TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Hi there my Dad got a ex Wilson and Haigh Volvo F88 unit! His made it into a 4 wheeler and drawbar! regards Phil

truckerash:

jj72:
you mean you’ve got Wilson & Haigh photos ash?

here ya go mate. A nice F10 from W&H. got some of their Dafs and MANs, ill post um soon.

sgt major roadworks:
Anyone know what happened to Fred who drove for Barry Read for years ?
Fred was from North Frodingham near Driffield IIRC, very nice man knew the job inside out a gentleman !

Regards
Kenny

Hullo,
The last time I heard of Fred, or in fact saw him, both he and Mickey Francis were working for that firm at Hayton, just outside of Market Weighton, I forget the name of the Firm though.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:

sgt major roadworks:
Anyone know what happened to Fred who drove for Barry Read for years ?
Fred was from North Frodingham near Driffield IIRC, very nice man knew the job inside out a gentleman !

Regards
Kenny

Hullo,
The last time I heard of Fred, or in fact saw him, both he and Mickey Francis were working for that firm at Hayton, just outside of Market Weighton, I forget the name of the Firm though.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie

Are you thinking of the white motors with blue stripes ? the name escapes me was it Thackerey / Thackeray ?

Regards
Kenny

Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.
[/quote]
Archie

Are you thinking of the white motors with blue stripes ? the name escapes me was it Thackerey / Thackeray ?

Regards
Kenny
[/quote]
Hullo Kenny,
That’s it, Bang on mate. I thought I would remember the name, and I DID, just as soon as you mentioned it :smiley: :smiley: The Plough Pub, just a bit further along the road towards York, was a regular Friday evening Pub for all the local Drivers. Many a few Pints of Ale were put away, and many Gallons of Diesel (or fumes of) were floating around then. Tis was in the 70’s and early 80’s, Happy Days.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

Archie

Regards
Kenny
[/quote]
Hullo Kenny,
That’s it, Bang on mate. I thought I would remember the name, and I DID, just as soon as you mentioned it :smiley: :smiley: The Plough Pub, just a bit further along the road towards York, was a regular Friday evening Pub for all the local Drivers. Many a few Pints of Ale were put away, and many Gallons of Diesel (or fumes of) were floating around then. Tis was in the 70’s and early 80’s, Happy Days.
Cheers, Archie.
[/quote]
Archie know the pub well, lovely real ale ! well it was then, probarbly alcopops now !! the full trading name was I think and correct me if I am wrong RG & EA Thackeray Transport ?
I tried to track down Fred many years ago with no success !
Stay Lucky
Kenny

truckerash:
Early David Croome F12 especially for JJ72. Croomy had a Mack, ill have to sort that 1 out and post it if anyones interested?

Croome Mack at Londra Camping,Istanbul.

Pic from Danish site.

scan0121.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0054.jpg

Love the David Croombe Mack got one of it some where with Puxleys name on really smart fleet
Trucky boy had one of his mandator once should put that back up

these photos were lent to me by Bob Anderson

jj72:

mushroomman:
and whats the name of that fictitious German furry thing that lives in the forest ? :confused:

firstly steve, better lay off them tinnies mate - but if there is an explanation I’d love to hear it :laughing:

mushroomman:
am fairly sure that Hauser had a warehouse in M.I.F.T in the 80’s :slight_smile: .

they did indeed, along with Davies Turner’s, Gentransco/Danzas and about 3 others IIRC - do you remember Wally who ran the portakabin cafe? what a miserable old git - no doubt dead and buried so I don’t want to be any more disrespectful than that :stuck_out_tongue:

Wally was in fact one of Hausers drivers ,it was his missis who ran the cafe when he was away.

jj72:

gazzer:
Was that Paul [Regan] who had the first Globetrotter on Yeardleys.

Bloody hell, blast from the past - not sure he was there early enough to have the first Gobstopper around 1981?

