BRS 2021: what would nationalisation look like?

I’m lighting the blue touch-paper and beating a hasty retreat to the perimeter fence here! I am also aware that this CV19 crisis touches some seriously raw nerves, so I don’t wish to be flippant here. I ran a lorry once as an owner-driver and I know how critical the cash-flow situation can be.

Recent suggestions have been bandied about concerning the re-nationalisation of the road haulage sector. It last happened in the late '40s when British Road Services was formed. What on earth would a 21st century BRS look like? What would it be called? How would it compete? How would it be seen abroad (think Hungarocamion, CSAD, Sovtransauto et al)?

Your thoughts, gentlemen, on the present; your reflections on the past; and your hopes for the future, please.

Ro

BRS still exists, it never went away, its called DHL now, if we nationalise anybody, Turners will turn Yellow as will WS Transportation and Keedwell.

Pickfords
Woods
Tankfreight
Exel
DHL.

That’s my twopen’orth

Mr Dennis Smith is waiting in the wings to be managing director! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
He’s Looking for a new challenge now that his exports to the Far East have dried up.
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Mr Dennis Smith is waiting in the wings to be managing director! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
He’s Looking for a new challenge now that his exports to the Far East have dried up.
Regards Kev.

Kev, You will never get that Nobel peace prize now!

pete smith:

kevmac47:
Regards Kev.

Kev, You will never get that Nobel peace prize now!

He’s busy counting his engines in the barn and wondering just how much he can con BRS out of for a job lot! There is also the possibility of repatriating a large number of Gardners from the Far East with minimal miles. I reckon he’s all set for his 4th million!

Just to make sure it’s going to be a balanced board of directors, how about Carryfast for Vehicle Procurement Director? :laughing: :laughing: That will keep the 8 potters buried away! :imp: :imp:
And while we’re on a roll, Chris Webb as Neet Out and Route Planning supremo? :smiley: :smiley:
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Just to make sure it’s going to be a balanced board of directors, how about Carryfast for Vehicle Procurement Director? :laughing: :laughing: That will keep the 8 potters buried away! :imp: :imp:
And while we’re on a roll, Chris Webb as Neet Out and Route Planning supremo? :smiley: :smiley:
Regards Kev.

They will be in a bigger mess than the first time around Kev!

pete smith:

kevmac47:
Regards Kev.

We need a bit of chaos to cheer us up in these testing times Pete!
Bring it on!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

pete smith:

kevmac47:
Regards Kev.

We need a bit of chaos to cheer us up in these testing times Pete!
Bring it on!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards Kev.

I agree 100% Kev!

ERF-NGC-European:
… (think Hungarocamion, CZAD, Sovtransauto et al)?

Your thoughts, gentlemen, on the present; your reflections on the past; and your hopes for the future, please.

Ro

I can add a few hazy memories:

VEB Deutrans (DDR)

VEK Deutrans (DDR)

PeKaEs (Poland)

Sofimat(?) (Bulgaria)

“F” Troop (Help!! - I can’t remember their proper name :blush: ) (Romania)

I would like to see a nationally-owned corporation enter the fray of logistics, in competition with the private sector. It would have road, rail, air and water as its resources, possibly built around passenger rail and bus services as its core. The private sector makes a meal of that job- an expensive, over-packaged, fatty one- which is why the roads are full of cars, in normal times. Look how lovely and clear the roads are now. The pandemic has served one good purpose- to show us a more leisurely lifestyle, with efficient transport- even if it has blighted the lives of many.

I worked with the NFC both before, during, and after privatisation. Neither of the entities were efficient and the same thing would happen if it was to be resurrected. The concept of a completely joined up freight transport system is great in theory but in practice it would just end up as the transport equivalent of a family wedding with everyone falling out.

I worked for Southern BRS in the 70’s just before privatization and there were certain advantages for drivers in working for a nationalized industry.
1: The membership of the T&GW Union was compulsory and the union made sure the driver was paid correctly. Overtime, early starts, double time for Sunday, day-off in lieu for bank holidays.
2: No fuel cards needed. Just pull in to a NFC depot and fuel-up. Also any repairs could be done at any NFC workshop.
3: Overnight parking was available at most NFC depots and also on British Rail property.
4: The power of the union stopped the management from bullying drivers. There was always enough time to do the job. Driving time was calculated at 26 mph.

All these points would still be relevant for a new BRS 2021 and make it a better job for a lot of drivers. With computers and cellphones; in theory, BRS 2021 should be a lot more efficient than the old one but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

dieseldave:

ERF-NGC-European:
… (think Hungarocamion, CZAD, Sovtransauto et al)?

Ro

I can add a few hazy memories:

VEB Deutrans (DDR)

VEK Deutrans (DDR)

PeKaEs (Poland)

Sofimat(?) (Bulgaria)

“F” Troop (Help!! - I can’t remember their proper name :blush: ) (Romania)

Ah yes! Somat in Bulgaria. Rom-Trans in Rumo. And I’ve just remembered CSAD in Czechoslovakia.

Ro

If they bring back BRS Parcels I still remember how to rebuild the 5.1 BMC diesels in the Noddy Vans which could be handy! :wink: :laughing:

Pete.

We’ve had a “Why did British Leyland Fail” thread, maybe we should make this the “Why did BRS Fail” thread.

Eddie DHL of Soham ?

Someone best call Volvo and the FL 10 made again !

The toss pots in Whitehall cant run the country without lying let alone being in charge of nationalised transport, they called in the army to distribute PPE that we have apparently not even got when there were far more well equipped firms who could have done the job far more efficiently ie on pallets instead of a pass the parcel system. Its like someone suggesting an alternative to the postal system we have at present it would cost a fortune to set up and they would not be able to better the service levels of Royal Mail and some have tried.
Healthy competition in the transport sector is a good thing its a leveler, those who cut corners and do it on the cheap don’t last long and even today there are companies willing to pay up for service especially as its mostly JIT there after as no one keeps massive stocks anymore, got me tin hat on and retreating to me bunker Buzzer

Dear oh dear !! A few may be disappointed :cry: but many will be delighted :smiley: that I really do not have the remotest of constructive comments to post on this fantasy Thread I really don’t, end of ! :wink: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Bewick:
Dear oh dear !! A few may be disappointed :cry: but many will be delighted :smiley: that I really do not have the remotest of constructive comments to post on this fantasy Thread I really don’t, end of ! :wink: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Not even with a reincarnation of a fleet of 500 GUY Big J.s with 8 pot Gardners in em, Dennis don’t tell me you would’nt be tempted.