toleman

Eugene:
Passing Peter Waldren in my Mk 5 on A12

Hi Eugene. Good pic of Pete Waldron. Do you remember when Peter took some guys door off while he was driving up the M1? I think he was a Mr Patel!! He stopped on the hard shoulder & opened his door just as Peter drove past, his 4 door Rover then became a 3 door conversion. I think Peter got done for failing to stop, it was only when some driver passed Peter & pointed to the back of Peters truck, that Pete looked in his mirror & saw his rear tyre smoking, then he pulled over & found a door jammed between the wheel & the trailer,oops!!

PROWLANDS:
Yep I have JJ.
You’ve got most of the story reynolds. Ted toleman did live at Gedding near Stowmarket, and when the business went down the tubes he went to S. Africa and supposedly bought a plantation and Gary went out with him. The story is that Gary had pulled into a filling station in his pick up and was held up by some guys who wanted the truck. A gun was put Gary’s head and the rest is history. He was a nice guy and when they were younger they did drive round in RS500 Cossies with special plates ie; TTT222

The number plates were TTT 222 & 222 TTT. Not sure if anyone can remember the VW advert, where they used both number plates?? I went to Garys funeral in Lavenham, very sad day!!

Les Jones (Tolemans Harwich)

Eugene:
Mark 5 Leaving Harwich Depot

Good pic Eugene. The MKV was really ahead of its time, hey? Just thinking, when i began driving for Lathams & then Dependables, it was a 6 car Carrimore & then a MK7 Hoyner.

Les Jones

Hi guys. Nearly fell off my stool, thought i saw a picture of Phil Parsons working!! Only joking(rest his soul), maybe one of the best stewards i worked with, him & Roy Paxton made a good double act. A lot of these smaller companies at the time subbed out of Harwich, Abbey Hill to name but one, if it wasnt for the likes of Paxton & Parsons making sure these subbys paid the going rate to their drivers, those drivers would have been camping out at Harwich all week for crap money. I think the Toleman years were the best, good company, good conditions, good money, what more could you ask for? Then 20yrs on, it all got serious, no such thing as an accident, any chip or dent was someones fault. Then came the dreadded price undercutting!! When i finished my days at Walon Purfleet 6yrs ago, Walon got paid £15 to deliver a Vauxhall to Dartford, how can that be correct?? When i worked for Tolemans at Harwich in the 80s, the company got £75 per car, anywhere in the UK, work that out on a MKV with 12 fords onboard!!

For all you ex MK5 drivers here is a 1/24 scale model of one i have built over the past 7 months

and part loaded there will be a full load once the rest of the car kits arrive

It was built using information from Lohr themselves and some photos on here for reference and a few pointers from some of the other forum members ( many thanks to them )

I hope i have achieved to get something like the original

I remember the Belle coachworks yard on the south Lowestoft industrial estate being full of Tolemans Iveco’s, must of been around 93ish. If i remember rightly they were all cut up there.

does anyone have any info or pictures of toleman transporters any help would be grateful

Yes I’ve got a few bits and pieces, what’s your interest. I’ll try to get them on over the next couple of weeks.

i just really like the trucks tyhey were a smart company when they were going

Here they are Daf Man, hopefully

try again

Nice bit of kit, the Lorh with the cake stand, had a couple myself over the years.

Where was that DD, were you an O/D or puling for someone.
Trying to[Ihttp://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp203/Prowlands/img055.jpg[/IMMG] G]put a few more on here, struggling a bit

A Bugatti type 45, if I’m not mistaken!

obviously based out of Ipswich on the Volvo contract.

I used to load out of there many years ago when we subbed from Tollies

Not an O/D had one on Richard Lawsons and Auto Logistics UK out of Coventry the last one was ex Axial FL 12 380 which was chipped to 450, smoked abit but pulled like stink.

Its a Bugatti sir but a T35, If I could get the rest of the pics on you could see the whole load of Bugatti’s and Ferrari’s we took to Monte Carlo in '87 for a major Christie’s car auction, in fact at the time it was the most expensive load of anything delivered by road excepting gold bullion and cash from the Mint.
I’ll keep trying to get the pics on.
I was for a long while the allocator and then depot foreman at Ipswich depot.

PROWLANDS:
If I could get the rest of the pics on

never mind the old banger, any more pics of the classy chassis “driving” it? :laughing:

Now if I recall, Ted Toleman lived at Gedding, and he & the sons all drove flash motors in white with the racing colours (orange and blue I think) stripes? Then they moved out to run a banana plantation in SA, and tragically a couple or three years ago one of the sons was the victim of a carjacking at a petrol station in SA where he was shot and killed? Sad story. They were going to move back the the UK I think??

Yep I have JJ.
You’ve got most of the story reynolds. Ted toleman did live at Gedding near Stowmarket, and when the business went down the tubes he went to S. Africa and supposedly bought a plantation and Gary went out with him. The story is that Gary had pulled into a filling station in his pick up and was held up by some guys who wanted the truck. A gun was put Gary’s head and the rest is history. He was a nice guy and when they were younger they did drive round in RS500 Cossies with special plates ie; TTT222