Prestons of potto - early days

Does anyone have any information or photos of the lorries used by Prestons (of Potto) around 1950/55, or know what type of work they were involved in? I know it was a long time ago, but you never know…

Got some but not as far back as you want, Buzzer

anne-preston-who-runs-the-commercial-side-of-the-northallerton-haulage-ewr71p.jpg

4241739297_6c21754afc_z.jpg

Hi there Fodenway,

Have you been in touch with Anne Preston and asked her, as I am sure that both Richard and David Preston had a lot of photographs of both the trucks and steamers that they ran,

Ed

transportphotos.com/road/photos
In 1957 Richard Preston was approached by a brick manufacturer who was struggling to find transport owing to the diesel shortage during the Suez Crisis. A deal was struck and traction engine Lightning II hauled 20 tonnes of bricks between Darlington and Ampleforth every day for 3 months. When diesel became readily available again, Richard Preston purchased a lorry to maintain the contract and the haulage company was founded.

prestons-of-potto-stephen-smith.jpg

fodenway:
Does anyone have any information or photos of the lorries used by Prestons (of Potto) around 1950/55, or know what type of work they were involved in? I know it was a long time ago, but you never know…

Have a look at their website, the history of the company is on there

I met Richard Preston a few times as Anne and Richard were very involved with the Masham Steam Rally which I still exhibit at and always had their steamer on show.

Pete.

The late David Preston a shot taken in the early 90’s when we were attending IIRC the Rai show in Holland as guests of Mercs, great craic ( from what I remember hic! hic!) good company ! Cheers Dennis.