, a great machine.
Shortly after that the Perkins set off running backwards in the yard at Batley and nobody could stop it, eventually it was screaming, smoke everywhere and it “expired”. Fred scrapped it after that. I went home smiling. :wink:

My Dad with his first lorry

robert1952:
Talking of the Cadwallader example, I put several pictures of Seddons with sleeper cabs on the Motor Panels thread two or three months ago. Robert

There was a firm from Ellesmere shropshire named Frank Ravenscroft he had sleeper cabbed Seddons as well i can remember , did work from Kronospan , thank you Trevor

tastrucker:

robert1952:

There was a firm from Ellesmere shropshire named Frank Ravenscroft he had sleeper cabbed Seddons as well i can remember , did work from Kronospan , thank you Trevor

Kronospan that’s a blast from the past I used to load back from there some years ago, Are they still going I wonder, Happy days , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

tastrucker:

robert1952:

Kronospan that’s a blast from the past I used to load back from there some years ago, Are they still going I wonder, Happy days , Regards Larry.

Hello Laurance , yes Kronospan are still going Cadwalladers were the main hauliers in there at one time , but know its a firm from wem called D and R Ford with Volvos . I believe most of the timber there comes by rail . thank you Trevor .

Antony Woodward’s old Seddon in Leicestershire

And again

If these pics are recent then this old motor will be a rare sight, there are not many old Seddon units about pre Motor Panels cabs. I would guess this has an AEC AV 505 or 470 engine, the Gardner 150 cabs always tended to have two air vents on the front panel below the screen. As an apprentice fitter I re-piped a fuel system on an old Seddon with this cab but fitted with the Scammell coupling and smaller wheels, looked a bit odd such a big cab on a small chassis but I bet it would be worth a bob or two today. It never got used again after I’d repaired it and went off to the scrap yard, what a shame it was in great condition too a restorers delight, I think it had a 5 cyl Gardner engine and Davy Brown box. Cheers Franky.

Just remembered my old Seddon Tractor brochure and checking it out it seems the little unit I worked on might have had the 6.354 fitted, wasn’t sure as I recall a 5LW in the fleet too! A couple of pages from the brochure.

Hi Franky
That Ouseburn Seddon looks spot on she is just ready to pull out and head for the A1. Eddie.

Frankydobo:
Just remembered my old Seddon Tractor brochure and checking it out it seems the little unit I worked on might have had the 6.354 fitted, wasn’t sure as I recall a 5LW in the fleet too! A couple of pages from the brochure.

BRS Queensferry had a few Seddon artics like that one . thank youTrevor

Eddie Wrote;
That Ouseburn Seddon looks spot on she is just ready to pull out and head for the A1.

Cheers Eddie that was my old man’s last motor before he packed in driving so I thought I’d put it in model form, he never got to see it though which was a shame. About ten years after this was new I had come out the Army and working for a local haulier I was sent to get some bits from a scrap yard and there was the cab next to a Sister motor’s cab, both looking sorry for themselves but all intact, the rest of the chassis etc was no where to be seen. I took the small Red badge off the rad hatch and I’ve still got it at home next to the model, good memories. Franky.

Seddon Mk 5

Stanfield:
Seddon Mk 5

Thats a blast from the past , they did work out of Metal Box Worcester , and based in Wyldes lane . regards Keith

My mate Dicks Seddon 32.4 with me Dad in the pilots chair