The MIGHTY Volvo F7

Rattlesnake Dave:
You’re right about the headroom in the F7 Spardo, I had one on Alpine (Lyons Maid/Findus) for a while and I had a stiff neck for most of the time I was driving it. The lack of visibility was exacerbated when it rained as the wiper blade sweep made the visible area even lower and what with the low window on the door, I ended up with a permanent stoop!
Here’s a pic of one getting a wash and brush up.

Hello Rattlesnake Dave.

I hope its OK I open so early created tread. Otherwise the mod may ban me or remove this message. :wink:

I’m new on this tread and am is reading with pleasure because I’m a Volvo fan but not driving one. Your picture looks a little funny and I will explain:

It was as other say the four clubs as developed and paid the cost of the cabin. But Volvo chooses use boot sides from the F6 model because the constructor want a low step up in the cabin. I don’t know if DAF, Renault and Magirus Dutch did it on their cabin but I think it must have been so because of the cost. I wonder if they have had twenty-five peoples waiting to test sit and tell the truth.

Have a good day
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

Models of Volvo’s middle? heavy Lorries in equalling segment and predecessors

L8507 Viking Turbo was produced 1959 — 65, engine D67 / TD67 / 125 — 150 hp
L8507 Viking Tiptop was produced 1964 — 65, engine D67 / TD67 / 125 — 150 hp
F86 was produced 1965 — 79 engine D70 / TD70 / 144 — 290 40,796 units got sold
F7 was produced 1978 — 86, engine TD70 / 212 — 245 36,002 units got sold

F86 and F7 were most sold in Britain and Scotland I think. They must have been good trucks and popular.

Data from Christer Olsson7 Henrik Moberger Volvo 1927 — 70 — 1997

Have a good day!

this f7 mostly carried bananas from newport dock to the continent and ireland…considering todays trucks it done the job well…

The F7 Lorry had as most 245 hp and had TD70 (6,7m litre)
The L495 Titan Turbo as my father drove had 230 hp had TD96 (9,6 litre) so it was avery large differense. I cant think F7 despite higer hp should pull 52 ton gross weight.

3-axle lorry wooden chip as is tough carrying 12,500 kg and a 3-axle trailer (24 m) carrying 22,500 = 34,500 + 17500. I followed my father and 230 and 9,6 litre worked well even if it vent slovly uphills.

How mych have a F7 been abel to carry in England?

I´ve heard/read both F86 and F7 in our eyes somtimes has felts as the Lorrry perhaps should had 50 hp more. Is there so you use a lorry to too heavy pull and load? Should there been better have one FH-model?

We were running 32t with F86 & the later models of the F7 when the weight limits went up was 36 or 38t not sure someone on here will put us right.

how mych have a F7 been abel to carry in England?

some f7s ran at 38t gross

Moose:

Thank you Moose!

Sure, because they have been running used a 2-axle trailer but wasn´t that motor a little underpowerwd running with 38 gross?

Lars-gunnar :slight_smile:

in the 70s/80 i worked for ferrymasters Southampton / Dover had an f86, one day i was told to go into Ipswich depot to collect a new motor, i got a brand new f7,also volvo tool kit and volvo jacket, the only thing i have left of the tool kit is the circuit tester, the f7 was a big step up from the f86

But F7 didn’t be as popular as F86? I read here F86 and F88 Lorries is de most beloved of Volvo’s models and not without ground if on now can use such word as is for a human being. But is trucks in England a “she”?

Lars-Gunnar :smiley:

FH13:

Moose:

Thank you Moose!

Sure, because they have been running used a 2-axle trailer but wasn´t that motor a little underpowerwd running with 38 gross?

They had to work at it a little…

The earlier ones, quoted at 224 bhp (ISO) ran at 36.6 tonnes, whilst the full 38 tonners arrived in 1983 with 243bhp, 16-speed gearbox and a slightly longer wheelbase.

240 Gardner:

FH13:

Moose:

Thank you Moose!

They had to work at it a little…

The earlier ones, quoted at 224 bhp (ISO) ran at 36.6 tonnes, whilst the full 38 tonners arrived in 1983 with 243bhp, 16-speed gearbox and a slightly longer wheelbase.

16 speed and you would need them all!!!.. i have always liked the f6/7 cab and still have 2 f6 day cabs myself awaiting restoration
moose

16 speed and you would need them all!!!.. i have always liked the f6/7 cab and still have 2 f6 day cabs myself awaiting restoration
moose
[/quote]
Iv’e also got a day cab F6 awaiting restoration, may have to pick your brains when I come to starting resto on mine :smiley:

mines pretty complete but need the odd bits here and there, definately need a wind screen cos of some scrout using it for target practice

and smokes like a train, which I think is possibly one of the injectors

no probs manctramper
also need a screen for one of mine since my 3 year old girl threw a handfull of stones and cracked the screen!
i have a x reg 616 which was a 4 wheeler tipper and a b reg f6s flat 4 wheeler which i used to drive myself it came off the road in 2001 and was tested the day it was parked up and replaced by a fl7
moose

FH13:
But F7 didn’t be as popular as F86? I read here F86 and F88 Lorries is de most beloved of Volvo’s models and not without ground if on now can use such word as is for a human being. But is trucks in England a “she”?

hi lars

a lot of drivers used to say she pulls well, meaning the lorry goes good its the same as ships when they get launched they always used to say all that sails in her.

regards

mark

scan0109.jpg

marcus 22:

FH13:

hi lars

a lot of drivers used to say she pulls well, meaning the lorry goes good its the same as ships when they get launched they always used to say all that sails in her.

regards

mark

Yeah, be a man and say “He” perhaps it sounds so good. Its more natural say “she” because she would jerk, yes you know what I mean. Typical Swedes! Ha, ha!

Thank You
Lars-Gunnar as is my given name. :smiley:

marcus 22:

Marcus22, the last photo of a F7 four wheeler as a timber-hauler with crane on the back is great. We have this concept but mainly on 3-axle Lorries. Instead we have some 1+3 axle combination with either single or double driven lorry with the second axle as a support axle. I dint know how you mates call it.

Thank you

nice one moose, i never drove the little f’s, when i started driving wagons in 1990 had a few trips in an f88 then it was the f10’s and f12’s

and then it was mainly erf’s foden’s and leyland’s, got the f6 off a mate to save it from the crusher, had the chance of an f12 flat top but

could raise the cash but this one has a 30ft trailer as well that will be converted possibly as a sheeted load (depending on how it looks) with

the living area hidden away underneath, depending on finance’s as well,

little F7 first on the fleet with a sleeper cab!
great little truck , the firm I worked for ran 2, V and W reg, both were re cabbed over time, and just kept going!