tanker companies

Here’s an old company long gone.Anyone remember them? Leonard J Stamp Ltd
L J Stamp Scammell Tanker.jpg

A great selection of poses by P A Barton :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it was one of his that had a very serious smash going over Woodhead, it was horrible to be sat in the queue with the screams through the fog.

I was wrong about the company, it wasn’t them

Stanfield:
Here’s an old company long gone.Anyone remember them? Leonard J Stamp Ltd0

I remember Stamps from Avonmouth,they finished up as United Transport along with Bulwark and Ancliff I think.Maybe Hoggs from Kilsyth were in the same group as well.

Hi all I remember Stamp of Avonmouth they had a few old Scammell Highwaymen,like us at ICI we used to load out of ISC at Avonmouth and they were always in there loading sulphuric i think .long time ago eh.cheers Ted

Albright & Wilsons Leyland Hippo taken in 1952
transportphotos.com/road/photos

Hu03587 Leyland Hippo-Albright & Wilson.jpg

Stanfield:
Albright & Wilsons Leyland Hippo taken in 1952
transportphotos.com/road/photos

That’s a nice photo John,I never knew A and W ran the older Leylands. Looks like it’s from Oldbury works with that AB Worcestershire reg

I was given this picture a while ago, does any body know the company or anything about the lorry or the driver? The plate is a Grimsby reg number.

toxic gas man:
Hi all I remember Stamp of Avonmouth they had a few old Scammell Highwaymen,like us at ICI we used to load out of ISC at Avonmouth and they were always in there loading sulphuric i think .long time ago eh.cheers Ted

I am still amazed that no one has any photos of Graham Gardners Mercedes Fleet, they were everywhere and mainly on the Wim Vos job but they did do everything else.

Remember the Orange cabs with the huge white numbers on them, although some did get the Vos livery in later years

steptoe:
I was given this picture a while ago, does any body know the company or anything about the lorry or the driver? The plate is a Grimsby reg number.

Sorry don’t know anything about the company/driver,the picture just brought back memories of my dad and his Scammell.
Thanks for posting.

i must have worked with some of you blokes first job on tankers was 1960 for a guy called frank penty from selby who had a few tankers in tommy allens and a s jones yard by the cut in the port, i then moved over to tommy allens to work with joe chamblin ,stan higginson dave rolf one or two others on bitumen out of stanlow from there on to GULF on north road , ended up at tankfreight and retired to france in 1999 sory no pics.

steptoe:

I wonder if it was this border Chemicals

Border Chemicals, maker of chemicals, of Grangemouth, Scotland

A joint venture of ICI, BP and Distillers Co

1963 Company established to manufacture acrylontrile at Grangemouth from ammonia made by ICI and propylene made by British Hydrocarbon Chemicals Ltd, a joint venture of BP and Distillers Co. The process had been developed by Distillers Co and Ugine.

1964 Announced project to make acrylates in the UK; the first such plant. Eventually announced would be built at Wilton, coming into operation in 1967.

1966 A second acrlyonitrile plant would be built at Grangemouth, but plans were shelved in 1968.

1967 BP acquired Distillers Co’s share in the company.

1978 BP acquired ICI’s share of the company, becoming part of BP Chemicals.

Wheel Nut:
I am still amazed that no one has any photos of Graham Gardners Mercedes Fleet, they were everywhere and mainly on the Wim Vos job but they did do everything else.

Remember the Orange cabs with the huge white numbers on them, although some did get the Vos livery in later years

I remember them running through Hull, but no photographs I’m afraid

Wheel Nut:

Steve Kirby off Bertschi’s worked for Gardener for quite a few years, I will ask him when I see him, he may have some pictures. The lorries where all Mercedes and based on Stallingborough Industrial Estate nearly oposite P&O roadtanks yard. I belive Gardener only had about 6 motors, but the fleet numbers didnt follow and started about 101.

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

Steve Kirby off Bertschi’s worked for Gardener for quite a few years, I will ask him when I see him, he may have some pictures. The lorries where all Mercedes and based on Stallingborough Industrial Estate nearly oposite P&O roadtanks yard. I belive Gardener only had about 6 motors, but the fleet numbers didnt follow and started about 101.

That is they, like I said you saw them allover :stuck_out_tongue:

If that is Catweazle Steve give him my best. :laughing:
Malc

Wheel Nut:

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

Malc

Yes, and hes still got all the facial hair…

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

Malc

He was a nice lad and started on the tanks around the same time as me, he always had a joke and a laugh

Wheel Nut:

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

steptoe:

Wheel Nut:

Malc

He was a nice lad and started on the tanks around the same time as me, he always had a joke and a laugh

He still is a nice lad, he trained me on tanks when I first started.

adr:
Hi Chris,
This was my wagon on Air Products, had her for nearly 6 years before they were replaced when Wincanton took over the contract :frowning: A.P. was an awesome job & Iwould have worked for them until I retired no problem! But hey ho, times change, the money did drop quite a bit when they 1st took over but it’s back up again now, Wincanton still run the Bulk fleet, but all the smaller tanks are filled by us now Cryoservice, we are mostly owned by A.P. now!
Regards Chris

In the late 60s and early 70s I did a few trips to Ireland shipped out of Preston and there was always an Air Products tank on but no unit and the driver had to go over to accompany the tank in case of emergencies as the colour scheme was not a thing to run about Belfast with then as they were often attacked so a local haulier pulled them over there the driver stayed aboard the ferry and came back with the empty tank and they were very well paid then.

I worked for Gilbraith Tankers for thirty years.
A very old established company who sold out to the Hargreaves Group.

I worked out of Shell Chemics at Stanlow from 1970 to about 1976 then BP Saltend for about 10 years and after that mostly ICI work.

Three tankers below from an early one to one of the later ones.

Russell.