F.T. Evans and Son Bromley - 1950s and 1960s?

Hello.

I am engaged in researching my family history.

My GrandFather, Frederick Thomas Evans (b. 1912 d. 1966) was a Londoner born and bred, a cockney with deep roots reaching into many generations past.

He owned F.T. Evans & Son (East 4443, Bromley by Bow, London E.3.) which he inherited from his Father, Frederick Thomas Evans (my Father was also named Frederick Thomas Evans and thus the F for Frederick in my name).

I have attached a copy of a photo of he and his brothers, with their old 1930s Bedford Lorry (can anyone identify the exact year and model?).

Might anyone be able to assist me in locating the company site on an old map of Bromley? Photos?

I visited there a couple of times in my childhood.

Can anyone tell me if the Radford Bridge Transport Cafe (London and Portsmouth Road, Liphook, Hampshire) still exists in any form? Photos?

Any additional suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Vincent F. Evans.

Frederick Thomas Evans:

During WWII, Fred (my GrandFather) was a lorry driver for the RASC (Service Number 227811) and was captured February 15, 1942, during the Fall of Singapore (about 80,000 British, Indian and Australian troops in Singapore became prisoners of war, joining 50,000 taken by the Japanese in the earlier Malayan Campaign. Churchill called it “the worst disaster” in British military history).

Fred survived being a POW in a Japanese camp in Thailand, then returned home after the war to (Southend on Sea) to enjoy the few short years of the rest of his life.

His Father served in WWI handling heavy horses for artillery transport.

I was told, somewhat ironically, he survived the war, only to be later run over and killed by a car and driver.

I am, as yet, uncertain whether the company was started before, or after WWI.