Some Old Seddon's

shugg:

gingerfold:
In it’s coach built cab vehicle ranges Seddon had some good medium weight and heavyweight lorries and the ranges offered a wide choice of engines and components. In fact it can be argued that Seddon did offer too many options and they drastically rationalised their range in the mid-1960s with the introduction of the Motor Panels cab. They had a loyal customer base and personal experience of a family business that ran Seddons found them to be good with excellent back up from the factory, although being at Bolton we were near to Oldham. They were cheaper than competing lorries with similar, or even identical drivelines. A Seddon 14/4/400 with Leyland O.400 Power Plus engine cost £2,350, which was about £300 cheaper than an equivalent Leyland Super Comet, doesn’t sound much, but in 1963 that was a reasonable amount of money and it paid for its 22’ ally and wood flat body. IIRC the 30/4/690 with AEC engine was about £400 cheaper than an AEC Mk.V Mandator with the same engine and gearbox. Seddon apparently worked on much smaller profit margins than others and maybe explains their perceived “cheapness” label, one of the charges that Atkinson levelled against them in the hostile takeover battle.

Thats a very interesting article on Seddon you have posted gingerfold , I am interested to note that AEC engined units were available on the open market and assumed they were a special build for nationalised companies .

Yes, both AEC and Leyland supplied engines into the “loose engine market” as it was called, both in the UK and overseas. At various times and in differing quantities AEC supplied engines to Albion, Atkinson, Dennis, Dodge, ERF, Guy, Rowe Hillmaster, and Seddon. I don’t know of any Leyland powered Atkinsons or ERFs, but they supplied the others in the above list plus Bedford, Foden, and Scammell. No doubt I’ve missed one or two others.