P.I.E. International

John West:

Birdie4x4:
I ran to the Middle East quite a bit around 77/78 and ran with P.I.E. lorries a couple of times, when you were all traveling in the same direction for days on end it was hard to get away from each other sometimes!!
Here’s the only picture I have and I can only remember the DAF’s.

Sorry the picture isn’t any better.
Steve

I worked for Douglas Freight in 1976, driving a silver grille Volvo exactly like that. The later model with the wipers hung from the bottom instead of the terrible top air driven things. It was a good motor. Not the most powerful, but Totally reliable, which to me was the most important thing on M/E.

Picture of me standing next to it outside Adasco, our agent in Jeddah.

Just read your blog with the video traveling from H4 to Turaif across the desert, do you remember the fort half way across, I was told to keep the fort to my right when crossing, you can just make out another lorry in front near the fort.

Sorry its a bad photo but like me they’re all fading a bit. When following others and the dust started blowing you could be miles apart when it cleared, trying to plot a course back towards them avoiding the soft patches was quite a challenge, it made a big difference when the new road was opened.
Steve