Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

ok lads wheres this??

Hi to the Davies thread model underway of Tony Mapsons F12

Regards Jimski

loading wine in bordeaux,one of the old style cobbled courtyard’s,makes a change from your run of the mill warehouses :unamused:

waiting at the blanc for an ■■■■■■(vehicle not lady) when who should appear as the button was pressed?? :unamused: :unamused:

Hi all the “Yesterday Man”

Regards Jimski

Just to get the page up: Is that a “Coach” drivers shirt this trucker is wearing?

Hello Gazzer. I believe the shirt derives from his days on here as a subby for Denny Belbin when he was better known to his colleagues as ‘Fred Scuttle’ We even had a magnetic sign made up to take pride of place on the side of his new FH which clearly stated to passers by, ‘See Driver For Details’. He was never able to obtain a full time driving job on coaches due to his persistent need to stop every two hours for A Milky Way, Ham, Egg and Chips, a quick ‘burn’ and a fiver in the nearest fruity (Always in that order).

Jimski:
Hi all the “Yesterday Man”

Regards Jimski

Jimski - absolutely fantastic detail. I know Tony was and is particularly fond of this truck and it was special as it was the first ever brand new truck we ever had. Supplied obviously by Princes Commercials when they were up Millbrook and painted by BP Rolls of Andover. I believe it cost on the road circa £39K with it’s famous ‘Kitchen Pack’. I know Tony Bradfield ended up with it and it is highly likely it is scrap now, but would love it if it was somewhere to be seen.

Hi Horry thanks mate ! Well I said I was gonna do one of your old fleet and when Tony put a pic on here of this truck on top of the Blanc with aSolstor trailer he said that when he had that truck and trailer it was the happiest time of his driving career so it had to be that one, I’m still doing the trailer but the going is slow but shouldn’t be to long now when it’s done I’ll put it on here.

Regards Jimski

Thanks Jim, cannot wait to see it finished. The old Globetrotters were special in their own way as they were the last in two tone blue and red. The Scanias came back into the fleet then when the colours changed to what we still have today which was around 1988 / 89. The first two to arrive were second hand and am sure they came from a Dutch company called Doveys? When they turned up the cabs were Green. D385 GDD (112) was driven by Steve Maybe amongst others and E650 NDG by Mr Clue and later by Steve ‘Rocky’ Cherett from IOW. A picture was posted one here a while ago of it pulling a Skillbeech Tilt with Mr Clue at the helm. Knew it was him as he had ironed creases down the middle of his white socks! Always liked the two tone blue and were always a familiar sight from our landing window on a Sunday morning when we woke up. Parked in the bus stop across the road from home. There was always one of more of the lads just shipped in on Sat night boat from Le Havre having breakfast in the kitchen. Don’t know who got it, but someone once got hold of a ‘Les Routiers’ sign for the old man to put on the side of the house! This was’nt a problem when on traction for STS / Robert Armstrong / ASR as it was usually just the unit. Think the neighbours started getting a bit boistrous though when a Thermo King was roaring away!

mappo:
Evening all,here,s a couple more of Buzzers oldies

Pics courtesy of Horrie

Mickey Long washing XVW which he had after me.
Bit of advertising for you Les. ( we,ll arrange the fee later ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When this one was bought, it arrived in ASR colours and remained so for a few months. Driven for a while by Ken Daly. The engine went bang at the Hockley lights junction at Winchester. He won’t mind me saying but was being driven by FT at the time. Think he had just offloaded a tank for Robert Armstrong. He was towed past the lights to safety by a Police Range Rover!

Gazzer…Dunno where you got it from, but what a good photo of my dad. :unamused: :unamused:

Jimski…Hurry up mate and get the trailer finished, i,ve renewed my passport and my bags
are packed ready to ship out, preferably on " The Dragon ". :smiley: :smiley:

Horry…Good to see you on here mate, i remember well the " Fred Scuttle " episode and also your Dad
putting the signs on the lorry secretly while i was fuelling up. I can visualise it as if were yesterday…Brilliant. :blush: :astonished: :smiley:
I,m pretty sure i,ve got pics somewhere but cant find em.
Breakfast at your house after getting off Ferry…Legendary…Yer Mum,s brekkies were to die for…Thanks Jill.

Hi all cheers Horry for the info, I’d like to do one of the Scanias as well in the two tone but got a list to do all ready but I’m sure one day I’ll get round to it! I didn’t know Steve Cherrett was on for you? I shipped out with Steve on my first trip to Italy, bloody story’s he told me about when he was on the middle east run bloody good driver old Steve.
Cheers Horry.
Hi Tony working on it as fast I can :laughing:

Regards Jimski

Jimski: When you get the SOLSTOR trailer done, you could do a foto shoot of mine and TIR’s trucks together as it was in the foto at Modane! Location Location Location!

Evening Jim. Snap - He took me out out my first trip as well. (Not as a driver though, think I was nine or ten at the time) Never forget your first trip! Went to Venice, tipped then empty to a place called ‘Trani’ (not a radio) near to Bari to load grapes. Always remember getting to the packhouse on the Saturday morning and being told the load would not be ready until Sunday morning. There were two brothers who worked for the packhouse doing deliveries / collections and had a brand new 143. That evening, they turned up unannounced and said to Steve they were taking us out for the evening for a meal. We ended up going out with all of the family and they insisted they pay for everything. There was a festival on at the time in the town. The next morning, knocked up at 5am local, Steve opened the back doors up under their instruction. At least two dozen ladies of various ages got in the back along with the packaging and empty pallets. They seemed to quite happy to have a lift in complete darkness! Steve followed the main man and reversed down a chalk roadway into the middle of the grapevines and the day was spent with the ladies grading and packing the load on the back of the trailer. Think we finally left around tea time - next stop home!!! I actually spoke to Steve whilst at the August get together via Gaz IOW who kindly passed me over to him for a few words. Don’t think he was expecting me at the end of the line and promised to come next year.

Hi Horry I also spoke to Steve before the Aug roundup and tried to get him to come but he couldn’t get off work although he did try!! My first trip was Perelli Cuneo if memory serves me, reload from Italmondo Milan, the good old days ! And it was November time plenty of fog and snow ! But loved it !!

Hi Gazzer, Hope your well mate,yeah I’ll do that see how close I can get it !!

Regards Jimski

Just a couple of my oldies,cutting across country downto Split from the north,fond memorys

scan0015.jpg

gazzer:
Jimski: When you get the SOLSTOR trailer done, you could do a foto shoot of mine and TIR’s trucks together as it was in the foto at Modane! Location Location Location!

Like this one Gazzer ■■?

That’ll do nicely Tone!

Hi Tony funny enough I’ve got two trucks just like that !!! :laughing: :laughing: R Jimski