Old companys from stoke -on trent

Has anyone got any pictures of Joseph Kimberley motors . There yard was in sutherland road in longton and they moved
to chemical lane longport . Mainly Leylands Albions and a Scammell 8 wheeler tanker ?

Hiya…rooting around the photo sites this morning i found this on Ergomammoths flikka site
many of you lot will remember this old girl

John

hi Coopers Guy Invincible ended its days at a breakers yard in Buxton . He cut it for the 150 out of
it . The cab was saved and sold to a scotsman who was restoring another one . I Have some
photos of us collecting it, if i can find them.
mel

melandmel:
hi Coopers Guy Invincible ended its days at a breakers yard in Buxton . He cut it for the 150 out of
it . The cab was saved and sold to a scotsman who was restoring another one . I Have some
photos of us collecting it, if i can find them.
Hiya was that Frank Buxtons yard Mel or Stuart Johnsons…or maybe Kenny Bains I’ve seen a photo of the cab in a building
sitting near a guy big J
John

I remember the guy wrecker well, went out on numerous breakdowns with one of the mechanics at coopers i was a 17 year old apprentice, went to a 6 wheeler in hanley that had tipped on soft ground and the body went over, rams the the lot all twisted and during the breakdown managed to get my fingers trapped between tow bar and bumper bar very painful ,then up to the heywood to have them stitched, happy days!

Have Coopers finished now then? I used to run out of Tilcon’s Kevin Quarry with a few of the lads, can remember Ted? and another younger chap but forget the rest as it was 15 years ago! They didn’t rush around like us Tilcon guy’s though so it must have been a steady job. :wink:

Pete.

hiya windrush, yes mfs took the container work first, then the tippers finished not long after, i dont know who that work went to, aye ted selby had his own powder tanker when i was there some other names melvyn, ronnie, josh, alan,bernard,sid,john, thers more if i sit and think a bit. i remeber them buying a secondhand volvo f86 6x4 the drivers were queing up to drive it, it didnt last i think the parts were too expensive for it compared to erfs and leylands.

Hiya chrisv…i worked next door at Harrisons from75/79…i also worked at ERF 65/71 with Steve cooper
have you any idea what happend to him as i lost touch with him in the 80’s when he would come into leek
for a pint with us.we used to have a good time in the foxley on wednesday nights us Harrisons lads would
have a few pints then sleep in the yard… have (cheese on) for brekkie and away down the road.
John

Hi John
I also worked for Harrisons from 84 till 92, had some great fun with some cracking lads and also great gaffers. I drove a sedac in the colours of J & R hill of meir which was Blue & not the regular green , got done on the A1 for doing 78 mph in her !!!.Believe it or not I am a driver trainer now . How times have changed. I have loades of photo’s of local companies I have worked for including Mountfords,Daveys,& of course harrisons I also have a model truck collection of lots more local companies like Shirleys. Croxden Gravel , Kettle’s & lots more.When I get time I have to get some pics posted up when I sus how to do it
Cheers
Wild Thing aka Duls

chrisv:
hiya windrush, yes mfs took the container work first, then the tippers finished not long after, i dont know who that work went to, aye ted selby had his own powder tanker when i was there some other names melvyn, ronnie, josh, alan,bernard,sid,john, thers more if i sit and think a bit. i remeber them buying a secondhand volvo f86 6x4 the drivers were queing up to drive it, it didnt last i think the parts were too expensive for it compared to erfs and leylands.

Thank’s for that information, Ted was on a ERF eight wheeler tipper when I knew him but he did tell me that he had been on tanks. The tippers were maroon in colour but I got the impression that they were just going through the motions as their hearts didn’t really seem to be in the job, maybe they thought that the end was coming? I think that the tankers had all gone by that time, around 1996 I guess.

Pete.

hiya john i see steven now and again , hes doing okay , i went on to drive for a living , had a great time and enjoyed it how times have changed,progress i suppose, thanks for the reply take care.

no problem pete, had some happy times with those lads, ted selby used to come in the garage with a big tin mug and nearly empty the pot at tea break , one day he said to one of the lads fill me cup while i go toilet , an older mechanic said i ll cure him, drilled a hole in the bottom of his cup and srewed it to the bench then filled it with tea, what a picture his face was when he tried to pick his cup up! we laughed for hours, brilliant.

duls, i remember that sed ak in hills colours , was your dad named joe, whitehouse road? my ex wife used to live nearby i lived half a mile away . chris.

J Haydon’s yard between 1986 & 89. Also pictured, Hollinshead coaches.

Hi John

The breakers yard was at Harper Hill, Buxton. Can’t remember the fella’s name but think it may have been Eric!!!
The scotsman’s name who bought the cab was Scott of Cleverhouse, who did have a Guy Big J. I have had dealings with Kenny Baines and Frank Buxton in the past so I’m sure it wasn’t them.

melandmel:
Hi John

The breakers yard was at Harper Hill, Buxton. Can’t remember the fella’s name but think it may have been Eric!!!
The scotsman’s name who bought the cab was Scott of Cleverhouse, who did have a Guy Big J. I have had dealings with Kenny Baines and Frank Buxton in the past so I’m sure it wasn’t them.

Hiya …just come to me melandme…eric williams who forget him…i used to work at harpur hill, where the old army barrack was.
infact the chap i worked for bought all of that site and sold it off bit by bit. graham shattwell/ glutton bridge transport now he was
a rouge and still is… grahams brother has a bunagalow in the middle of that estate
good old days
John

Hi Chris
Yes thats me,
sadly dad died from the big C 3yrs ago but he had a good send off on Alan Sturge’s J type bedford as he requested.
Cheers
Duls

wild thing:
Hi John
I also worked for Harrisons from 84 till 92, had some great fun with some cracking lads and also great gaffers. I drove a sedac in the colours of J & R hill of meir which was Blue & not the regular green , got done on the A1 for doing 78 mph in her !!!.Believe it or not I am a driver trainer now . How times have changed. I have loades of photo’s of local companies I have worked for including Mountfords,Daveys,& of course harrisons I also have a model truck collection of lots more local companies like Shirleys. Croxden Gravel , Kettle’s & lots more.When I get time I have to get some pics posted up when I sus how to do it
Cheers
Hiya…yes i remember the blue sedak…i left harrisons when john royle started never liked him that much
it was a great job at harrisons its a pitty the place fell apart…i was in cheddleton 2 weeks ago and saw ronnie pearson
we had a chat for 10 mins he looks well…
John

Hi John
I saw Ron at Mick Harrisons 60th a couple of yrs ago, he looked really well and yes we did partake a few and do a few loades out of croxden and a few bricks too!!!
Flying Foden
Jeff
got your message I have replied to it but just in case it didn’t go through thanks for the offer I will be in touch mate
Cheers
Duls.

hi duls, sorry to hear the news about your dad, always had time for him.