Wapping newspaper job 1986>

Any of you old hands remember the Wapping news international job, when TNT took on the distribution of the Times and The Sun, I was trawling the google images and found a few pics, and a video, which I will try to load up!
I was at TNT at the time when it went live, remember the plastic screen protectors and recruiting drivers for the LT45 “white mice”…got a licence…your in…ah it’s a fishing licence :smiley: :open_mouth: , all those white 112 Scania, and Cartwright step frame trailers, all pre speed limiter!

90F46C33-F543-48A1-BF85-7BBD84958BE6.jpeg

Sunnier pulling out of wapping

Should say Subbie!

We used to get an ■■■■■■ in from the bottom of the M1 in , and back out

F854A04E-95FD-469F-BB16-6707D7EF527F.jpeg

We were given a load of Bedford TLs and Cargos from news international, seems one didn’t make it out of the gate down the ramp…must have had their weetabix :wink:

C4711364-7FE7-4A83-BFF3-AB894FD19079.jpeg

Once it settled down we got a bit more public with the livery…

Video, great hair

youtu.be/2O0pffFhExg

Hope the link works… :question:

Wapping plant, yard full of trailers

C1E63E95-832C-49F6-B6AD-E635FEBC37DD.jpeg

The wrecker used to be a regular visitor to Milton depot, dragged them back to the group workshop at Ramsbottom…aka Tups Arse

C8356491-77F1-4CE3-8334-AF658885811A.jpeg

Might even buy this book and hear how it was from the top…Tom “no egg no fish” Bell, as we knew him due to him not liking egg or fish on his sandwiches :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

21F61DF1-C7F4-40C7-9F91-915CF6C3FAEF.jpeg

I remember the 90’s pulling papers out of wapping, we were usually parked outside on the cobbles on a thurs night ready for the friday flyer back via hants/dorset/wilts…was a cracking job for a nipper that was still very keen [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hiya,after being made redundant from Novacold I got a job on TNT,1998 when I started and after being rebranded as Ceva this was my last job til I retired last November.Doing the newspapers out of Wapping was my 1st job on there,a 4 on 2 off nights which as I thought would be ok until I found something better.All the grief that the drivers had from the 80s had gone except on the anniversary of the poor sole who lost his life under a set of trailer wheels then the stalwarts from the strike force would turn up and shout abuse and the odd brick being chucked at us.We would be briefed to lock the doors etc but actually it wasn’t that bad.As a keen lorry “anorak” I took a few pictures,the one below was taken by a pal of mine and shows the line up at Old Sodbury on the A46 when that was the Bristol depot,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi again,as I said I did take a few pictures of the kit we were using,the main lorries were M.A.Ns and nobody kept the same lorry and it was usually a hot seat handover so mileages were through the roof…P995 RTW was a long term rental wagon but the trailer was nearly new ,M116 XYG was a 5 potter with a twin splitter and had a rented trailer on the back…both seen parked in Reading services on the M4,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Ok,a couple of more pics,P761 TUB seen at TNTs depot at Iver,west London…most days would see a load being dropped in there on the way to Wapping and lastly P558 SWT seen again in Reading services with a Westferry trailer on its back,this was to service all the papers coming out of Westferry print works on the Isle of Dogs east London but in truth more often or not the trailer would be routed to Wapping.P558 is seen back in service after being rebuilt and recabbed after being rolled over in Cornwall…3 weeks later it caught fire in the loading hall in Wapping and was destroyed!!, Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi Bubbs, knew I could rely on you for some pics!, the Bristol Fleet with their signature white step rings!!, Andy ran a good fleet at Old Sudbury.
I guess the re Cab was one of the group Engineering rebuilds?, they were mega mile motors, and like you say never went cold
Enjoy your retirement…I finished at TNT in 2000,see you around
SBF10

steelboyf10:

Is that taken from inside the loading hall at Wapping looking towards the doorway?
Traffic office on the right?

Your know the previous batch of F90’s could be made to trick the limiter if you overadjusted the outer throttle cable under the bonnet?, er so i’m told :smiling_imp:

Juddian:

steelboyf10:

Is that taken from inside the loading hall at Wapping looking towards the doorway?
Traffic office on the right?

Your know the previous batch of F90’s could be made to trick the limiter if you overadjusted the outer throttle cable under the bonnet?, er so i’m told :smiling_imp:

Yes, I occasionally used to drive a LHD one with the Commander cab that had been thus fettled. It helped me to make some of my favourite Routiers before closing time on some of my longer European shifts. Long time ago, of course…

I started for TNT after Brain haulage went bang in 1992 with a couple of mates from there at the brentwood Childerditch lane depot 4 on 2 off money was at best ok but to be honest we did ■■■■ all to earn it, start about 7pm up to wapping sit about in the canteen till about 2ish then back to either Chelmsford or Colchester, we was home indoors by 5am, then some smart arse in wapping decided as we didnt do much we could all drive these little VW Van’s all over the city delivering to the early news stalls, we all moaned about it until we started getting asked if we could get any extras, “how much?” ten quid a bundle? Say no more, when you was in the big hall loading there were bundles everywhere so happy days, that was until I found out I was working xmas and new year,ha see you later.lol.
Steve.

Hi steelboy f10 or is it now TNT Ramsbottom had 2 f88 290s any pics One driven by Bob aka Scotland BOB :smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

Hi again,when en route to Wapping it was usual to drop a load of magazines (TNT had 90% of the UKs magazine distribution) into the likes of W.H.Smiths,John Menzies etc who distributed the mags to the shops,as our Bristol warehouse was no bigger than your average garden shed mags would be piled onto trailers just to create room…heres one example,magazines ain’t lightweight…there were 21 pallets this side and the same amount on the other :blush: ,I’m glad this was only a short hop to Smiths in Bristol,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi again,Heading into London on the M4 I passed Heston services and some “person” :imp: decided to launch a brick from one of the overbridges…the result is in the pictures,TNT put it down to one of the Fleet Steet strike crowd :cry: .The lorry was an Iveco Cargo,we had several of these on “L” plates,they didn’t last long and at 3 years old 3 of them were being broken for spares at Old Sodbury,Cheers Bubbs, :wink: