British road Services

Not read all this thread, only just found it, mainly because I never worked for BRS. Nearly did though, when I came back from Oz, probably '69, I applied at Nottingham. The manager asked me ‘how would you get from here to Manchester?’ Because I’d been away and had forgotten I said ‘Err’. Didn’t get the job. Just as well found another with a privateer the next day which I am sure was better, remembered my way to Manchester by then too. :laughing:

Going back through the thread I noticed some old Southampton hands posting and wondered if anyone knew my ‘Uncle’ George Bunce. He was only an uncle because he was my Dad’s best friend from schooldays and ran his own haulage company on the IoW. Taken over by BRS in '46, I suppose he stayed on as manager and refused to budge from what he must have seen as an easier way of life after de-nationalisation, I think he ended his working days in the job. Before that though my Dad drove for him in his holidays, no need of a licence in those days of course.

The last time I saw him was back in the '80s when we visited the island for a petanque competition and called in for breakfast on the way home.