Concord express

I used to work for Concorde Transport in 1985 untill 1987 on the overseas division running out of Poyle 14(colnbrook) the picture of the f89 is similar to the one that I used to drive…I had the F89 …WJO 712R this was passed down to me from good old Mick nick named “the bear” when he was on middle east runs with this truck,he sadly passed away quite a few years ago but is still remembered by me.At the time I was the youngest overseas driver that Concorde transport had (23yrs old)The old F89 gave up on me on a run out to germany just past what is jcn 8 M25 now.The truck was sold onto a wrecker company after that and was converted into a wrecker which later went on to feature in an issue of Truck and driver in the early 90s,i went on to be given a B reg Daf 3300 in the new concorde colours…nice but not a patch on the old F89…I do have photos which I hope to be able to scan and put on this web site.

i used to work with a bloke in the late 80s who had worked for the manchester depot, his name was roy,(can’t remember his sir name)
, can anyone remember him, i think he lived in stockport

HI,IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I HAVE NOW PUT SOME OLD PHOTOS OF MY DAYS AT CONCORDE TRANSPORT, HOPE THEY MIGHT JOG A FEW MEMORIES FOR PEOPLE!! CHECK THEM OUT…

Just come across this thread … I ran for Concorde back in the 80,s I had a daf 3300 which was kitted up for Saudi but never went so I had all the toys in it, and I think the guy from Stockport was called Ray not Roy we were both based at man airport and we ran down to heathrow every night for air France and across the water down to frejus once a fortnight … Arhhhh the good old days

On the airfreight work. Photo just down from the Orchard Cafe(opposite Concorde’s yard) A30 Staines road.Remember they had another place opposite the Green Man pub,Hatton Cross.I worked out of the Gondrand place aswell which was in the same road.

Malcolm Roberts from Moston Manchester drove for them for a while,not sure if he is still about.

David

mushroomman:
An old mate of mine called Dave Longdon used to drive for them in 1987.
I.I.R.C. they had a depot in Cheadle near Manchester and a depot near Heathrow. They used to do a lot of air freight to Frankfurt and Paris along with computer equipment. I remember talking to two of their drivers once at the entrance to the Mont Blanc Tunnel. They had been waiting for two days for Italian permits. :unamused:

Stanley Green Industrial Estate, Cheadle Hulme was where the depot was located.

IMG_2377 by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
Saw this old throwback,yesterday,near Clifden,west of Ireland.

i remember someone asking about this firm but i cant find it so maybe this will jog somones memory

Saw a lot of them on M/E in the early days.Don’t know what became of them.

Used to see a lot of them parked outside volvos place at heathrow they had D1000 drawbars with luton bodies

An old mate of mine called Dave Longdon used to drive for them in 1987.
I.I.R.C. they had a depot in Cheadle near Manchester and a depot near Heathrow. They used to do a lot of air freight to Frankfurt and Paris along with computer equipment. I remember talking to two of their drivers once at the entrance to the Mont Blanc Tunnel. They had been waiting for two days for Italian permits. :unamused:

I remember them form the 70s-80s think they were based in Bedfont opposite the cafe on the A30.the name of which I can’t remember :blush:
Even worse when I think I done a days work for them back in the late 80s
with no less than …yes a luton D 800 :laughing:
I think they stopped trading about 1986.?
Going back a bit further did Concorde start off as Flying tigers from Langley Berkshire with PINK :laughing: F88s /f86 their yard was St Mary’s road. That was back about 1970 I think. :confused:
Anyone remember Flying tigers…
:confused:

“Anyone remember Flying tigers”… oh gosh yes , then ended up with Roy Bowles transport, happy days

old skool kid:
I remember them form the 70s-80s think they were based in Bedfont opposite the cafe on the A30.the name of which I can’t remember :blush:
Even worse when I think I done a days work for them back in the late 80s
with no less than …yes a luton D 800 :laughing:
I think they stopped trading about 1986.?
Going back a bit further did Concorde start off as Flying tigers from Langley Berkshire with PINK :laughing: F88s /f86 their yard was St Mary’s road. That was back about 1970 I think. :confused:
Anyone remember Flying tigers…
:confused:

what was I thinking FLYING CARGO not Flying Tigers
although I remember flying tigers from LHR. or was it LOL. :laughing:
Going back a bit further did Concorde start off as Flying cargo from Langley Berkshire with PINK :laughing: F88s /f86 their yard was St Mary’s road. That was back about 1970 I think. :confused:

truckerash wrote:

ps: Concorde did Middle East with Dafs and F89’s!!!

Bestbooties wrote:
Saw a lot of Concorde Express as they were known on the M/E in the '70’s.Don’t know where they got some of their drivers from,met one on one trip who had just come from being an airline steward!

They had similar spec 2800s & 89s to PIE motors with the aircon on the roof & I think the 89s had the big filter at the top of the air stack. they were everywhere in the 70s

This is young Trubrit in an aforementioned Flying Cargo F88 circa 1980ish.
It was one of two that had been traded in for two brand new DAF 2800’s out of Vale DAF trucks at Watford. IIRC

Harry, work your magic on the pic above please, an ERF in the same shot as a 290 88, there must be some kind of law against it, how can I admire a piece of automotive beauty when that monstrosity is in the same field of view, Trubrit can you also put a warning on posts of that kind, nowhere was the name ERF mentioned, lucky I wasn’t eating my dinner, I could’ve choked :laughing: :laughing: