Characters from Yestearyear probably now gone!

I remember a couple of likely lads who liked a drink, everyone did in those days, the breathalyser only came into being in 1967 and generally only used after an accident. One driver who shall remain nameless worked for a local firm, it was also in the days of log sheets, farmers goods and Guinness labels.

“Dusty” would come to work on the bus, it was about 18 miles for him, he couldn’t get a job nearer home as everyone knew his timekeeping was rubbish. The local haulier to me saw something in Dusty and had a lorry ready for him whenever he turned up. He got paid per job, not per week so as soon as he needed money, he would be back. I have seen him fall off the bus, pick himself up and get into the yard, the boss had a very understanding wife, she would make him a sandwich or share some food with him, he wasn’t a mucky bloke, after being at sea, he looked after himself quite well. apart from the drinking. I have seen the boss pull his lorry to the pump, fill it up and point it in the general direction of Scotland, he would push and help lift Dusty into the cab after an argument about how much he was paying him for the job.

This bloke would drive to Montrose through the night, unload and come straight back within about 24 hours, he would never turn round for a second run, he wanted a lift home once he had been paid, he had a wife, but I don’t know when he saw her, he would get dropped off outside the pub, disappear inside, the next time we saw him was when the money had gone and he needed to do another run.

I recall another job where he had to run up to Scotland to load a lift tank, he had done a few and it was normally proper scotch whisky, the tanks were locked & sealed and there was none to be had, however one job was different, he had his loading address and this whisky wasn’t blended, it wasn’t even whisky, it was contaminated ethanol and was going into some chemical process. Dusty knew enough that Ethanol made Whisky, the tank wasn’t sealed so he had a couple of containers away, this stuff is pure alcohol, or about 95% alcohol, we drink whisky at 40% in moderation. :confused:

After a couple of days the boss is beginning to worry, the blokes wife must have been concerned as she turned up on the bus. Dusty had stopped off and tried some of his new “whisky,” luckily another driver had seen the lorry on his way up Scotch, and it was still there when he came back so stopped. The second driver called an ambulance and they took Dusty away, it was only when this driver got back anyone was the wiser. Dusty made a full recovery, but 50 years later it still crops up in conversation and in the pub when its open.

I remember seeing his obituary in the paper, he lived into his 90’s so I think he was already embalmed when he died. :stuck_out_tongue: