Norfolk haulage companies

haddy:
Here’s an old firm, Cullings of Claxton near Loddon. They did a bit of everything and ran coaches too.
I think this was in Kings Lynn cattle market and the old boy with the bell signals the start of the sale. I really love this picture.

the other lorry is one of bill jacobs he was thornham and then moved to ringstead ,my old chap drove for him for over 10 years late 60s until he packed up late 70s fodens with150 gardners .pulling coils off lynn docks happy days

Hello Fred, I remember coming across one of Jacobs on the A47 early one morning and the swan-neck had broken on his low-loader. He couldn’t go forwards or backwards and completely helpless.He was loaded with steel coils and was a “little bit on the heavy side”. I took him to the next phone-box, which was at Duddington, and stayed to make sure the phone was working then went on my way. It must have cost a bomb to recover the stricken outfit, big crane, two wagons to take the load and that’s without the wrecker. This was in the mid '70s, and I never heard any more about it. Anyway mate I’ll send you a private message. Regards Haddy, Gt.Yarmouth.

Hi cf95daf,
just joined the forum yesterday, i have some photos of Roger Mills Volvo lorries, in 1980 Roger
Mills brother Rodney lived next door to me in Oulton Broad and he gave me the photos, they
taken at there farm in Browston in 1973 and show the Volvo F86 and a new F88 with a new
40ft York trailer,when i left school in 1971 i got an apprenticeship at Days of Lowestoft in
working under my uncle who was in charge of truck paint shop,Roger Mills used to bring there
lorries in for servicing and repairs and i remember the Volvo being fitted with a new cab after
an accident which i then resprayed, they also had a ERF 4 wheeler with drawbar trailer which
i believe was new to J W Leggott of Beccles, i would post the photos on the forum but do not
know how to do it yet so if you send me a pm i will get them copied and send them to you,
i hope this little bit of infomation was of some interest.

Hi Dinkyboy56!

Many thanks for your interesting information, have sent you a PM as requested.

Regards, Pete

(CF85DAF)

CF85DAF:
Hi Dinkyboy56!

Many thanks for your interesting information, have sent you a PM as requested.

Regards, Pete

(CF85DAF)

Don’t forget to put them on here CF! Cheers Haddy.

My Mum has just found these photographs for me… enjoy!

M Gaze of Thurlton. Really old firm, still going strong.
Haddy will probably have some older stuff !!

m gaze fh12.jpg
m gaze foden.jpg
m gaze curtainside.jpg

m gaze fh13.jpg

Unfortunatley I haven’t any thing older than the Foden S40 despite asking around. It would certainly be nice to see some of the Albions and AECs they ran when I was a kid. Also some pics of JW Leggets when they ran Albions, Leylands, ERFs etc. out of Beccles would be nice. Ray Askew drove a TK artic for them in the early '60s before he started up on his own it might be worth giving him a call. There must be stuff from the early days yet to be discovered. Cheers Haddy.

haddy:
Unfortunatley I haven’t any thing older than the Foden S40 despite asking around. It would certainly be nice to see some of the Albions and AECs they ran when I was a kid. Also some pics of JW Leggets when they ran Albions, Leylands, ERFs etc. out of Beccles would be nice. Ray Askew drove a TK artic for them in the early '60s before he started up on his own it might be worth giving him a call. There must be stuff from the early days yet to be discovered. Cheers Haddy.

When I worked there the office wall had some really interesting old pictures. My dad still sees Kenny Leggett occasionally & i’ve asked if I can copy those old photos & any more the Leggett family might have. So heres fingers crossed.

I’m trying Haddy !!!

hi all just wondering do any of you norfolk boys know for fuel tank for f88 89 bubble type it seems there were o lot of 88 89s up there its the last part i need to rebuild my 89 thanks rowland

rward:
hi all just wondering do any of you norfolk boys know for fuel tank for f88 89 bubble type it seems there were o lot of 88 89s up there its the last part i need to rebuild my 89 thanks rowland

You could try Mark ‘Ratchet’ Farrow. MDF Transport, Gt Yarmouth 01493 441444.
If anybody knows where to find a Volvo part, it’ll probably be him.

Long gone, from Gt Yarmouth.

A couple more

dutton fiat.JPG

A good old Norfolk haulier… Volvo F89 4x2 & Norfolk Line tilt of John D Fairweather, Great Yarmouth.

J D Fairweather Volvo F89 RVG 289R 4x2 & Norfolk Line Tilt_01.jpg

norfolktrucker:
Long gone, from Gt Yarmouth.7654321

Anyone know the names of the guys in the first picture, appears to be a truck handover from Duffields, the Norwich based Volvo truck dealer now operated by the manufacture, :frowning:

Another long-gone Norfolk haulier, Volvo F88 4x2 GPW 331N and tandem-axle flatbed from R H Thomson.

Regards, Pete

CF85DAF:
A good old Norfolk haulier… Volvo F89 4x2 & Norfolk Line tilt of John D Fairweather, Great Yarmouth.

i drove this 16 for a bit after Fairweather had sold it, havent got any pics of when i drove it, it wasnt as smart as this pic thou, and it had a tag axle fitted

CF85DAF:

Thats not a F89 its a F88 volvo 240 a swiss spec truck JDF had it new and changed the front grill from small square one, was agood truck

Ratch:

CF85DAF:

Thats not a F89 its a F88 volvo 240 a swiss spec truck JDF had it new and changed the front grill from small square one, was agood truck

Driven by Ronnie Becket for a long time, then John himself drove it just before he finished operating.

MacHayes from Forncett nr Long Stratton, my dad worked here when he ran 141s and 142s,

so was lucky enough not to drive one of these

DHL Thetford

Jobe

My dad in Madrid, as was i as i took the picture (i was there with TransAm)