Cobra railfreight

Does anyone have any photos of the wagons based at Cobra’s depot on Caldervale Road, Wakefield in the late 80’s/early 90’s ? I worked there for a short time in 1991 when there were several Leyland and Scammell (T45) tractors, and maybe some Volvos being used, along with those from sister company Deepcar Transport.

I remember them. I know Deepcar were involved in it and weren’t they allowed to run at a higher weight than normal - or am I having a senior moment Fodenway?

I can’t remember if there was any weight exemption for them, but we certainly ran some very long lengths of steel bar and girder out of the Wakefield yard when I was there as yard shunter.

If you go onto page 88 of Paul Gee’s Photo Collection thread there’s an article about Cobra.I do now remember them carrying coke in containers.

Chris Webb:
If you go onto page 88 of Paul Gee’s Photo Collection thread there’s an article about Cobra.I do now remember them carrying coke in containers.

IIRC They have a place at Middlesbrough, They handle Salt from Boulby Mine, Regards Larry.

Chris Webb:

I have a copy of that article, and remember watching the operation whilst waiting for a train at Kirkgate station, but what I’m after are photos of the lorries from the early nineties when I worked there for modelmaking purposes.
I also remember being told that the Middlesborough yard had it’s own shunting loco, whereas Wakefield’s trainloads were shunted by British rail locos.

fodenway:

Chris Webb:

I have a copy of that article, and remember watching the operation whilst waiting for a train at Kirkgate station, but what I’m after are photos of the lorries from the early nineties when I worked there for modelmaking purposes.
I also remember being told that the Middlesborough yard had it’s own shunting loco, whereas Wakefield’s trainloads were shunted by British rail locos.

Did Barber Road Services from Oughtibridge have some wagons on that Cobra job?

fodenway:

Chris Webb:

Cobra at Middlesbrough, They are driverless trains from Boulby Mine they run into Teesport Docks as well, Regards Larry.