Glasgow Transcontinentals

pollystag:

dieseldog999:
remember they were council workers,so there wouldnt have been a lot of driver input or initiative required.
id reckon they would need a double drive setup as mush as the tesco plobbers need the plastic shovel they all get issued with.
most likely someone in the council got a nice backhander from wylies commercials. :wink:

most of these humble council workers are probably retired now on nice final salary pensions, how about you?

I won’t get drawn into your brown envelope scenario but I can tell you that some of the tractor units that we rented to them came back with so little mileage on them I doubt they even left Polmadie. I spoke to the TM about this and he explained that the dept worked on a fixed budget that had to be spent. For some strange reason it was ok if there was an overspend as that was put down to “operating conditions” but an underspend would result in the budget for the following years being reduced. Maybe they just had to spend, spend, spend and it wasn’t necessarily corrupt (although I wouldn’t rule that out). We had a few big transport companies that we used to supply to at the end of their financial year that seemed to follow this practice. In fact, if I’m brutally honest, BRS (and indeed the whole of the NFC) was run on a similar line at that time - this was pre-privatisation days we’re talking about. Making a profit only put you under pressure to repeat it again the following year but a loss was somehow acceptable. I got pulled up by my director shortly after I had taken over one of the branches and asked why I hadn’t submitted any expense claims. When I told him that I didn’t like any of our customers enough to spend an afternoon getting ■■■■■■ with them he said that it was reflecting badly on the other managers. I think it was at that point that I decided my future career should go in a different direction.