Essex Companies

Just joined the forum. Great to see so many familiar names.
I came out of the forces in 78 and joined Atlas Express - Benfleet as a night trunk driver upto Newport Pagnell and back (easy street!)
Moved to Henry Smithers at Orsett initially as a shunter taking the skellies down to the testing station at purfleet and then onto general container work. Spent a miserable 6 weeks on the picket line at both the depot and Tilbury Docks during the big strike. Left Smithers and went to E & K Benton of Horndon on the Hill. Great company, great trucks, working on the tippers with F88’s and they were one of the first to have the F10. Does anybody remember them and are they still on the go? Did the odd run for Mairs out of Tilbury mainly in their F86. Did a bit of work for HT transport at West Thurrock. Remember Thomas Allens of Stanford le Hope, Brain Haulage of Grays, Canute Haulage who were a rough old outfit on the bricks with second hand Scanias (Look at them now!!)
Moved to Scotland and worked for United Carriers, Gretna. United Carriers bought Atlas Express just after I joined (small world).
Went into Management for a few years and then returned to driving with Sawyers Northern Ireland (culture shock!!!) Did a bit for Robert Burns out of Edinburgh before starting my own business, Cargen Transport out of Dumfries. Lasted 4 years, went bust! Ended up with Deb Smith out of Prestwick Airport who got bought over by JHC Haulage. Went back into office with JHC who have now been bought over by Circle Express.
34 years of my life in the haulage game in just 13 lines!! Anyone out there share any memories of these companies?

E & K Benton of Horndon on the Hill

All their motors have gone now and have something to do with Fermac (spelling)
The farmhouse and farm are still going just the transport side has gone.

jeakins are still going, went past there place just off durham road on friday.

Does any one remember Ramhill Transport, i think they were somewhere near Brentwood. I seem to remember the motors were red cream and brown, they ran F10’s 88’s 86’s SedAK 200’S, they were two brothers and one was called wag.
My brother drove for them in about 1984 it was just before i started senior school, and i went with him in the summer holiday. He drove an F10 but it was off the rod so we had the pleasure of the Sedatk 200 and an ex Christian Salvesan Merc 1617 for the week. He left there to go and drive for Cheale meats where he had an A reg 142, not bad for a 25yr old.

Hi all … Anyone remember AJ Corbyn Transport … used to park up mostly at the Eveready (Berec) building opposite the Ship & Shovel (same side of A13 but was based at Kingsbridge Road (West of Volunter roundabout / Flyover) used to run Leylands (Blue & Silver with Red chassis) mostly, I started in Buffalo moved to a Marathon with various bits & bobs along the way including an ex DCL atkinson Borderer with a 250 ■■■■■■■ as I remember … There was a Tommy Balllantyne, Bobby Phillips, Terry Brady, Peter “the Tilt” (whose other name escapes me) Leader of the gang was Alfie Corbyn with his right hand man Terry North, and who could forget Peter Longhurst (fork truck supastar) … now I know I’ve missed a Geoff (driver) … I’d probably do a better job at remembering the reg numbers …

This site is the best read I’ve had in a long time …

Looking forward to any replies

Brian

Thats[/quolll=“Mark R”]I was led to believe that the Felgate Scania 112, AJN 414X was used by Scania for press photos as it was one of the first series 2 Scanias to go on the road. Dont know if this is true, but im sure someone does!

Thats true Felgates had the first 2 series in the country and they were in the TRUCK MAG.A family member of mine had one,it wasnt long after this that Russell Davis took them over.

:smiley:

Bent Marshall.
Well known Plant amd HH firm back in the day

Scammell Crusader OYH 197R by plantters, on Flickr

And as it is now… May need a little filler in the cab :wink:

OYH 197R SCAMMEL CRUSADER by plantters, on Flickr

A couple of Kentvale photos when they were running out of the Plessey Buildings.
First one is in services around Bonneville area.
Second one is Aosta

rorykk:
Hi all, just joined the site, i live in Ireland but lived and worked in Harwich for meny yrs, i worked for Alan Cook haulage who shared a yard with Mathew Cornish transport next door too Harwich express, i also worked for Jim Gossbell, does any one remember these two company,s and do you have any photo’s especially OF a 141 i drove reg no XHK 589X… :question: :question: :question:

i do my dad used to own that truck only pics i have of it , wax last on the road in 98"

from what i can remember as i was only 6-7 at the time now 27 , my dad part ex’d for a white and red f12 globetrotter , they guy who took the 141 got the last complete front end from scania and went on to use it on p+o ferrymasters

frenchy:
Do you Essex drivers remember Hery Smithers of Orset , I joined HS in Southampton in 1973 and was in Orset alot for fuel after loading Timber and Containers , I had a few mates but blowed if I can remember any names , be good if there`s any Smither drivers out there , still alive like me , just. .
Frenchy

My Grandad (Bert Ballard) used to drive for Henry Smithers out of Barking. Not sure if he was ever based at Orsett. Sadly he is dead now so have no way of knowing. I do remember travelling there a few times in his old ERF HS liveried truck and later in his F7 P&O Roadways unit (reg B902 SPW, unit number 1302!) for a repair or to pick up a trailer. Still can’t place exactly where there yard was in Orsett. The yard in Barking moved about several times over the years.

Steven

I remember your Grandad he was the steward after Brian Ward Rob Cambell on here should remember him as well

hutpik:
Hi scaniason.i just looked at the post fronm you and it set me thinking.wasn’t harwich haulage the company from keelers tye with peter betts and his brother.i used to work out of harwich in the early 70s before i moved to holland.after i moved to holland peter betts stayed at my house a couple of times when he came over.a mate of mine called tony saunders worked for peter betts for a while.i dont know what happened to all the people as i now live in lappland.but it would be nice to know. :question: mike

Hi Just read your post I am Peter Betts still involved in Transport but not in the UK, like to chat mate

Hi Peter.Glad to hear you are still with us.If you want to Contact me personally rather than a PM it’s lappimike@gmail.com
I moved up here about 6 years ago.After more than 30yrs in Holland i’d had enough of Europé and decided to have the remainder of life somewhere quite.On the expats forum is a site called Nordic Life.Someone was asking so i replied so you can see it.I have replied to diverse sites about Scandinavia on the expats forum so if you troll through you can find more info about my Life up here.Take care.Mike

Sorry Peter,it’s on the uk professional drivers forum,page 4.My mistake,old age.

hutpik:
Hi scaniason.i just looked at the post fronm you and it set me thinking.wasn’t harwich haulage the company from keelers tye with peter betts and his brother.i used to work out of harwich in the early 70s before i moved to holland.after i moved to holland peter betts stayed at my house a couple of times when he came over.a mate of mine called tony saunders worked for peter betts for a while.i dont know what happened to all the people as i now live in lappland.but it would be nice to know. :question: mike

Hi Mike I am Peter Betts hope to chat more my memory is not so good bute happy to exchange stories

hutpik:
Sorry Peter,it’s on the uk professional drivers forum,page 4.My mistake,old age.

Tell me about it, Old age ■■■■■ mate

pollystag:

mickyb:
Does anyone remember the general haulage Company called D.C.JEAKINGS of Noble House, Wrexham Road Laindon Essex. I recall being told that he also had a depot in Bolton although this had closed by the time I joined The haulage side of the Company was finished in the late 80’s but the car rental and removals side of the buisness are still going,the former still in the same building.The Vehicles were blue with white sign writting, when I first joined the company as a fitter they were running Sedd Atki’s 400’s & a couple of Daf 2100’s & Merc V6’s, & 2 ERF’s fitted with the Rolls Eagle, he had 2 rigid seddon 200 fitted with the International Harvester engines, we had an old Borderer as a breakdown truck & used to do AA/BRS heavy recovery. The fleet changed to Merc 1625 V8’s & 2 Iveco 190.26. Jeakings had contracts with Thorn Lighting @ Romford, Nacanco’s Ripple Road Barking & Thermos @ Brentwood. He ended up with too many trailers for the yard at Laindon so we used to park them on a site at Warley just off the A127 there was a Volvo dealer on the same site i cannot remember its name. :laughing: :laughing:

hi i remember them they were local to me in laindon,never worked there but my mate Tommy dwyer did,funny enough i think he came from bolton way
cheers steve.

Carna:
Here is one for you boys that went across the water

I worked for essex international for over 10 years. Saw the ex-boss jack Harris at Gaydon truck fest 3 or 4 years ago. Michael Lacey was showing some essex international restored Scania’ s. Son of Mick Lacey essex driver.

Carna:
Here is one for you boys that went across the water

The driver was probably Dave Clark, my great friend and colleague who sadly passed away. Other drivers when i first started at essex were Dave Jeffries, Karl Kneunzer, Barry Cleaver, Mick Sadler. Michael Lacey, Alan Berry, Tony Scraffton,
Dave Smith, Bobby Warner. Michael Jameson.myself Malcolm Hammond, and a Couple more but can’t remember them all.