Rolls Royce Eagle book

Hello to all.
I’ve been a vehicle enthusiast since childhood and have been a heavy vehicle mechanic since leaving school. I’m very much interested in older vehicles and the running units used in them. I enjoy finding out all the facts and figures about them and researching the various different types that were around. I go through phases for researching various vehicles and engine types. I’ve currently been trying to find out as much as I can about the Rolls Royce Eagle diesel. I’ve read many of the threads on this forum and I know it’s very much a marmite unit. Some sing its praises while others really don’t have much time for it. That said there really isn’t a great deal of literature based on it, other than messages on here and a few other sources. I have a book which gives an insight into Gardner engines which I am a big fan of. I had been on the look out for a book about the Rolls Royce Eagle but there doesn’t appear to be one. If a book about the Eagle was to be produced how many old hands and enthusiasts would be interested in reading it?
Cheers
Davy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bewick won’t like it but I rate the Rolls engines higher than Gardner.The Eagle seems to involve a fragmented history of different series,marks and versions and would therefore require a lot of collating from the earliest to the last including the final Perkins TX developments.I only ever drove the 265 in the Foden S85 but knew the thing was a winner within the first mile I drove it.

@Carryfast I am just at the idea stage at the moment. I agree with what you say about the history being fragmented and there really isn’t a great deal out there, but I have managed to piece a rough beginning together. I’m not looking to do a big thick hard back book or anything grand like that. I’d be happy if I could cobble together something about 70 pages. I’d like to try and cover the history of it as you say, from its origins right up until Perkins took over and possibly cover a bit of its replacement as well. Theres lots of other avenues too, such as the various specs, vehicles that used the Eagle and operators. Time will tell if it comes to anything but I thought I’d be best to put the feelers out and see how well it would be received. No point in me getting ex amount of copies printed and they don’t shift.

My Father ran an Eagle powered Erf it was 340hp at the start but he took it to an ex Perkins development man at Shrewsbury who fitted a new pump injectors turbo intercooler and radiator from a 410hp he said they tune them to 800hp plus in tanks ,the Erf was tuned to approx 500hp just until it didn’t smoke ,after running many ■■■■■■■ models and some Gardner’s before then he said it was the best engine he’d had in many ways .

Well Davy you really have “cracked” it at the first attempt by managing to attract the interest of “The Leatherhead Nerd” so you needn’t bother seeking advice from other ( competent) sources as “CF” will bore you with facts and figures which he will conveniently omit to tell you which technical website he had just visited !!! I promise you that your teeth will be itching after been bombarded by “CF” until he see’s another more interesting post to visit like Roping & Sheeting or the ■■■■■■■■ thread !! Best of luck anyway :wink: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Well Davy you really have “cracked” it at the first attempt by managing to attract the interest of “The Leatherhead Nerd” so you needn’t bother seeking advice from other ( competent) sources as “CF” will bore you with facts and figures which he will conveniently omit to tell you which technical website he had just visited !!! I promise you that your teeth will be itching after been bombarded by “CF” until he see’s another more interesting post to visit like Roping & Sheeting or the ■■■■■■■■ thread !! Best of luck anyway :wink: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

To be fair we also all know that you’re a Gardner fan and Rolls hater.Something about every pint of diesel used matters more than how much work it can get done in a shift. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … 260-diesel

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … yce-eagle-

I drove a Rolls 265li engined Foden for ten years and the engine itself was never touched apart from rectifying a problem caused by a Foden fitter! :unamused: It was well worn after that time though and replaced with a secondhand one. We had a large fleet of them and they didn’t give many problems. Bottom end seemed bombproof on them. We had two 220’s a few years earlier as well, they were ok but both had new liners after a few years. I did have a parts book but sold it a few years ago.

Pete.

230turbo:
Hello to all.
I’ve been a vehicle enthusiast since childhood and have been a heavy vehicle mechanic since leaving school. I’m very much interested in older vehicles and the running units used in them. I enjoy finding out all the facts and figures about them and researching the various different types that were around. I go through phases for researching various vehicles and engine types. I’ve currently been trying to find out as much as I can about the Rolls Royce Eagle diesel. I’ve read many of the threads on this forum and I know it’s very much a marmite unit. Some sing its praises while others really don’t have much time for it. That said there really isn’t a great deal of literature based on it, other than messages on here and a few other sources. I have a book which gives an insight into Gardner engines which I am a big fan of. I had been on the look out for a book about the Rolls Royce Eagle but there doesn’t appear to be one. If a book about the Eagle was to be produced how many old hands and enthusiasts would be interested in reading it?
Cheers
Davy

Davy,

Nice and tough plan/idea and I would say YES to such a historical paperback! Quite some brochures, manuals and experiences are available but to
put it in a time-schedule with historical notes on early beginnings, R&D, milestones, failures and acceptance is something else.

Towards competitors as ■■■■■■■ (this year celebrating 100 Years), Gardner, Perkins, Detroit etc as sole engine-manufacturers it is challenging to
‘exclude’ other branches within Rolls Royce as a company.

Well, if I can be of any assistance with documentation…please PM me.

Good start of a nice 2020!

A-J

My Father ran various 220Eagles in his Scammells, and then some 280’s. Main problems we had were liners going porous as we are based in Kent, with hard water, despite keeping the coolant topped up with the inhibitor. Also had problems with valve guides wearing.

@ERF-Continental Thank you for your comments and happy new year. I fully expect it to be a challenge particularly since I’m only focusing really on a small part of a large manufacturer. I spoke to a friend who has had books published for some advice on that side of things. I really just wanted to test the water and see if there was much call for it. Even if there is, it may still come to nothing as I’d be producing the book and carrying out research in my spare time. Working in the engineering industry and having a young family doesn’t leave you with much spare time as many of you will know. All feedback is much appreciated even that which may be perceived as negative because that can help you to be more realistic and see things in the cold light of day. I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments that people have taken the time to leave here.

Herewith something more visual

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

@ERF-Continental some nice brochures there

@230Turbo…if you want I can input the content of various brochures over here…and then a avalanche
of feed-back, experiences and info may be a good base for any book.

@ERF-Continental I attempted to message you but it knocked it back. I’d be happy for you to email me brochures so I can study them. That would be much appreciated.

To bump this thread to page 1 again herewith even Australian-news with a White Road Boss (type2) and
a Rolls Royce under the hood. Australia was (together with Canada) an important market.

ERF-Continental:
To bump this thread to page 1 again herewith even Australian-news with a White Road Boss (type2) and
a Rolls Royce under the hood. Australia was (together with Canada) an important market.

That’s an interesting combination as would have been the KW or Pete and Rolls.

It would also be interesting to compare the ultimate development potential of the Rolls Eagle in the form of the TX v the Volvo F12 motor.I think the benchmark would have been somewhere around 400 hp ? not bad from around 12 litres.

Edit to add.

powertk.com.tr/perkins/29/pe … tx-engine/

ERF-Continental:

A correction as the White Road Boss was not a type 2 but type 1 with the Autocar-cab but with front-lights of a Western-Star-chassis

Carryfast:
Edit to add.

powertk.com.tr/perkins/29/pe … tx-engine/

Are you sure of your chronology here CF. Perkins took over RR and produced the TX a good 20 years after the Road Boss hit the scene IIRC. R