Seawheel

Seawheel Container Services one of the first iso container services into Europe and Ireland.
Seawheel was formed in the mid 1960’s by Lovells Shipping & Transport Group a quoted company on the Bristol stock market where they originated from.
Lovells HQ was on the Bristol waterside at Bathurst Wharf whilst Seawheels HQ based at Lovells Wharf Greenwich.
The main shipping route into Europe was Felixstowe and Bristol sport for Ireland.
Here’s a couple of pictures of trucks and equipment at Felixstowe

Kenb:
Seawheel Container Services one of the first iso container services into Europe and Ireland.
Seawheel was formed in the mid 1960’s by Lovells Shipping & Transport Group a quoted company on the Bristol stock market where they originated from.
Lovells HQ was on the Bristol waterside at Bathurst Wharf whilst Seawheels HQ based at Lovells Wharf Greenwich.
The main shipping route into Europe was Felixstowe and Bristol sport for Ireland.
Here’s a couple of pictures of trucks and equipment at Felixstowe

Heres another one Ken.

seawheel 69.PNG

images.jpg

DEANB:
Heres another one Ken.

A single-wheel 6x4 tractor, carrying containers. It looks like one of those vehicles intended to meet the proposed 44-on-five legislation, in 1971. If it is, then it would need at least 264bhp, to meet the 6bhp/ton requirement, which came into being around the same time. No 8 cylinder Gardner there, then. :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:
Heres another one Ken.

A single-wheel 6x4 tractor, carrying containers. It looks like one of those vehicles intended to meet the proposed 44-on-five legislation, in 1971. If it is, then it would need at least 264bhp, to meet the 6bhp/ton requirement, which came into being around the same time. No 8 cylinder Gardner there, then. :smiley:

Here’s part of your answer: the ■■■■■■■ might, of course, have been a 220, a 250 or an NTC 290 and if the latter you’re home; and the big radiator suggests that that may well be the case! I’ll investigate further :wink: . Robert

Guy%20Big%20J6T.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:
Heres another one Ken.

Here’s part of your answer: the ■■■■■■■ might, of course, have been a 220, a 250 or an NTC 290 and if the latter you’re home; and the big radiator suggests that that may well be the case! I’ll investigate further :wink: . Robert

Kicked another debate-off!?
The heading on the picture refers to 14litre? I bow to your knowledge Robert.
Interesting no number plate on the vehicle and it’s in a freight liner terminal - possibly Birmingham Landor St - I worked there - set up the Seawheel/Dart operation which lead me to the S Jones contact and finally Trans Arabia.
Cheers
Kenb

ERF-NGC-European:
“[zb] anorak”“DEANB”]Heres another one Ken.

A single-wheel 6x4 tractor, carrying containers. It looks like one of those vehicles intended to meet the proposed 44-on-five legislation, in 1971. If it is, then it would need at least 264bhp, to meet the 6bhp/ton requirement, which came into being around the same time. No 8 cylinder Gardner there, then.

Spot on Anorak it was indeed built for the proposed 44 ton limit and was from a 1969 magazine. :wink:

Robert, They did offer several different rated engines and the largest was a 310 ! That was some power back in 1969. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Couple more.

seawheel1.PNG

seawheel2.PNG

Kenb:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:
Heres another one Ken.

Kicked another debate-off!?
The heading on the picture refers to 14litre? I bow to your knowledge Robert.
Interesting no number plate on the vehicle and it’s in a freight liner terminal - possibly Birmingham Landor St - I worked there - set up the Seawheel/Dart operation which lead me to the S Jones contact and finally Trans Arabia.
Cheers
Kenb

Ah! That career route makes sense, Ken! R

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
“[zb] anorak”“DEANB”]Heres another one Ken.

A single-wheel 6x4 tractor, carrying containers. It looks like one of those vehicles intended to meet the proposed 44-on-five legislation, in 1971. If it is, then it would need at least 264bhp, to meet the 6bhp/ton requirement, which came into being around the same time. No 8 cylinder Gardner there, then.

Spot on Anorak it was indeed built for the proposed 44 ton limit and was from a 1969 magazine. :wink:

Robert, They did offer several different rated engines and the largest was a 310 ! That was some power back in 1969. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Nice detective work Dean. And more horses than Anorak or I had dared to hope for. If that was a Guy demo unit it would have had the big 'un in :wink: . R

DEANB:
Couple more.

Fredrick Ray of Leighton Buzzard carrying a 30’ side door container manufactured by Marshall’s Cambridge. Seawheel purchased a large number of 30’ side door containers specifically for their Vauxhall contract for movement of cars in CKD form (Viva) from Ellesmere Port to Belgium, some of the sidedoor containers were also used on a contract with British Leyland Oxford to move cars(1100 Vandam Plas)in CKD form to Czech Republic for assembly. Fred Ray ran the shuttle of loaded containers from Ellesmere Port to Garston Liverpool Freightliner terminal for transit to the port of Harwich.

Kenb

I recall that in the mid 60’s a Chap called Tommy Benson, a native of Kendal, who was a long serving Driver at Brady’s of Barrow left to join Seawheel and work in their Traffic Office in Felixstowe. Tommy was well thought of at Brady’s and he was allocated their one and only new Two Pedal Beaver and I believe he was one of half a dozen “Road Foremen” at Brady’s who were paid an additional £5 per week with their weekly wage. I also believe at the time it was quite a blow for Brady’s to lose such a good Driver. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I recall that in the mid 60’s a Chap called Tommy Benson, a native of Kendal, who was a long serving Driver at Brady’s of Barrow left to join Seawheel and work in their Traffic Office in Felixstowe. Tommy was well thought of at Brady’s and he was allocated their one and only new Two Pedal Beaver and I believe he was one of half a dozen “Road Foremen” at Brady’s who were paid an additional £5 per week with their weekly wage. I also believe at the time it was quite a blow for Brady’s to lose such a good Driver. Cheers Bewick.

How interesting you should bring up this man - yes what a character and a good man. On one of my visits to Felixstowe over dinner in the Dolpin by the railway crossing we had a very interesting and illuminating conversation about my mother and her family from a Maryport and his relationship with one of her sisters!! Small world.
Cheers
Kenb

I assume Seatrain were a completely different company Ken or was there a connection ?

Seawheel.

AT19.JPG

DEANB:
I assume Seatrain were a completely different company Ken or was there a connection ?

Seawheel.

Hi Dean
No their was no connection between the 2 companies - Seatrain were an American and involved Trans Atlantic business. Seawheel was a British company owned by Lovell Transport & Shipping Group from Bristol. Their cnection with the Atlantic and Canadian container trade was with Dart Container Line Southampton who operated a weekly container service - Seawheel had a contract to conduct their Uk internal transport arrangements.

Cheers
Ken b

The photos from the OP are what i put on facebook recently, from the late Bob Carters collection. They never made it into the book for one reason or another, you can always read more in the book on his life :wink:

The Guy is indeed a demo unit at Landor street, but i thought it had a Rolls Royce, but again it is in the book with the correct info!

oldpond.com/you-call-we-hau … arter.html

Seawheel clipping from 1968.

Click on once.

It took a while to finde the “Shippers guide to Seawheel” (a member of the United-group) but here some pages

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

euromat:
The photos from the OP are what i put on facebook recently, from the late Bob Carters collection. They never made it into the book for one reason or another, you can always read more in the book on his life :wink:

The Guy is indeed a demo unit at Landor street, but i thought it had a Rolls Royce, but again it is in the book with the correct info!

oldpond.com/you-call-we-hau … arter.html

Had not realised Bob had passed on. RIP. Jim.