chinese six

Folks, like a lot of you I thought that the name “Chinese Six” was applied just in the sense that a 6x2 is an oddball configuration compared to a 6x4.

Certainly the 6x2 twinsteeer ERF tractor we had used to make visiting Americans guffaw with mirth.

But I’m here to tell you that this venerable configuration is alive and well and living in - - China of course!

I’ve just come back from a business trip to Shanghai and can tell you that at least a third of the rigids on the road were 6x2s. There were ample 8-leggers and of course straight 4x2s, relatively few 6x4s and artics of all flavours, even the scary car transporters with a double row of cars on top.

I’ll try to post snaps if I can work out how, but for now, if you want to spot Chinese sixes - go to China!

cheers

Andy

Also in Spain,they used to get a lot of Chinese six. Here an old Pegaso:

AMOCO used to run a lot of Chinese sixes and double drive AEC’s the double drives were in anticipation of the weight limit going up to 38 ton but when it did not go up some were cut down to 4 wheel units but this caused a problem with the measurement between drive axle and trailer axle so trailer axles were moved forwards which
Meant all pipe work having to be altered on 6 and 7compartment tankers I drove both over the time I was with the at depots at Elesmere port and later Cadishead by the Manchester ship canal . The one in the photo had just been repainted in new livery but photographer chose to take photo in black and white.(idiot)

image.jpg

Express Dairy’s had some as well (might already be on here, but I can’t be arsed to look).

Chinese six were very uncommon in the Leicestershire coalfield Here are some exceptions

colinwallace1:

Now that is a ■■■■■■■ abortion IMHO !! Bewick.

Very popular with the tipper operators during the 60s,the company i served my time with had two LAD Dodge similar to this one which was owned by James Bacon of Manchester

There used to be a couple of those Bedfords like that floating around Brisbane in the 70’s I think it was. As Bewick says…

ZZ  BU9014.jpg

Bewick:

colinwallace1:

Now that is a [zb] abortion IMHO !! Bewick.

Doesn’t have to say Scania on the front to get the job done.
Well balanced weight wise, versatile and sure-footed on the corners.

Many a happy hour spent on London Carriers doing three yearly overhauls on Leyland Steers at Bromley workshops.

Hey, this chinese six sold well here as lorry as artic, and not Always for long distance. But with the new cab in '70 they disappered. In the beginning Fiat couldn’t deliver heavy front axles.
Much later Pegaso and Daf began to sold them.

Eric,

Spanish maker Pegaso were also keen on the Chinese Six arrangement, here is one from the 60’s.

Pegaso 1062.jpg

CCF20012009_00000.jpg

Do you reckon that’s the sole example, Robert? It certainly looks different.

This AEC Majestic had the good old transfer gearbox & a 7.7 Engine performed very well but was targeted regular by the Weights & Measures men as it was too easy to be overloaded on the back end, Regards Larry.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Do you reckon that’s the sole example, Robert? It certainly looks different.

I would imagine so, ROF. I expect it was specced for something specific and ended up on general haulage. Someone will know. It was about that time that twin-steers started having their 2nd axle to the rear. You’ll remember that Lowes ran an LV sleeper-cabbed ERF chinese-six unit. Robert :slight_smile: