Romac transport of sandwich

truckerash:
I remember Romac, always thought the black and red and orange livery was very distinctive and striking.

I stumbled on this site quite by accident when I was feeling nostalgic and looking up pics of DAF3300s. Imagine how shocked I was to see a pic of my Dad’s truck here! He had Black Baron signwritten on the front of it and those twin airhorns used to make me jump out of my skin every time Dad hit them … lol. When Dad got the DAF, it was the newest truck on the fleet and the first one to have air suspension. It was also the only DAF at the time, most of the rest of the fleet being Volvos.

My Dad, Geoff Chantler, worked as an OD for Romac during the late 70s/early 80s and his friend, Dennis Ironmonger, also worked there driving a left hook F88 (gawd, who remembers those■■? lol). I have very fond memories of the spud runs to Holland and Belgium, and often went with him during the school holidays. I remember Johnny Mac very well and I believe it was Norma that worked in the office although I can’t be sure. If anyone remembers them and has any memories of them, I’d love you to share them.

I did a little research into Romac Haulage and was sad to see that it was dissolved in 1998. Anyone know why or what happened to Johnny Mac?

All the best :slight_smile:

Last time I met jonny mac he was working for Salvatori, at the time that they suddenly got big around year 2000 ish. I never worked for Romac, worked for Charlwood/ Mattheuus instead. Somebody on here mentioned Romac & Goddard -Goddard (P&M Goddard) was a subbie for Charlwood, then sold up and concentrated on his farm. His driver was a fellow called Steve (Peck?? I think) who was a nice a guy as you will ever meet, but sadly passed away while working for Mike Beer -heart attack I think while parked at Alconbury truck stop.
The Charlwood 142 pictured above was a Danish spec one - a Gilder import I think, it was driven by Tony Fox while Iwas there in about 1992ish.

kmills:
Last time I met jonny mac he was working for Salvatori, at the time that they suddenly got big around year 2000 ish. I never worked for Romac, worked for Charlwood/ Mattheuus instead. Somebody on here mentioned Romac & Goddard -Goddard (P&M Goddard) was a subbie for Charlwood, then sold up and concentrated on his farm. His driver was a fellow called Steve (Peck?? I think) who was a nice a guy as you will ever meet, but sadly passed away while working for Mike Beer -heart attack I think while parked at Alconbury truck stop.
The Charlwood 142 pictured above was a Danish spec one - a Gilder import I think, it was driven by Tony Fox while Iwas there in about 1992ish.

If you check on the Kent thread I have posted some photos of the great man,Steve Pech when we were on holiday together.
I am sure Steve worked for Charlewood IIRC he had an ERF or a Seddon.
Steve

You’re almost right -it was an ex GBE Pegaso that Steve drove for Charlwood. I’ll have a look on the Kent thread at pics of steve - he was an absolute gentleman.

I have vague recollections of Salvatori. Well, I remember the name, at least. Everyone seemed to work everywhere at some point or another; the trucking world was quite insular in that area then, I think. My earliest memory when we moved to that area was Dad working for a firm (I think it was Smithers?) that had a depot at the top of Channel View Road in Dover and boy, that road was lethal when it snowed. He had a Seddon Atkinson at the time and I remember coming down that road sideways one winter morning, not being able to stop at the bottom and going straight across the road at the bottom! Luckily, it was about 4am so there was no traffic but it was still very scary! I was about 13 at the time and scared easily … lol.

Been trying to think of other truckers that I knew back then; Tony Ash and Julian Key come to mind, and I’ll post more when I can jog my poor old memory!

kmills:
You’re almost right -it was an ex GBE Pegaso that Steve drove for Charlwood. I’ll have a look on the Kent thread at pics of steve - he was an absolute gentleman.

Trying to upload a piccie but it will not have it.
Try this
i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 … _00000.jpg

Boy could that man tuck away the ales.

Here ya go.

Harry Monk:
Here ya go.

Harry
Many thanks for that.
Steve Pech was one of those guys who was a priviledge to know.
I first met him in around 1986 when he first started for Mike Goddard and drove the P cabbed 82 Scania.
I had just landed in Dover and got nailed by the Ministry man grossing 44 tons.
They let me go to Mike’s yard as long as I promised to off load the 6 tons overload.
Of course I would!!!
Quick call to Mr.G and found out his new driver was going north that evening and could swop
trailers until we got to Birmingham.
Up rolls the 82 Scania with a tilt with 2 tons on.
I will never forget the sight of a pair of headlights going further an further towards the sky as he wound up the landing gear.
Sorry,I’ve hijacked the Romac thread but he was a good guy.
The cursing from Steve on the CB as I rattled up the old Folkestone Road with a virtually empty tilt behind the 142 was unforgettable.
was unfogettable.

tom dodds:
can anyone remember my dad tommy dodds he worked for romac had that globetrotter in photo with wheeldiscs on

Hi Tom. I remember your dad. I got rat-faced with him a couple of times when I was on for Jonny Mac. Once in Lokeren Truck Stop on return from Padderborn waiting for a reload just before Christmas. Last I heard of Tommy he was running Greece for some mob in the east end with a taffy who reckoned he was Tom Jones cousin.
Is he back with Ric Matheuws? The 1st time he worked for him Ric’s mrs was always on his case about receipts when he put in for expenses so the next time he went down the road he paid for a Tom on dkv and got her to write a receipt for him which read “lady of the night” in french and Ric’s mrs went garrity when she got the receipt in his expenses sheet.
I liked Tommy he was a good bloke to be on the road with. Come to think of it most of the crew who were on Romac when I was there were a good bunch. We certainly had some good times on the Sally on a Friday night shipping back from Dunkirk. A lot of us southern lads had trouble understanding Tommy’s accent at times but luckily we had a lad from Derby who could translate. lol. There was one bloke called Compo though was a bit full of himself. Never found out why he was called Compo. Maybe someone on here might know.

