Argyle 16 Ton Rigid

This is from a book I’d bought back in 1971, don’t think I’ve ever seen an Argyle, if I have then I can’t remember it. How long did they keep making them?
Maybe it was offered as a budget alternative to the AEC Mercury or some of the other 16 ton four-wheelers of the day. Looks like a Seddon at first glance, because of the Motor Panels cab.

according to what ive got dave it was from 70-73. because of the big boys, argyll wernt viable. they only made the christina, and built a one off heavy tractor called the “trilby” for the bsc, ■■■■■■■ engine and designed for 120 ton loads!

Thanks for that Mal, I’m not surprised they weren’t around long. Is your info from a book or off the Internet? - I could find very little about them online, only that the company is still in East Kilbride.

the info is from the world encyclopedia of trucks. there is only a small pieace about them dave. the book is allways on ebay sometimes very cheap, its a decent book as well!

I only ever saw one, a SWB tipper on the A1 inNorth Yorks.

I wonder if those split lens mirrors would be legal today

boden:
I wonder if those split lens mirrors would be legal today

I’ve still got a couple of Zanettis from the 70s. Use the smaller one on the car
when towing the caravan. They are brilliant. When pulling 60 foot trailers on
Econofreight I could still see the tail of the trailer on a right angled bend. :wink:

Salut, David.

i cant see for the life of why they would make them illegal boden, but then again, common sense usually means jack ■■■■ to the law!

dave, we used to get another of the oval mirrors, put it down the bottom of the arm, and angle it so as you could allways get the backe end coming in to it, just as you were losing it in the main mirror! ever do that? i think it was very commonplace!

Mal:
i cant see for the life of why they would make them illegal boden, !

Nor me.

dave, we used to get another of the oval mirrors, put it down the bottom
of the arm, and angle it so as you could allways get the backe end coming in
to it, just as you were losing it in the main mirror! ever do that? i think it was
very commonplace

Not quite Mal, but before I got the Zanettis I bought a couple of those little stick-
on fish-eye lenses. They seemed impossibly small at first but when I got used
to them I could reverse on them without too much difficulty. Only trouble was
being stuck on the standard mirrors it restricted the view in those.

Salut, David.

Just found this picture of my Zanettis Mal, with Daf 3300 attached! Taken in
1980 at London Docks waiting to tip this 28 ton machine from Woodville,
the ‘driver’ is not me but my 13 year old son - the second man( :unamused: )

Anyway, back to the mirrors, these are the big pair, I also have 2 smaller ones
like the ones they have (had) on ambulances.

Salut, David.

i never did have a set of mirrors like that, but how youve got them set up is exactly like i was on about dave! and they worked a treat apart from the 50yard blind spot because of 2 full sized mirrors on the arm! :wink:

Strangely enough I don’t ever remember that being a problem Mal, although in
later years with more modern motors I had to move my head around a bit
more :open_mouth: .

Salut, David.