Nationwide Transport Ltd., Cardiff

Are there any photos of Nationwide Transport Trucks out there? I am writing a book about some of my memories from the mid seventies when I was one of the thousands of UK and European drivers driving overland to the Middle East.
The first chapter aims to tell the story of the guy that helped me more than any other … Leighton Davies, Managing Director, Nationwide Transport.
I worked with Nationwide from 1972 to 1975. Billy Brunt RIP was my direct boss.
I would appreciate any photos that I am able to use in the book … especially if they display the registration STX291M. Thanks

Hello Brian,I put this on the"Scrapbook memories" thread which is currently on page 3 back in 2008,its spoilt because of the watermark on it and also the Atkis are from the 60s so not relevant to your book,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

untitled.png

Brian Williams:
Are there any photos of Nationwide Transport Trucks out there? I am writing a book about some of my memories from the mid seventies when I was one of the thousands of UK and European drivers driving overland to the Middle East.
The first chapter aims to tell the story of the guy that helped me more than any other … Leighton Davies, Managing Director, Nationwide Transport.
I would appreciate any photos that I am able to use in the book … especially if they display the registration STX291M. Thanks

That lorry comes up on the South Wales thread. I’ve found a link to one of the references to it, by someone who drove the lorry. It it is:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40567&start=5250

There are probably lots of references on there but the thread has over 700 pages so it’d be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Ro

Thanks for the replies … 700-pages is a lot to search through just to find a pic of the MAN 16.232 STX291M that I was allocated. One rainy day maybe.
I can still remember being a bit put out even though it was a brand new unit … I had previously been driving one of the two yellow DAF 2200 sleeper cabs and loved it. There weren’t many sleeper cabs on the road in '72/73 and the new MAN was a day cab.
It wasn’t long before (all of us) had curtains fitted and makeshift beds cobbled up and the MAN was a good solid reliable truck.

Brian Williams:

Hi
You make reference to a Billy Brunt - was this the same guy who went to work fir Trans Arabia in Jeddah - if so what a great guy he was and look at the Trans Arabia/S Jones pages page 72 - their are quite a few photos on the site of him with 2 of his best pals in TA.
Thanks
Ken B

Brian Williams:
Thanks for the replies … 700-pages is a lot to search through just to find a pic of the MAN 16.232 STX291M that I was allocated. One rainy day maybe.
I can still remember being a bit put out even though it was a brand new unit … I had previously been driving one of the two yellow DAF 2200 sleeper cabs and loved it. There weren’t many sleeper cabs on the road in '72/73 and the new MAN was a day cab.
It wasn’t long before (all of us) had curtains fitted and makeshift beds cobbled up and the MAN was a good solid reliable truck.

Good morning Brian,
Great to see you on here mate.If you put the registration of the MAN into the dialogue box on the top left,then images should appear?
Regards Andrew.

Hi Ken ,
We’ve spoken a couple of times on Facebook … I just looked at page 73 and sure enough Taffy Bill looks like my old pal Billy Brunt.
He was my boss at Nationwide Transport and although we didn’t initially get on, we eventually became big pals. He did at least one overland trip out Teheran for Nationwide and I met up with him and Ronnie Wright at the Teheran Mocamp next to the DT compound.
We lost touch for several years and I heard that he was working out in Saudi.
I’m writing a book and hopefully will see the project through and get it printed and published … depends on final costs.
I’ll be mentioning Billy a few times.
When he returned to the UK he worked for Ely Transport in Cardiff and we met up again.
The last time I saw him, he was suffering from the big C … he was kind to me during that conversation and gave me a few nice compliments which are always welcome. Even though he wouldn’t have hired me if he’d been there when I first walked through the door at Nationwide. Leighton Davies, the MD was there that day and took me on … !
Billy passed away in 2018 and sadly, I was unable to attend his funeral.
I’ll look through more of the Trans Arabia pages asap just for confirmation that it really is my mate Brunty.
Thanks for the info Ken … very grateful.

pete 359:

Brian Williams:

Good morning Brian,
Great to see you on here mate.If you put the registration of the MAN into the dialogue box on the top left,then images should appear?
Regards Andrew.

Thanks Andrew … I’ll try it. I’d love to dig one up from somewhere … one that I can use that is.

The ‘South Wales Hauliers 60s and 70s onwards’ thread is the one you want. There are lots of references to Nationwide MANs throughout the thread but it’s not so easy locating the pictures. There are some pics of their MAN F8s on p640, for example, but you can’t read the number plates. I’d just grit my teeth and scroll through a few pages each evening if I were you.

Ro

1974 nationwide tpt cardiff ppg.PNG

Good morning Brian,
Thanks for the message earlier.