James childs demolition, sheffield

A few of us were talking recently, and the subject came around to demolition firms in the South Yorkshire area in the 1950’s, and James Childs was about the only one we could remember. Has anybody got any photos or memories of them, or any other demolition firms from that area from the end of WW2 to the sixties? (nothing modern, please!)

fodenway:
A few of us were talking recently, and the subject came around to demolition firms in the South Yorkshire area in the 1950’s, and James Childs was about the only one we could remember. Has anybody got any photos or memories of them, or any other demolition firms from that area from the end of WW2 to the sixties? (nothing modern, please!)

Harry Hodges were about same time as Jimmy Childs he was a bit of a colourful character by all accounts shall we say.

Brilliant photos John, just what I was looking for - question is, what colours were they?

Singo55:

fodenway:

Harry Hodges were about same time as Jimmy Childs he was a bit of a colourful character by all accounts shall we say.

Thanks, another name from the past. I seem to remember they had red wagons. When did they finish?

fodenway:
Brilliant photos John, just what I was looking for - question is, what colours were they?

Seem to remember they had green and cream cabs and red chassis.Hodges had maroon cabs and black chassis.

According to records found, James Childs passed away 30/8/2009 R.I.P.
(Not my photo)
The lorries were Green & Cream from the info what i have found.

There are three pages on the Sheffield Foum website about Jimmy Childs but alas no colour photos.

Without me consulting my book I think Jimmy Childs ran a V8 Mandator,AWE 104G.If it weren’t him it were his opponent Harry Hodges.