Atkinson ----v-----ERF Reflections please

ramone:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Bewick:
My favourite was always the Atkinson but the ERF’s I ran were, I will freely admit, just as reliable and cost effective however although the ratio in the Bewick fleet was about 2 Atkys to 1 ERF. The Atky Borderer cab was far more roomier than the “A” Series ERF for a start. Cheers Bewick.

A matter of personal taste, I suspect, Dennis. The running gear was pretty much the same, wasn’t it? Marque loyalty, dealer proximity and chassis availability would all be relevant, perhaps?

It was chassis availability mainly Chris not withstanding a bias toward Atkinson :unamused: ! But I always recall much to the chagrin of ERF’s that they were sometimes referred to as ERFKINSONS ! But I can say that both marques gave us Sterling service ! Cheers Dennis.

What did your drivers think Dennis , what was their preference, i remember my dad getting a brand new Atkinson in the early 70s and wasn`t impressed whereas he went to Harold Woods and eventually got a new A Series and liked that. Maybe down to personal taste like Chris said because it was basically a different cab

Hiya “ramone” well I can’t really say that the Drivers said much about which unit they preferred but as we run more Atkinsons they were the backbone of the fleet for a few years. Personally I always believed that the 220 ■■■■■■■ was more lively in the Atky as it had the 10 speed Fuller box( 610) as opposed to the 8speed and crawler( 609 ) in the 220 "A"Series. But there wasn’t much to choose between the two as they were both the Premier UK motors for many years. Just my opinion others may disagree. Cheers Dennis.