S.E London

woodmanmichael:
Parker timber blackhorse rd deptford. oley smith timber also deptford.

Hi there worked for Parker Timber & Parker Packing in Deptford in 60s as any owner driver and then when they moved
to Belvedere Kent. I also worked for A.E.Drain Transport as an owner driver in 60s.

Hi Geoff my uncle drove a fork lift in the sixties at parkers Deptford. His name was Ted lee. I drove for alan squires out of belvedere.dID YOU HAVE A FORD D Series ? regards mick.

Hi Mick you got it in one I did have a Ford D series. Did you drive a scania 6 wheeler.
Regards Geoff

That’s me Geoff . are you still od ?

Hi Mick I finished at Parkers in 2001 I am semi retired but not hgv driving have still got the old D series in the yard.
Have you retired ?
Geoff

Hi Geoff I was made redundant from Kemsley paper mill in 2005 so retired early. Still got my class one though. Do you take the old ford to shows ? Regards Mick.

I did some miles in that old Leyland from yiddle davis on the last page from ‘adr’. I was a kid then but went all over the place with the old man. used to run out of Solebay St… all gone now. 19 mph when he first got it, then the fitters gave it a tune up and it gave 28mph. JD6478 IIRC. Bloody site faster in scotch booster, but wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice puddin’

Just to add, there was a few of those old Hippo’s on the road road for Davis, so it probably wasn’t that one in the pic’ but I do remember that our one finished up at South London Auctions just round the corner from my school in Brixton. It had lost it’s big singles and had what looked like little duals on the back. They weren’t little, just looked like it after the others.

Hi Geoff thanks for the heads up on Healys Must be the one I rember. One of my old frends worked for them in the 80s Regards Mick

a couple of the local muckaways

I was in Parker Packing almost daily- our yard was literaly over the fence (Gains Transport) in Yeoman Street when Parker Packing finished at Plough Way Albert Fisher took over their yard for storing containers

After Albert left they stored Coca Cola in the sheds, same at Belvedere.

I went to the school next door to parkers.As did Bobby alan who subed for parkers.

hi i used to work for wm/beadle in the late sixtys,drove a ford,used to do the print lead to various papers ending up in
scotland,and battery lead from enthoven to darley dale reload at hulland ward,regards peter supple.

hi johnny waite was my best friend,peter supple

yes they were down Redriff road I worked for GE Francis transport at the time and George was good mate’s with Teddy Clouton

churchyboy:

woodmanmichael:
Where was thay based churcboy ?

Redriff Road or there about’s. I recall it vaguely back in about 1974-5 (I was 4-5 yrs old).

I worked mainly in the East End and Essex in those day’s but I did work for Bill Pawley, George Francis and a removal
company called Sulleys in Brixton now live and work in Kent.

Teddy Clouton was St Magnus Shippping, my old man worked there, same yard as G E Francis and that mob with red 110 Scanias, Finanglia Wharf I think.

Another great thread, I passed my test with tate & lyle in silvertown in 1977 then worked for a load of south east London firms within a year to gain experience, including samos transport in penge {who gave me my first chance at driving an artic} good old seddon, flat bed trailor to load telegraph poles out of burt boltons in crabtree manor way Erith… I got covered in creosote as I did not have enough strength to throw the chains over the poles, and had to clamber over them to secure it with the toggles…what baptism of fire for my very first job. I lasted a few months then went on to nelsons transport, Greenwich { 1 day when I found out I was going back to burts for another load of poles}. Gains transport, Yeoman st. they taught me everything about roping and sheeting etc. old man gains used to come round my house and bring me into work when I failed to turn in on mon. morning…{on the lash the night before} how many hands on employers are there about now! But all the time I was waiting for my dream job to come up… BJ MYERS…containers and continental work all rolled up in one firm with smart motors to add… guess what I got an old dog Foden {that must have been their shunt motor} with gears I could not work out , range change on the dash with some sort of gate change on the floor,i never did graduate from that motor an all I seemed to do was hire skeles an go to Stratford L.I.F.T all local work… being only 21 and looking like 16 did not help my cause, but I soon learnt to toughen up in those hard and heady days in south London.

Cockney Pete3:
a couple of the local muckaways

EMS Danny Andrews still going but as Andrews haulage

I lived in Penge my dad Jock Cairns worked for Samos Transport and Otway and Golders down Jasmine Grove
small world innit !!!