LFC942W F10

Good morning all

Can someone please help me find out some info on the very original Volvo F10 i have just purchased… I understand Len Crane owned it, but im trying to find out for how long and any other history about it…

Im new to this on Truck Net so apologise if i have done anything wrong!

Best wishes
Will

WillF10:
Good morning all

Can someone please help me find out some info on the very original Volvo F10 i have just purchased… I understand Len Crane owned it, but im trying to find out for how long and any other history about it…

Im new to this on Truck Net so apologise if i have done anything wrong!

Best wishes
Will

Hi Will,
Len bought her as a 4 x 2 unit in the late 80’s or very early 90’s, I went with him to Abergavenny steam fair in 1986/7 and he had the F88 then. Len put that tag axle on himself after he had been to a steam fair in Holland, discovered he may have been a bit overweight on the drive axle! I’ll ring a mate who has a better memory than me, Cheer’s Pete. ps. I have sent you a pm,

This is very interesting …

I hope someone can dig out who had it new …

going on the reg I assume North London…

Times like this I wish my good old friend Noel Minchew was still alive AKA ( lauriedriver) ( or something like that )

WillF10:

Times like this I wish my good old friend Noel Minchew was still alive AKA ( lauriedriver) ( or something like that )

Isn’t FC an Oxford reg? Maybe supplied by Dawson’s of Leighton Buzzard, maybe they hold such records?

That would ring true to what i was told…

I will give there frim a whirl… do they still exist ?

short walk:

WillF10:

Isn’t FC an Oxford reg? Maybe supplied by Dawson’s of Leighton Buzzard, maybe they hold such records?

BRS had a Volvo F10 unit starting with the reg LFC, not this unit I may add, it worked out of James Bridge Coopper works at Walsall so could be ex BRS, Jakey may know?, Cheer’s Pete

one from the past

short walk:

WillF10:

Indeed it is, and would have been supplied by Dawson’s either as an outright purchase to an operator or it may have been a contract vehicle or even on the spot hire fleet

steelboyf10:
one from the past

What a fantastic photo

Morning Will,
A couple of pics my mate sent me, he told me Len had changed the engine around 2009 and seems to think it was an F12 engine fitted?
The second pic has Lens Burrell showmans engine loaded, I gave Len a lift to refit the back wheels on that after he had cut the gears for differential, I will never moan about changing a super single ever again!

Any photos of how she’s looking now

IMG_2593.JPG

Have I done it correct ?

WillF10:

Have I done it correct ?

Not unless it’s in Australia

WillF10:

Have I done it correct ?

For god sake, i dont know why its upside down ■■

I will try another

WillF10:

WillF10:

Have I done it correct ?

For god sake, i dont know why its upside down ■■

I will try another

There you go

robthedog:
There you go

Thank you !!

So from the picture it doesn’t look that bad… but

No floors
Rear of cab has gone can see the bunk from the outside
Various other rot places like the cab section Main frame is bust away in each corner
Cab roof has a hole in so all the water has been coming in for a few years I’d say
The mice moved into the bunk and have ate it inside out

It’s criminal why the previous owner has just left it outside for 5 years?!

One of our mechanics is on with making a frame so we can have the cab off to get stuck in !

Pictures ( probably upside down) to follow very soon .

Cheers
Will

A quick google, and this came up, i think if you can get in contact with the guy on this forum you may find out more, only 5yrs ago this thread, but she looked very tidy then;

tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=36669

There are a few good photos on there too

I’m surprised it’s in that bad a state because in the picture it looks in very good condition trouble is you never know until you start digging and open up the can of worms

bristolrob:
A quick google, and this came up, i think if you can get in contact with the guy on this forum you may find out more, only 5yrs ago this thread, but she looked very tidy then;

tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=36669

There are a few good photos on there too

That is young Tom who used to help Len out with his engine, he wouldn’t be old enough when Len bought the Volvo. That is the lad who sent me the pics above.
Here is pic of Len’s F88, that Fowler on the back weighed between 21 and 23 ton depending on how much water and coal she had on board, that F88 is sitting well considering the weight on her back!