Lorry Driver of the Year

LDoY Competition Notts.Centre 1970-1990
Held at Newark Showground mostly with some venues being elsewhere.
Organisers: Jack Glazebrook (Glazebrook Transport) Overall concept and control.
Colin Adkin (Eastwood & District Motor Club) Clerk of the Course
Alan Cooper (EDMC) Treasurer, Road Route organiser and Trophy control.
Started in May 1970 and continued continuously to 1990 which represented 21 years of competition.
Richard Squire (Nottm. Co-op Dairy Manager) replaced Jack Glazebrook upon Jack’s death.

The National competition was sponsored by Commercial Motor magazine until 1985 when other sponsors took over ending with Legal & General support.
Close family members provided invaluable support in various duties with the Newark Lorry Drivers Association providing road route marshals.
Track tests were run by members of Eastwood & District Motor Club.

Eight Classes from small vans through to large rigid and attics.
Class Trophies all donated by major Companies in the trade.
Class A Rigid Vehicles up to 20ft overall length & over 20 cwt u/l Lombank Trophy
Class B Rigid vehicles over 20 ft and up to 24ft Andrew Trophy
Class C Rigid Vehicles over 24ft and up to 28ft John Player Trophy
Class D Rigid Vehicles over 28ft Shell-Mex and B.P. Trophy
Class E Flat or sided semi-trailers up to 33ft Velvetone Oil Trophy
Class F Box or tank semi-trailers up to 33ft Briggs Trophy
Class G Flat or sided semi-trailers over 33ft Highway Trailers Trophy
Class H Box or tank semi-trailers over 33ft Marshall Group Trophy
Overall Winner Vic Hallam Trophy
Runner-Up Commercial Motors(Clay Cross) Trophy
Team Award Sandicliffe of Stapleford Trophy
Best Armed Forces The Amoco Shield
Best Own Account Driver F.T.A.Trophy
Second and third class places received mementoes, usually of glass or stainless steel or medals

Entries were generally over 100 annually with great support from Companies and Drivers.
The event consisted of four parts:
1.Scrutineering on arrival at the event venue where licences were checked and vehicles measured to ensure they had entered the correct class.
2. Highway Code question paper.
3. Road Route navigated by a Route Card of 25-30 miles in the local area on which Observers were positioned at undisclosed positions to record penalties incurred by e.g. kerbing, failure to comply with road signs, signals, being off route, etc.
4. Three timed manoeuvring tests where driving ability was tested through obstacles and penalties awarded for various driving errors- typically reversing into loading bay, Width judgement, Kerb parking
Each class winner gained entry through to the National Finals and was awarded a Trophy and replica.
The event usually started at 0900 hrs and finished at approx 1700 hrs with the awards presentations – a very full day for both competitors and organizers.
Event organisation usually started in February each year.
Colin Adkin passed away in 2019
Richard Squire continued as BTRDA Autotest Champion for many years.
Alan Cooper became a National Steward for 1993-1996

The National Finals were held at the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Artillery Gamecock Barracks in Nuneaton for many years, I was stationed there between 1975 and 1977 as a Regimental Police Shift Commander and we had to ensure all was set up and the place organised for the event, although it was a busy time for me I did manage to have a look around the vehicles and observe the tests, I even entered the tyre changing competition and came third (an old guy pulled me to one side later and said I should have won as I was quickest but the older blokes that came 1st and 2nd competed against each other every year and the Judges chose them alternatively to be the winner, I wasn’t really bothered I enjoyed taking part), those years were some of the hottest of the 70’s too so there was always a high number of visitors. Franky.

I entered the Lorry driver of the year in 1979 won my area but got no where in the all England final. In the class i was in there was only 3 off us i had a short tipping trailer and an f86 Volvo one of the others i beat was post office can remember the 3 rd one. Area competition was held at the army Camp in Borden the finals as you say were somewhere in the Coventry area i think can’t remember now all a long time ago. Still got me cup and plaque somewhere. :sunglasses: