Old london firms

boyzee:
Was your dad Frank Soper ?who worked for Armstrong in the 70,s.I know Frank and his dad both known as Sonny worked there,they both left and worked for sgh for a while then old Frank got a job in east india dock for a freight firm.If anyone remembers these they were a right hand full,When i was a kid old Frank had a lovely commer two stroke and he used to park it in carr street limehouse.Back in the 50,s there was his lorry and the regans meat box and a general express artic parked up there.Looking back its hard to believe these lorrys got down such small streets.My own dad was on yiddle davis,s then an had an s type bedford with a comet engine an he,d park in maroon street where we lived.

i wonder on the off chance if any member has any pics or can recall a firm based in victoria/vauxhall area of london called burchetts international. they ran green & gold leyland wagon &drags in the late 70s, think they used to run antiques all over europe

European Freight Bus from south london just outside blackwall tunnel,had a nice fleet of 140 scania,s and transcon,s.The lorrys were owned by Charlie Protheroe.This is there road train driven by the late Wally Tovey.

Definatlly Pointer’s

bestbooties:

charlie one:
What about W C Wooton (Charlie). Think I may have wrong spelling.Ran out of Bermondsey Doing timber out of the Surrey Commercial Dock.Who out there can remember them? Silver Roadways.Minories Transport giving away backloads of tractors out of Basildon.

I remember back loading tractors from Basildon when I worked for the Wild Group out of Stoke in the early '70’s

W C WOOTTEN PACKED UP 1983. SAD DAY.

SUPERCUBE:

Spardo:

mrken:
dormers was taken over by brains when it was just c e brain before they used brain haulage name in 1969 and it was ran as ce dormers as was dales transport tankards and george battern fand ceb transport

Thanks for that, but what became of the British Oxygen connection? Mal, who left this site a couple of years ago to start his own, says he remembers Reg. Coopers yard in Wednesbury as a depot for BO and I seem to remember G.L. Baker’s lorries appearing in Transhield livery. Are we talking about the same Dormers?

dormers wasn’t just one company, he had a building firm as well as the transport, as a for instance, the truck i drove on there had Jelks removals on the licence but we never did a removal, it was bought for the “a” licence, when charlie dormer died the whole thing was sold off in lots, so brain may well have had some of it, once again for the A brief, his house at snaresbrook was sold, so i am informed, to a singer who was popular at the time, a well known skiffle singer, i phoned round a couple of people i know who worked for him, one in particular “baccy bill” was a right little mine of info. the bo/g l baker tie up, when i worked for baker in stratford fruit mkt (ronnie muggleton was the manager,anyone remember him, he left bakers and started his own company, i think with brother billie) all the trucks in that depot were g l baker, transhield, which belonged to bo were based at faversham and at the time it was three companies, now its just one, i don`t know what became of the baker family, living off the interest i expect.

Hi

Saw this post and just had to reply… I am a close family friend of Ronnie Muggleton and having done a bit of a google - we found all these posts! So we signed him up! Ron’s nearly 80 now but still reminisces about RAM (you were right - he did start his own company) and his lorry days, in fact, that’s all he talks about really!

Unfortunately he’s battling ‘the big C’ at the moment but these stories will make him smile and reminisce lots! Just wanted to let you know he is still about and will love to hear about all this :slight_smile:

I remember an firm in the 80’s/90’s called Range Transport, they had red Volvos.

McWilliam:
I remember an firm in the 80’s/90’s called Range Transport, they had red Volvos.

wasnt they based at drayton park highbury the new arsenal football ground is built on the site, didnt do heavy haulage low loaders that sort of thing, fredm

fredm:

McWilliam:

wasnt they based at drayton park highbury the new arsenal football ground is built on the site, didnt do heavy haulage low loaders that sort of thing, fredm

Thats them, another firm with red Volvo lowloaders is Hallett Silbermann who are based in Hatfield. I remember A&J Bull of Mitcham they had brown tippers.

Other firms I remember are Robson Road Haulage who were involved with importing Holsten beer and T Cooper Transport.

i remenber ae evans barking,i knew 2 blokes who worked for them,they made a short lived come back many years ago.but did not survive too long.

does anyone rember DOWELLS TRANSPORT LTD NEW ROAD RAINHAM,DAVIS BROS TANKER YARD KNOWN AS THE RANCH WARLEY, JOHN HUDSON FUEL OIS DAGENHAM DOCK,BASILDON HAULAGE RED COAL TIPPERS,

Hi all , some memories on here from my childhood
My dad used to work for HTS , J & H , WBS from about 66 to 82 , he was based at charlton anchor & hope lane , isle of dogs westfery road , bermonsey (surrey docks) plough way , he used to drive a ford d series rigid ( NJD 617 L ) on the ford contract they had then had a leyland marathon 2 artic ( BUL 81 T ) on the ford warrenty run to davenrty until he moved to northampton in 82 , he then went on to italy every week with E M ROGERS , his name is David Haigh

Some of the london companies i remeber are
GRANGEWOOD TRANSPORT = GREENWICH
A E DRAIN = DEPTFORD
CHAS H PETERS = DEPTFORD
ALBERT FISHER = BERMONDSEY
B J MYERS = BERMONDSEY
JAMES BRADFORD = BERMONDSEY
BFI = GREENWICH
ARC ROADSTONE = GREENWICH
FALCON = BERMONSEY
GAYFREIGHT + BERMONDSEY
RENWICKS = CHARLTON ( god i hate writing that word )
NEALE = RAINHAM
T COOPER = CHARLTON ( that word again )
D TRANSPORT = ISLE OF DOGS
D O E = ISLE OF DOGS

Has anybody got any pics of any of the above companies ■■?

Andy

eastender:

Dodgy Permit:
Surprised that no one has mentioned Geo Brett & Son from the East India dock.

was he the guy who dissapeared with his 10 year old son never to be seen again , I am sure some guys were convicted of their murder in the late 70s in essex

Hi Eastender been reading this thread came across your post what’s the story behind the disappearance ■■

Regards Jimski

I remember those company’s Andy I had a 111 off Falcons and Les Sampson had lot of those Marathon
Ex W.B.S Bul reg do you remember Bil Barrett he had one the same Would also like to see pictures of D Transport used to see them all the time when I was little nice Scania Vabis and sed Atkis and Leylands
Also there were two Neales Albert had Maroon motors on containers and Phil had the yellow ones do you remember Surrey Wharf and Parker International over your side to

Hi Mark , i used to go in d transports yard when my dad was in the ferry house pub after work on a friday afternoon then used to walk through the foot tunnel back to greenwich where we lived . yes i do remember surrey wharf think they had burgundy scania’s 111’s just past wbs yard , my dads old marathon was sold to james bradford in silwood street and was sometimes driven by my stepdad ( how spookey )

Andy

That’s strange ain’t it we bought a buff colour Marathon day cab once at Sampsons off a firm in Silwood Street M reg .

All WBS trucks were green & white , thet had about 3 marathons that were aa white on the kawasaki contract but they were all sleeper cabs ( would love to se pics of them again ), james bradford trucks were a pale lemon yellow cabs & black chassis

Andy

Hello folks. some more names, south of the river mostly tipper firms - who remembers Lancasters, Mitcham, William Hampton, Mitcham, both with Fodens, Marco’s Streatham, Saunders, Woolwich, Streeters Croydon, with Dodges, Godfreys, Balham, Hall and co, Croydon with split screen L.A.D. Alby, Otway and Golder, Penge, with ERF low loader and tippers, Clarks also Penge on the coal, still going, Houston, and Tough and Henderson, west side, also a Petits with light blue Atki, used to see on A4 many moons ago? Woodside Brick ERF Sabrinas, Latham Bros., Syd Bishop watch it come down, Catlin and Bannock with Leyland Octopus, AJ Bull, Mitcham again with Fodens, Star Demolition, Penfolds, Lewisham, Bromley Demolition. Bromley Transport.
Many of these had the old Hell Drivers/Drinkwaters Kew Dodges then early 60s went with Routemans
RE the previous was it a Tony? Cooper with a brown AEC Mammoth Major Mark III you would see East London in 1970s also was it Mainland Market Deliveries who worked 120 hour weeks? Safe Roads/Al

This Foden was brand new to Wm.Hampton 1962, We ran it on local & distance work, served us very well, Regards Larry.

Jimski:

eastender:

Dodgy Permit:
Surprised that no one has mentioned Geo Brett & Son from the East India dock.

was he the guy who dissapeared with his 10 year old son never to be seen again , I am sure some guys were convicted of their murder in the late 70s in essex

Hi Eastender been reading this thread came across your post what’s the story behind the disappearance ■■

Regards Jimski

I know a little.
George was asked to go to a location in Essex on a Sunday to do a deal on some stuff & as it was a Sunday he took his young son with him.
For whatever reason he was being lurred to a hit and they were both murdered on that day & it later turned out that the bodies were burnt & the ashes spread along the newham byepass (A13)
This was a very long time ago but I “think” that is the jist of it, still I am mindful that he still has family around (pretty sure about that) who could still find this very upsetting should they come across this forum.