Bionic Bubbles.

timmyticket:
Heres one of Amesbury Transports F86’S

Tim

look’s like the odd night out was had in this little gem :slight_smile:

The Bionic Bubble, as far as I can remember the early tractor units produced 192 bhp and the later ones 202 bhp. They would pull very well if the pump was set to 2500 rpm at governor run out, which at the time was very high for a diesel engine.
I do remember the gearbox would crack the selector rail frame and the clutch was one pig to bleed unless you had a pressure bleeder. Apart from the cab rust not a bad lorry. I preferred to work on the F88 engine a lot easier.
Top liner seals were a problem on the early volvo’s.
I did set fire to one F86 cab during it’s second rebirth, after I had put the fire out I went and told my then boss one Barry Burton what had happened. Too my shock instead of thanks for saving the lorry I got “What the f—k did you do that for” lesson learnt.

I was lucky to have been allocated 2 of these little beauties during my time at D&D Transport Dundee but also remember Allisons Freightlines Dundeewhile I was with them getting several on demonstration from Ailsa Motors of Barrhead they had an E reg so that would have been around the mid 60,s

This must be a contender for “Most Bionic Bubble.” It is an F85- smaller brother to the 86- and it has been converted to a tractor unit! The premises is a vehicle workshop, so I assume it is used to shunt trailers about. The pic was taken in June this year, so it has lasted well.

I saw it in either Ryd or Urshult, Southern Sweden. Can’t remember which.

so what is the modern day equivalent of an F86, a cheap reliable workhorse!?

i suppose the nearest modern equivelant of an 86 would be something along the lines of an 1840 low cab axor or daf cf 85/360 or 410.
here’s the 86 i had

backsplice:
I was lucky to have been allocated 2 of these little beauties during my time at D&D Transport Dundee but also remember Allisons Freightlines Dundeewhile I was with them getting several on demonstration from Ailsa Motors of Barrhead they had an E reg so that would have been around the mid 60,s

My Dad was at Allisons late 1960’s at Glasgow and when they moved to near the steel mill at Gartcosh and he informs me the F86’s were E and F reg and on the steel contracts for Colvilles.

Photo with the courtesy of Jennifer Young, Regards Larry.

When i think back ,the 86 was ‘the’ motor that really finished off the british manufacturers in the Northants area , all the main hauliers Butty’s , wrefords , swifts & BRS bought many of them in the mid/late 70’s as their main bread n butter general haulage unit

cbuttF86.jpg

My biggest gripe about the earlier Volvos was their none standard wheels which couldn’t be used on any other motor,we only ever had the one a 240 F88 and I well remember a right "set to " I had one Sunday with Tyre Services because of a tyre failure they had caused on this F88,we hadn’t got a spare so had to get the tyre fitter out,the up shot of this debacle was Tyre Services lost a good customer as I kicked them into touch and it was all because of the non standard Volvo wheel.However,I never rated the F86 although I will concede that they were very popular especially where they supported by a good Dealer,was it Billows round Northampton ? and in our area it was Taits.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
My biggest gripe about the earlier Volvos was their none standard wheels which couldn’t be used on any other motor,we only ever had the one a 240 F88 and I well remember a right "set to " I had one Sunday with Tyre Services because of a tyre failure they had caused on this F88,we hadn’t got a spare so had to get the tyre fitter out,the up shot of this debacle was Tyre Services lost a good customer as I kicked them into touch and it was all because of the non standard Volvo wheel.However,I never rated the F86 although I will concede that they were very popular especially where they supported by a good Dealer,was it Billows round Northampton ? and in our area it was Taits.Cheers Bewick.

Yes the local dealer was Billows & why volvo 86’s & 240 88’s had the small hub is still a mystery to me :question:

when working for jack Bradley in Accrington around 1970 he had a few of the f86 tractor units.anyone got any pics or info. regards,jack preston. :slight_smile:

The only machine to outsell the F88 was the F86 …by two 86 to one 88 , the 86 motor developed in five stages from TD70A to B,C,D, and E versions (with a high speed back axel ), all versions came out of Volvo set at 2550 to 2650 rpm , for 30 ton or more the higher setting was needed , but some firms had revs of 2800 even 3000 or 3500 rpm ,this made them fly …and still it was a better motor to last than 290 88

My F86 in the foreground delivering squash courts in Holland

Nice , but why the motor oil ? , you had the diving boots on ? i had not time ever top up my oil on 86 between service ever !

Lilladan:
Nice , but why the motor oil ? , you had the diving boots on ? i had not time ever top up my oil on 86 between service ever !

Better to carry it and not use it than need it and not have it

boris:

Bewick:

Yes the local dealer was Billows & why volvo 86’s & 240 88’s had the small hub is still a mystery to me :question:

I think of a bigger mystery … why when the F86, 87 , 88, 89 all got much bigger drum , but the brakes where not as good as the small drums !, but supplied wid the car was a massiv wheel brace :neutral_face:

Looks like the bubbles burst Marcus :slight_smile:

…Well if its not burst its going down…

Never heard any one call the F86 a bubble until Bob Tuck around 20 years after end of 86 production , but this was the truck that made many haulage firms , the first lorry that made real money , the first lorry to mention the make of vehicle in an ad for a drivers job IE driver wanted for VOLVO truck the report from Commercial Motor was, it was like something from another planet LNL 465E was still doing TWO 400 mile trips ( wid 2 drivers) every 24 hours ! after NINE years hard work , did total of 1.8 million miles , then was road tested by CM after Volvo bought it REPORT SAID rev counter erratic NO OTHER FAULT , COULD STILL CARRY ON , the fuel it saved ALONE over most other makes was staggering (and only three gallons of oil to change oil and filter ) , and they were bigger than Ergomatic AECS why does no none say ``little Mandator `` for instans ,, the reporter thought the old F86 was a bit noisey , so EVEN IN 1978 THEY COULD NOT PLACE THEMSELVES BACK IN 1967 OR EVEN 1965 when system 8 came out and like now they compare them to modern trucks , not fair , no logic , went into many yards wid an 86 and turned round and they only knew i was there with my later one with the laud parking brake , the Bostrom Viking seat was the best ever , the 500 mile a day truck back in the 1960s , you are most welcome to your Gardners and ■■■■■■■■