Owner driver fridge hauliers in the 80s 90s

I ran out of Gt Harwood Meat Products and a lot of the meat plants in the UK and Ireland and out onto the continent in the late 70s 80s , can anyone remember my great friends Dave Wilson and Cecil Johnson from Balbriggan , and has any photographs ■■? , stories or anecdotes of Steersides , Kelly Freight , The Scottish hauliers Bon Accord , Malcolm Glover from Castle Douglas , list is endless really
Phil Dickinson

Hi, my first proper driving job was with a subby for Malcolm Glover in 1990, hanging lambs out of Lockerbie to Rungis/Lyon/Vitry/Antwerp/Brussels. After a couple of months the subby went bust and I got a job direct with him, he was already starting to move away from fridge work into groupage as the big computer firms in Scotland were flying high at the time and Scottish Express International were looking for subbies. I worked for him for around 12 yrs in total. He eventually had around 20 motors. Good boss, left you to get on with the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Phil D.

Never knew Dave Wilson personally but remember seeing his tidy Volvo globetrotter pulling a fridge a few times.
Somewhere i have a pic of it but cant find it at the moment. :unamused: :wink:

Hi the first Artic I ever bought was a AEC Mammoth Minor twin steer which I bought in Gillingham, Dorset from a o/d who was pulling for Frigo Scandia, it was a non sleeper and he was 6ft plus and used to go away in iy and sleep in it as well, remember it was part painted in Frigo’s sick green colour which I painted black, it had an AV760 engine and pulled very well, I moved on to continental motors and the rest is history, Buzzer.

Hi I used to run out of the Frigoscandia depot at Simonswood , Kirkby for a few years before I purchased my own fridge , the hauliers there at that time were Andy Davies , who had a Bedford TM with a Detroit in with a massive customised cab with a double bed in , if memory serves me right it had either Nightwing or Nighthawk , lovely looking truck I saw it when all there was left on a brand new Bedford was the front grill and windscreen before the bodybuilders finished it ….there was Dave Hughes (Kandhu Trucking) Derek Jardine (owner driver) , Jimmy from Thomas Harwoods
I purchased my first fridge form Cecil in Ireland , then went to run for Dublin Meats , Anglo Irish , Roscrea Pre packs , with initially a F88 . then a F89 and moved on to a Scania 141 , totally and absolutely mad days on the Irish beef , wrong heading really because I was doing that in the late 70s as well