Turbostar appreciation society

What a motor! Only drove the 190.42 but would have loved the iconic 480, any memories? Both the 420 and 480 were 17 ltr monster engine, and the double H box ,what a truck, feed back please for a iconic truck no poxy sweeds here

I had a 190.48 for a short while - it pulled like a train it had marmite brakes that worked well when it felt like it!!

I did think about adding another axle for heavy hail use but thecost of conversion made it a no go

It was also a bit thirsty on general work

I will say that the cab was not bad to sleep in, a decent seat , and a good driving position

In all, it was a fair motor, that didn’t deserve the Iveco bad press

Never driven a Iveco in my life, but I always fancied this one for some reason, maybe because of the growl the engine made… and it just looked like a proper lorry, as a wise old man once said to me “if it looks right, it must be right”…

Bad press was probably made by people who, just like me, never had the chance to do a gig in them?

Cheers, Patrick

We had 360s and 1 480 in the late 80s the 360s pulled well the 480 was exceptional but it was the same story for them all the cabs fell to bits and for me personally the side windows were too low

Used to be a small haualge firm on an ind estate near Norwich airport who ran turbostars and as they died one after the other they sat out the front of their workshop and were cannabilised to keep the rest going.

I always rather fancied one of these beasts too. You could have a Fuller 'box if you wanted, instead of the ZF Ecosplit syncho job. You could have a 9-sp Fuller and I believe Pete Smith on here drove some. Or more commonly, and certainly in the LHD version, you could have the 13-sp Fuller like this one:

Or you could have a Twin-splitter constant-mesh (this was also an option in the later Eurostar, an example of which I ran myself), like this one:

The Aussies fitted 18-sp Fuller to there’s!

57002_1026981.jpg

You could even have a high-cabbed version but I think these were built by Esteppe or Hatcher. There were quite a few about!

We need Jelliot on this thread. He ran a cracker! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I always rather fancied one of these beasts too. You could have a Fuller 'box if you wanted, instead of the ZF Ecosplit syncho job. You could have a 9-sp Fuller and I believe Pete Smith on here drove some. Or more commonly, and certainly in the LHD version, you could have the 13-sp Fuller like this one:

Or you could have a Twin-splitter constant-mesh (this was also an option in the later Eurostar, an example of which I ran myself), like this one:

You could even have a high-cabbed version but I think these were built by Esteppe or Hatcher. There were quite a few about!

We mainly had 13 speed fullers in ours but 1 had a 16 speed “knock over” box and 2 had twin splitters

So Robert asked for jeffs old one. I think he did Turkey with it.

Danne

had one on demo late 80’s. I liked it ,first motor I drove with leccy mirrors.

Dirty Dan:
So Robert asked for jeffs old one. I think he did Turkey with it.

Danne

Yes, that’s the kiddy Dan! It was a 480 with a 13-sp Fuller. Robert

this was a beaut,

joeshell:
this was a beaut,

No doubt, but it isn’t a Turbostar! robert

ERF-NGC-European:

joeshell:
this was a beaut,

On the subject of Eurostars, I am correct in saying that the Turbostar had a straight blower, while the later vehicle had an air-to-air intercooler aswell?

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

joeshell:
this was a beaut,

On the subject of Eurostars, I am correct in saying that the Turbostar had a straight blower, while the later vehicle had an air-to-air intercooler aswell?

I should, of course, know the answer to this but I’ve forgotten! I’ve just dug out the drivers handbook for my old Eurostar which doesn’t tell you anything about that kind of stuff. However, I’ve found this piece in Commercial Motor archives (see link below), which right at the end tells us that the 14litre lump was given twin-turbos in the Turbostar and later on given the intercooler but it isn’t clear in the passage whether this occurred before or after the advent of the Eurostar. You need also to bear in mind that there were two generations of Eurostars, the low-tech reworking of the old 14ltr lump followed by a new generation electronic version (in the later '90s) called the Eurostar Cursor (which, by the way, dropped the optional Eaton Twin-splitter available on the previous model, like mine). Hope that helps. Someone will know and come in with the goodies! Robert

Heres that link:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … n-stallion

Trickydick:
Used to be a small haualge firm on an ind estate near Norwich airport who ran turbostars and as they died one after the other they sat out the front of their workshop and were cannabilised to keep the rest going.

Think that used to be Twinkle Transport, If I remember rightly they used to pull for Norfolk line and other ferry compaines until VOSA Shut them down for running twice as many trucks that was on their operators licence, driver hours and GV9’s. When VOSA showed up to check the taco’s on a prearrange appointment the owner left a note on the door saying “sorry gone to the races for the day”. :laughing: Class

the very late turbostars. Had the 520 bhp aswell. They used to be a 3 tone green one witch tipped at st james market in Bradford. used to see it on saturdays with straight threw pipes on it sounded so good. the300 320 and 360 was the 14ltr straight six engine and the 420 480 520 were all twin turbo 18 ltr V8s top motors until tin worm got hold of em.

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for late reply,
Yes we had a 5 or 6 on hire for around 4 months, there was one 190.36, this was a wider and higher mounted cab than the 190.30’s that made the rest of the numbers up. The 360 may have been fitted with a 13 speed Fuller as I seem to remember it because the lever had 3 positions on the gear stick?
I can remember the 360 as it was fitted with air horns and the button to operate them was on the floor, I pressed it by accident! Also I got done for doing 70 mph on the M1 at 3 am in the morning!
The 190.30’s had a “slap over” range change I think, but as other poster have stated the cab trim was a bit of let down and for 2 years old the cabs had started to show serious rust problems but both models were decent performers and very willing engines. Another truck we had at the same time was an ERF for evaluation, fitted with a ■■■■■■■ 365 and twin splitter, a bit of over kill really as all the fleet was plated at 28 ton gross, that ERF would go off the clock quite easily! Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for late reply,
Yes we had a 5 or 6 on hire for around 4 months, there was one 190.36, this was a wider and higher mounted cab than the 190.30’s that made the rest of the numbers up. The 360 may have been fitted with a 13 speed Fuller as I seem to remember it because the lever had 3 positions on the gear stick?
I can remember the 360 as it was fitted with air horns and the button to operate them was on the floor, I pressed it by accident! Also I got done for doing 70 mph on the M1 at 3 am in the morning!
The 190.30’s had a “slap over” range change I think, but as other poster have stated the cab trim was a bit of let down and for 2 years old the cabs had started to show serious rust problems but both models were decent performers and very willing engines. Another truck we had at the same time was an ERF for evaluation, fitted with a ■■■■■■■ 365 and twin splitter, a bit of over kill really as all the fleet was plated at 28 ton gross, that ERF would go off the clock quite easily! Cheer’s Pete

Cheers Pete! That ERF would have been an E-series, I think. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for late reply,

Yes Robert, white cab with green stripe I think, I did not come from S.Jones I think it may have come from the factory as it had travelled around various Exel Logistics depots! We ended up with Merc 1726’s and 3 1729’s, I was allocated a 1726 and had it for 2 days and asked for my Roadtrain back!

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for late reply,

Yes Robert, white cab with green stripe I think, I did not come from S.Jones I think it may have come from the factory as it had travelled around various Exel Logistics depots! We ended up with Merc 1726’s and 3 1729’s, I was allocated a 1726 and had it for 2 days and asked for my Roadtrain back!

I would have done the same - I didn’t like any of the post-NG Mercs! Robert