No it was my dad, John Green who drove 1 of BY’s 1st 2 Globetrotters, the other was driven by John Hayton. Slightly before Paul’s time with BY. They drove ORH 919W (John) and ORH 920W (my dad). They went on the road 1st August 1980 and I went to Italy with dad before I started back at school. We went with Terry Shipley and his son Terry. Terry senior was a tad under the influence for most of it. Dad wonders if anyone remembers him as he was on the European circuit from the early 70s till 1992. He retired last year after working for TDG from 1992. He worked for MAT in Hull before Brian left MAT and set up on his own and Dad and Terry went to work for him. Other drivers I can remember from the early days are Mel and Ivor Bradford, Jimmy Croft, Gordon Wightman, and Jimmy Barker. Other names escape me but dad can fill you in when he’s not doing his duties. Seven drivers went together the 1st time I went abroad with Dad taking Portacabins from York to Paris. Terry is dad’s best mate and has lived in Thailand for the last few years.

rebbyvid:

jj72:

mushroomman:
and whats the name of that fictitious German furry thing that lives in the forest ? :confused:

firstly steve, better lay off them tinnies mate - but if there is an explanation I’d love to hear it :laughing:

mushroomman:
am fairly sure that Hauser had a warehouse in M.I.F.T in the 80’s :slight_smile: .

they did indeed, along with Davies Turner’s, Gentransco/Danzas and about 3 others IIRC - do you remember Wally who ran the portakabin cafe? what a miserable old git - no doubt dead and buried so I don’t want to be any more disrespectful than that :stuck_out_tongue:

Wally was in fact one of Hausers drivers ,it was his missis who ran the cafe when he was away.

Was it Wally was his name?I remember him alright,small dark skinned git with glasses.His missus and another woman,a blondie haired one worked there,(I remember she did get a bout of cancer towards the end of my visits to Manchester).
Think he did a bit of driving for Van Himst(hence the Hauser connection)
In Mift there was also Roadspeed(FransMaas),Pascual(fruit) amongst the other biggies,Danzas(Gentransco),DT,

Cruella1965:

jj72:

gazzer:
Was that Paul [Regan] who had the first Globetrotter on Yeardleys.

Bloody hell, blast from the past - not sure he was there early enough to have the first Gobstopper around 1981?

No it was my dad, John Green who drove 1 of BY’s 1st 2 Globetrotters, the other was driven by John Hayton. Slightly before Paul’s time with BY. They drove ORH 919W (John) and ORH 920W (my dad). They went on the road 1st August 1980 and I went to Italy with dad before I started back at school. We went with Terry Shipley and his son Terry. Terry senior was a tad under the influence for most of it. Dad wonders if anyone remembers him as he was on the European circuit from the early 70s till 1992. He retired last year after working for TDG from 1992. He worked for MAT in Hull before Brian left MAT and set up on his own and Dad and Terry went to work for him. Other drivers I can remember from the early days are Mel and Ivor Bradford, Jimmy Croft, Gordon Wightman, and JIMMY BARKER. Other names escape me but dad can fill you in when he’s not doing his duties. Seven drivers went together the 1st time I went abroad with Dad taking Portacabins from York to Paris. Terry is dad’s best mate and has lived in Thailand for the last few years.

Honestly mate … it wasnt me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation:

sgt major roadworks:
the full trading name was I think and correct me if I am wrong RG & EA Thackeray Transport ?

when Graham started on european we used to load him export to Spain, mainly Marchon to P&G in Mataro and rags out of Bunzl at Dewsbury to Olot and other textile factories up in the mountains behind Barca - saw one of his on Riverside at Immingham the other Friday as it happens

Hi
Iv just returned to Truck driving…its changed? In 1986 i drove abroad for the first time for Placemark transport doing fridge work France, Italy Germany. I knew nothing and was told nothing but do your best. I only stayed a while then drove for a mate to Malta and Italy. Got any pics, i did post before but to no joy. Dont know why I interested but for some reason driving my first 111 triggers those Rose tinted classes, in truth it was cold and a tough place to learn the ropes. The bloke in the next yard had those green and white F88’s and 141 exteneded see you have posted some pics. Really good stuff you have put together.

few drivers will have passed this yard a few times, i knew i had 1 more shift home from here.

mark

scan0149.jpg

marcus 22:
few drivers will have passed this yard a few times, i knew i had 1 more shift home from here.

mark

Reims we would pass it on saturday italy bound there fleet was parked up we were all still working…

they were always parked neatly on a weekend when you passed them, even during week their was a lot of them parked up.

mark

Few close ones on this bend

scan0109.jpg

scan0108.jpg