Willy Harrison - Sheffield

merc my dad drove for willy harrison. on way to inverness.

img015.jpg

night shift bri:

v7victor:
Watched willie race at at a aycliffe,hartlepool and few tracks in yorkshire,he was also at the aycliffe get-together last year.

Here’s a pic of Willie Harrison racing at Hartlepool taken sometime in the 70’s.

Paul won this years world championship

PaulHarrison22aycliffePits.jpg

v7victor:

night shift bri:

v7victor:
Watched willie race at at a aycliffe,hartlepool and few tracks in yorkshire,he was also at the aycliffe get-together last year.

Here’s a pic of Willie Harrison racing at Hartlepool taken sometime in the 70’s.

Paul won this years world championship

A updated picture of Paul Harrison who is the current world champion F1 Brisca stock cars

Here’s another one of Willie from a good few years back!

2_willie_harrison_1981.jpg

Anybody know of or work for him in the 70’s/80’s
He used to do abit of stock cars and had the number 2

I dont know him, but would love to have a root about in his shed. The trucks are still standing in the yard

I’d love to hear from anyone who drove those old Scammells for him. Was the pay and conditions worth driving in a time warp?

you chaps are getting mixed up we sid harrison willy ran out of rotherham used to watch him racing at white city m’c

Silly billy, Its the Willy that confused us daft old gimmers.

Harrison, Sheffield summat rung a bell :stuck_out_tongue:

Willy Harrison’s yard was at Canklow roundabout on the old A631 between Sheffield and Rotherham.Ran a lot of Mercs and was into stock-car racing.
I think he was a relative of Sid Harrison of Scammell fame,but can’t be sure about that.

I’ve been left the area a long time so I presume Willy H. has pulled the pin.

Chris Webb:
Willy Harrison’s yard was at Canklow roundabout on the old A631 between Sheffield and Rotherham.Ran a lot of Mercs and was into stock-car racing.

Thats him, anybody work for him, or still know if he is around?
My dad used to be mates with him and another trucky guy (Martin Taylor who last I knew worked for Dodd’s a good 15 year ago) from the Stock Car scene.

bob-lad:
you chaps are getting mixed up we sid harrison willy ran out of rotherham used to watch him racing at white city m’c

Ok, and not for the first time :unamused: :blush: , but my question still stands, any Scammell drivers from the yard at Tinsley roundabout :wink: on here and what was he like to drive for?
I liked my old Scammell Highwayman, but in the 1960s, there must have been some incentive to be piloting one 30 years later. :unamused: :laughing:

my dad worked for willie harrison late 70 s . al jones. he had the merc 1628 demonstrator running to inverness. can anyone remember the 60ft trailers ?

carl jones:
my dad worked for willie harrison late 70 s . al jones. he had the merc 1628 demonstrator running to inverness. can anyone remember the 60ft trailers ?

Hi Carl.
I remember those trailers and I think they were used out of Darnall Shotblasting,can’t be certain though.I haven’t seen any photos of Willy Harrisons wagons on here,maybe one or two will turn up :slight_smile:

Willy Harrison ran two tone blue and white Mercs with a red chassis. I think in 1981/2 he won the world F1 stock car championship at Bradford passing Bert Finikin(BM FINN Volvos Tarmac comtract) Finn won the year after. I thought Willy was a great chap he suffered heart problems in the mid 80s
.he was the brother of Sid but not a friend.You can choose a friend but not a relative.
John

my bro s got a couple of photos back in barnsley. i,ll get him to put them on . can you remember h brown and son of barnsley

carl jones:
my bro s got a couple of photos back in barnsley. i,ll get him to put them on . can you remember h brown and son of barnsley

H.Brown rings a bell Carl,did they do general,green motors maybe Atkis I think or ERFs.
Maybe I’m getting mixed up with H Cawthorne who had green wagons - tippers mostly.

green cabs red chassis. scammells up to the 80s then they bought 2nd hand mans from gloystarne s of rotherham. smart looking outfit .

carl jones:
green cabs red chassis. scammells up to the 80s then they bought 2nd hand mans from gloystarne s of rotherham. smart looking outfit .

Yes I do remember them now Carl.Gloystarne is a blast from the past,I remember when they worked for British Tissues at Oughtibridge in the 70s and 80s,always ran big motors.

yes thats right . another co from there were barbers . they ran the roadtrains with different coloured stripes. we used to do container work to felixstowe for them. who did you work for chris ?