TREV:
THE driver in the BARRIO F12 GLOBETROTTER is the late mr keith godden hope this helps , there was also a driver/owner by the name of FRANK he pulled trls ex ramsgate for deadmans transport ,he had one of romacs volvos any one remember him ?

Well bloody hell it maybe is a small world. I was looking for some stuff on motorbikes, particularly on the Godden engines and I ended up following a link to my natural home. I am not sure whether Keith Godden was related to the famous Don Godden of long track and grass track fame, but it is a fairly uncommon name, even in Kent. Mitchell Godden is still racing and is a member of the ACU

Don Godden built this v Twin 1000cc for sidecar grasstrack racing

Joe:
Nice looking Romac F12

I can remember Romacs Glogetrotters going into McCain at Whittlesey , remember thinking at the time these look the bees knees , as has been said before there weren’t too many globetrotters around back then , incidentally how many globetrotters did Romacs run ? i seem to remember reading they had 6… download/file.php?id=10144&mode=viewabout

roadcruiser:

Joe:
Nice looking Romac F12

The bloke driving the green Barrio’s motor on the first page is Keith Godden, after leaving Barrios he started on his own, unfortunately he had a heart attack whilst in Spain & died. I used to work my lorries on Detrafor in the early 80’s & fill up in Romacs yard, then Detrafor would contra it out of your money, he must have had an agreement with them do this. Heres a few pictures of my motors in the 80’s. ■■■■ R J Matthew Transport Ltd (Sittingbourne)

Flyingrabbit:

roadcruiser:

Joe:
Nice looking Romac F12

The bloke driving the green Barrio’s motor on the first page is Keith Godden, after leaving Barrios he started on his own, unfortunately he had a heart attack whilst in Spain & died. I used to work my lorries on Detrafor in the early 80’s & fill up in Romacs yard, then Detrafor would contra it out of your money, he must have had an agreement with them do this. Heres a few pictures of my motors in the 80’s. ■■■■ R J Matthew Transport Ltd (Sittingbourne)

does anyone remember this truck it was my dads Micky King
sub for romac

Yes, I remember that truck, and also the Scania he had before it.

Carl:
here ya go wolfie the shunter in the yard at dover

I have bought this old girl for a restoration project if any one tell me out about her I will be much appreciated ,Steve :smiley:

Hi Stevie V8 it would be a very good bet that Charlwood Scania came through the hands of Peter Gilder of Bourton on the Water Gloucester as the reg is OAD and this was common for his motors to have that prefix. Having bought quite a few of his Scania imports my self from Peter in the late 80’s and early 90’s we had E156 OAD AND E42 OAD both from him the other being RDF, some were ex Dutch pig carts from Holland, never had night heaters in but they never got cold doing two trips to Italy every week one to Rome the second to Naples. Give Gilders a ring they may have some history on your old girl, all the best Buzzer.

PS. Peter Gilder bought about 30 Scanias from a German operator who bought the parcel straight from Scania’s on the change over to the 3 series but he had to run them in Germany for three months and sell them second hand which was part of the deal.

Buzzer:
Hi Stevie V8 it would be a very good bet that Charlwood Scania came through the hands of Peter Gilder of Bourton on the Water Gloucester as the reg is OAD and this was common for his motors to have that prefix. Having bought quite a few of his Scania imports my self from Peter in the late 80’s and early 90’s we had E156 OAD AND E42 OAD both from him the other being RDF, some were ex Dutch pig carts from Holland, never had night heaters in but they never got cold doing two trips to Italy every week one to Rome the second to Naples. Give Gilders a ring they may have some history on your old girl, all the best Buzzer.

PS. Peter Gilder bought about 30 Scanias from a German operator who bought the parcel straight from Scania’s on the change over to the 3 series but he had to run them in Germany for three months and sell them second hand which was part of the deal.

Cheers for that buzzer . the old girl is a bit rotten but on the button got her back home in ■■■■■■■ hoping to make a start in the next week or so . would like any information on the type of work she did and places she went or any photos any one has ,. Much appreciated Steve

Hi again SV8 looking at that tank on your 142 this could have been an ex Swedish motor as the 112 that ran for us was I believe an ex Christianson motor and was red and grey so when you rub her down you may find those colours underneath. Be carefull as while we loaded one day out of a tight place the driver went up on a curb and beat the drain bung out and let gallons of diesel over the road. All ours were on air as well and longer wheel base than English spec motors which gave a far nicer ride, we bought a new 143 in 89 on air but it still bucked you about a bit. Those old V8’s could take some stick and we had little trouble from them.
We run modern Scania’s today after 20 odd years with Volvo and they are far better on fuel.
When you done yours ,is it for show or to go to work with ? BI Bi for now Buzzer.

img396.jpg

img397.jpg

Buzzer:
Hi again SV8 looking at that tank on your 142 this could have been an ex Swedish motor as the 112 that ran for us was I believe an ex Christianson motor and was red and grey so when you rub her down you may find those colours underneath. Be carefull as while we loaded one day out of a tight place the driver went up on a curb and beat the drain bung out and let gallons of diesel over the road. All ours were on air as well and longer wheel base than English spec motors which gave a far nicer ride, we bought a new 143 in 89 on air but it still bucked you about a bit. Those old V8’s could take some stick and we had little trouble from them.
We run modern Scania’s today after 20 odd years with Volvo and they are far better on fuel.
When you done yours ,is it for show or to go to work with ? BI Bi for now Buzzer.

Cheers buzzer , probably just for shows but who knows ! Are you the owner of the Davies transport ? Smart line up :slight_smile: