Limmer and Trinidad

DSCN1504.JPGIts a bit late as the querie about Limmer and Trinidad was posted in 2005. I have over 40 Limmer and Trinidad group news magazines as new, from the 1960s. Full of photos and articles from motorways to side street construction. The cover on one issue is all about painting the hard shoulder of M6 red in 1966.

This reply just popped up, 13 years ago!
Are there any articles about Limmer in the north east?

Ta

Chris

image.jpegheres a 11 tonne load of asphalt blocks on my Foden ,yrs ago in the early 70s my Dad had a 6 wheeler Erf on this job too ,he pushed out windrush’s firm Gough transport through providing better service at more money :laughing:

Not many pics of trucks but a few articles im having trouble photographing.

DSCN1746.JPG
DSCN1746.JPG

Thanks for those!
The Tyne Tunnel approach is being dug up again for another intersection at the coast road.

Limmer Lake Mercury.jpg

This is a great thread , I drove a Tipper for Smiles for Miles for a short while in the late 60s, I used to load Ashphelt Sand at Blaydon down to Green Layton, Tip at The Lima Tar plant then into Catterick for a load of Gravel back up to Sunderland, Two loads a day, The good old happy days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , A pal of mine went to drive them at thier St, Peters depot, He had a AEC Artic with a Demster Dumper tipper trailer, Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:
0heres a 11 tonne load of asphalt blocks on my Foden ,yrs ago in the early 70s my Dad had a 6 wheeler Erf on this job too ,he pushed out windrush’s firm Gough transport through providing better service at more money :laughing:

Can’t blame me for that Dan, in the early 70’s I was living 160 miles away and replacing liners and pistons on BMC FJ’s and Lairds on a weekly basis! :sunglasses: Oh and those blocks in your pic definately didn’t come from the same place either! :unamused:

Pete.

Lawrence Dunbar:
This is a great thread , I drove a Tipper for Smiles for Miles for a short while in the late 60s, I used to load Ashphelt Sand at Blaydon down to Green Layton, Tip at The Lima Tar plant then into Catterick for a load of Gravel back up to Sunderland, Two loads a day, The good old happy days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , A pal of mine went to drive them at thier St, Peters depot, He had a AEC Artic with a Demster Dumper tipper trailer, Regards Larry.

Who was your pal Lawrence? I remember Harry Laws, my dad obviously, Tommy Avison and I think, Bolam Aisbit. I was only 12 or 13 mind.

bowserman:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Who was your pal Lawrence? I remember Harry Laws, my dad obviously, Tommy Avison and I think, Bolam Aisbit. I was only 12 or 13 mind.

I worked with Harry in the 60s For Ken Short at St Peters, He drove SVK—F AEC Tractor Unit, I drove UBB 805 G, IIRC He used to smoke Woodbines in those days, & IIRC He lived in Janet Street just up the road from the depot I also new Tommy his brother who worked at Winthrops, Regards Larry.

Tommy Avison worked with my dad in the Admiralty and then the Limmer. After he left there he got a job with Northern Gas before retiring. I seem to remember Harry Laws working at Thomas Clements builders where I did my apprentiship. I think he drove the skip wagon for a while.
Chris

Anyone remember these?

My old man drove for them in the late 60’s early 70’s.
Would love any photos available.

BonkeyDollocks has posted some recently in the photo forum…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27811

Like the colour one at the bottom. That livery did not change until Tarmac took them over.

Seeing those oldies just signed Trinidad Lake Asphalt I assume that the stuff came from the Trinidad Tar Lakes and the Limmer bit is someone who bought in/took over at a later date?

Limmer & Trinidad brings back a few memories for me. I worked for a company back in the early 60’s that did a lot of work for them and they were still using those sort of trucks then. They had depots all over the country but the only ones I ever had anything to do with were, Blackwall(London),
Chandlersford(Southampton),Wanstrow(Somerset) and Shepton Mallet also
Somerset. The depot at Wanstrow did asphalt blocks which were melted down for roofing and flooring etc. (This is known as Mastic Asphalt) I spent a long time running blocks to the original Severn Bridge while it was being built. As it is a suspension bridge and has to move with the wind,it’s road base was laid with mastic asphalt. In those days it all had to be laid by hand using a float. The Shepton Mallet depot was a quarry called Merehead Quarry. This was also where they made road asphalt as well as dig stone (Limestone).
The same quarry was purchased by Foster Yeoman and renamed but dont remember its name today. They also did felt roofing, road patching and many other things to to with asphaltic products.

Must have been having another of my ‘senior moments’ because the name of the quarry now owned by Foster Yeoman which was ex. Limmer and Trinidad is Torr Works. When Foster Yeoman purchased the quarry there was supposed to be only 5 years digging left in it. That was in the early 70’s and they are still blasting,not bad going eh ?

When I was 5, 1962, Limmer & Trinidad were resurfacing Cheriton Ave in Harefield, I was off school with bronchitis or summat. I was watching them at the junction of the Hare and Hounds. One of the drivers asked me why I was off school. He then asked if I wanted to come with him to collect his next load of tar…“Yep” I was off… to the Chandlers Ford Depot where B&Q’s head office is now, opposite was was to become Carrefour. My first trip in a lorry!

Didnt tell me Mum, just went…could you imagine that happening today?

Foster Yeoman including Torr works have been bought out by Bardon Aggregates(Aggregate Industries).There franchise lorries are painted the same white and blue as Bardon ones but have Yeoman asphalt on the sides. :smiley: