Peterborough hauliers

Hiya …i’ve just been on a cb site on the professional drivers forum… the name red brandy come to my mind.
can any of you lads remember her giving directions on the cb…i think she worked in a tea van somtimes
John

Does anyone remember r&h lewis from pondersbridge near ramsey they ran 6 wheel aec and a&b series erf artics and one or two transcontos,they were blue and cream they finished or sold up to sidney c banks in the early 80s .

IIRC, Lewis’s were Blue and Maroon, mostly ERF’s. The Blue and Cream trucks might possibly have been Cade’s, although I can’t recall them having
any Transcons.

I can recall Cade’s having Leyland beaver’s and AEC Mandator’s but cant recall transcons

just wondering any of you peterborough boys know for a f88 f89 fuel tank thanks rowland

LB76:
I can recall Cade’s having Leyland beaver’s and AEC Mandator’s but cant recall transcons

In their later years, Cades had Seddon-Atkinson 400’s and Mercs.

Cade’s also ran quite a few Foden’s S36 and S39’s in the 70’s hauling bricks like most of Peterborough haulier’s

greyknight:

gb1:
Thanks for that greyknight. Often wondered if there was a connection, and you’ve answered it perfectly.
Don’t know if it’s my imagination, but the Commando rings a bell. Any pics?

sorry no pics but toanswer another query Barry white did indeed move to wisbech when he bought out Johnson and Morgan and eventually became E.A.W. transport from Elm

Reviving an old thread just a it here !

I remember BW buying out Johnson & Morgan, must have been about 1978 ■■ George Johnson was a great friend of my Dad’s & I often used to go over to Lynn docks with him. He would visit the cafe & I would be given the keys to an A series unit for shunting duties (i was about 15 at the time !). Don’t think we would get away with that now !

Remember a few of the drivers names from J&M … Tom Elsagood, “Dusty” & Jeff Coupland (he drove for BW just after the takeover)

Welcome to TruckNet, scabinacab. It’s always good to have some fresh input, so here’s hoping you’ve got some stories to tell!
If you’ve got any pictures to add, be it to this thread or any other, all the better.

gb1:
Welcome to TruckNet, scabinacab. It’s always good to have some fresh input, so here’s hoping you’ve got some stories to tell!
If you’ve got any pictures to add, be it to this thread or any other, all the better.

Cheers GB :wink:

i have been around T/net for quite a few years, but not recently & forgot my password (which was linked to an old email address !). I only have a few pics of a manky old F10 parked up in Cornwall (spud job) & a few of the magnum I had as a toy. Lots of good stuff in this thread, local firms that i had forgotten about.

more soon

Found this today whilst looking through the old shoe=box.
Cyril A. White’s Commer Commando, with what looks like a Kennys Foden behind it.

010.jpg

One of Taylors of Ailsworths DAF’s, parked in their yard.

Also in Taylor’s yard, on the same day, were these 2. Guess the ERF was a subbie.

Reads LHD Ford Transcontinental, in their yard at Oxney Road, Fengate, Peterborough.

Fovargues were based at Crowland on the outskirts of Peterborough. Here’s their new Dodge on display at the East of England Show. I’d guess
it was on the Peterborough Engineering stand, as they were the local Dodge dealers.

My Steyr, parked-up at home. Don’t think i’d get away with it now!

And here it is again, loading a container somewhere in Yorkshire.

Hi Graham,

Im enjoying your pics, do you have any more taken at the East of England show especially any tippers?

Cheers
Mark

gb1:
Found this today whilst looking through the old shoe=box.
Cyril A. White’s Commer Commando, with what looks like a Kennys Foden behind it.

This is the last new lorry Cyril A White bought and was refitted with a tipper body from a k series I think and MY mate Ivan Nash drove it on brick and coal haulage

Not the best ever picture again, but might be of interest.
Hotpoint ran a big fleet from Peterborough, and were always good for a lift home on a dodgy night-out.

013.jpg
IIRC, the picture was taken in Huntingdon lorry park.

roadcommander2:
Hi Graham,

Im enjoying your pics, do you have any more taken at the East of England show especially any tippers?

Cheers
Mark

I’ll have a look to see what I can find, but won’t be home until May, so there might be a bit of a wait.
I did post a photo of a Royal Blue Scammell on the Old Northamptonshire thread, if you haven’t already seen it.