Norfolk haulage companies

Some of you older Norfolk drivers will maybe remember British Industrial Sand wagons running out of Middleton east of King’s Lynn.They were in black livery in early 1960s,LAD cabbed Leyland Octopuses. I was in Lynn one Friday night in me RAF uniform looking for a lift to Sheffield and two BIS 8-leggers appeared,the first one stopping for me.They were both bound for the glassworks at Knottingley IIRC and didn’t hang about.As we dropped down into Newark the fog off the Trent loomed up and was really thick,all I could see was my driver’s mate’s back lights in front,a bit too close to be honest. :frowning:
Anyway we negotiated the town centre and got onto that 3 lane bit of the A1 that went past the sugar factory. Yer man int front Octopus decided he was going to start overtaking in this fog and my driver just followed him,passing convoys of slow moving wagons barely visible at my side.I’m a good passenger but have to admit that I was sh*tting misen,wondering if owt was coming tother way in that middle lane. :open_mouth:
Then as if by a miracle the fog just disappeared and I could see again,talk about relief. :grimacing:
Those Octopuses could really shift,I think they were a shortish wheelbase. It wasn’t long before I was dropped off at the A57 island outside Worksop to get another lift to Sheffield.
And I think that sand quarry at Middleton is still open,although not sure who owns it now.