Help. Bedford TK water leak

Hello. I need some help and advice. I have a Bedford TK that is converted to a mobile pub (I know…every man should have one). Anyway, its sprung a leak and i need a steer on what it might be. I am no mechanic but would like to be armed with some knowledge before I take it to a professional to be fixed. I’m told that he leak is on the number 6 injector. What might be the cause/source of the leak? I will take a photo/video of the leak and post it here if that’s any use. The vehicle is a Bedford TK, six cylinder deisel. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

FRONT.jpg

TKBar:
Hello. I need some help and advice. I have a Bedford TK that is converted to a mobile pub (I know…every man should have one). Anyway, its sprung a leak and i need a steer on what it might be. I am no mechanic but would like to be armed with some knowledge before I take it to a professional to be fixed. I’m told that he leak is on the number 6 injector. What might be the cause/source of the leak? I will take a photo/video of the leak and post it here if that’s any use. The vehicle is a Bedford TK, six cylinder deisel. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,
I’m not a mechanic but that sounds like the head…you may have a air line crack !

Very probably an injector sleeve leaking. These seem to be available on Ebay but I would emphatically recommend having a word with Graham who will not only supply parts but be able probably to point you in the direction to obtain the required advice and tools to fit them.

vehicleindependentparts.co.uk/why-choose-us

Cracked injector pipe?

It’s 40 years or more since I drove a TK and don’t remember them being a particular problem with leaks or head gaskets. Did they have a convoluted bypass hose like a mini or Morris engine?

As a cheap fix, how about a magic repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking about a fuel leak here or a coolant leak? If its fuel weeping from around the Injector pipe locking nut it could be a crack around the pipe union as it locates into the Injector, or the pipe itself has worn/cracked, check any part of it for rubbing against something, fuel can run from a place of leakage quite a distance from where it shows up, if its from the Injector where it fits into the head then the sleeve and seal could be suspect. I’m doubting this is a coolant leak just by what the OP said but if it is running the engine until full operating temp will usually show where its from or do a coolant pressure test. Not sure I’ve heard of an air line crack though! :laughing: Franky.

Ah just noticed the heading says coolant leak (water isn’t used as a term in the fix it and bodge it game!) ,the Injector sleeve is the most likely suspect, easy enough done and recommend changing all of them, get Injectors cleaned while they are out if funds permit! Franky.

If it is coolant, it will most likely be an injector sleeve.
Will want pulling out and re sealing or replacing. As per CAV 551 comment.

sleeve.jpg

For clarity…it is a coolant leak, not fuel.

Thank you for your very helpful responses. Any other thoughts welcome and I will post further when I have it resolved.

I think this is brilliant-more pics Required when you get your leak sorted.
I love Bedfords and I love bars!!!

Wheel Nut:
It’s 40 years or more since I drove a TK and don’t remember them being a particular problem with leaks or head gaskets. Did they have a convoluted bypass hose like a mini or Morris engine?

this stuff in the link absolutely does what it says on the tin though for anything over a 2-0 engine you need 2 bottles.
ive used it at least a dozen times with perfect or at least 99% perfect results where ive either kept or flogged the vehicle on.

deffo better than a 300–500 head job.

ebay.co.uk/itm/273580326508

dieseldog999:

Wheel Nut:

this stuff in the link absolutely does what it says on the tin though for anything over a 2-0 engine you need 2 bottles.
ive used it at least a dozen times with perfect or at least 99% perfect results where ive either kept or flogged the vehicle on.

deffo better than a 300–500 head job.

I’m 66yrs old n never knew there was something better than an head job !! They say you live n learn !

coomsey:
I’m 66yrs old n never knew there was something better than an head job !! They say you live n learn !

So many jokes so little time. :laughing:

O/p sorry to hear about your engine probs, but do tell us more about the mobile pub.
Do you go to events with it, or just go on tour and rock up somewhere in random towns.
Sitting having a couple of pints, and looking at an old TK, maybe having a sit in the cab, with all the memories it would bring back…what’s not to like. :laughing:

For those that have requested more pics, take a look at the slightly out of date website at www.offthewagon.pub. I’m just completing another makeover and it’s nearly ready for the parties, weddings and festivals for 2020…as long as I get the leak sorted :slight_smile:

TKBar: DONT put the squidgy stuff in your engine. You have a corroded injector ■■■■■■/seal. I would assume you have a 330D in there? Common fault on those engines. Hardest bit is getting the old one out. You should see the water coming out underneath the injector when the engine is hot.

TKBar:
For those that have requested more pics, take a look at the slightly out of date website at offthewagon.pub. I’m just completing another makeover and it’s nearly ready for the parties, weddings and festivals for 2020…as long as I get the leak sorted :slight_smile:

And plenty room outside for a pool table and strippers. :sunglasses: :laughing:
Which area are you in mate?

(Mods…I ain’t a paid plant to advertise his business btw. :laughing: :laughing: )

gazzer:
TKBar: DONT put the squidgy stuff in your engine. You have a corroded injector ■■■■■■/seal. I would assume you have a 330D in there? Common fault on those engines. Hardest bit is getting the old one out. You should see the water coming out underneath the injector when the engine is hot.

In the good old days long gone by, I made a short slide hammer using a wheel stud which could with a little effort ( some days lots) screw into the sleeve and pull it out of the head whilst in place , but do drain the water before starting the job.

Dave.

We did the same as with BMC injector sleeves, cut a thread in the sleeve with a tap and thread a bolt and large washer in. They would usually lever out then. Vauxhall/Bedford always recommended adding two ‘turds’ in the cooling system anyway to combat leaks, I wonder if they are still available?

Pete.

Gazzer - you mean don’t use the K-seal? Is that because it would do harm or just a waste of time and money?

RobRoy - I’m in Sussex…near Brighton

Windrush - ‘two turds’? I’m not taking a dump in the radiator :sunglasses:

TKBar:
Gazzer - you mean don’t use the K-seal? Is that because it would do harm or just a waste of time and money?

RobRoy - I’m in Sussex…near Brighton

Windrush - ‘two turds’? I’m not taking a dump in the radiator :sunglasses:

^^^^

this stuff will not mess your engine and is almost guaranteed to be perfect for every time ive used it…you need 2 bottles for over the normal 2-0 engine size…it wont crack or loosen and wont do what k seal does after a while though k seal is ok if your just going to sell the motor on.