TOE (Transports de l'ouest European) trailers

Does anyone either remember or have any photos of TOE trailers that used to come into the country unaccompanied at Newhaven from Dieppe? They were about a lot in the late '70s/'80s. Did the company just disappear or was it taken over by another French trailer company? On one occasion, as an owner driver, I did make inquiries of the company but never got round to pulling any of their trailers but I do recall a company (owner driver?) from Westerham with an F88 among several others pulling them. I’d be interested to know. Cheers.

in the 80’s there was always a load parked up in the laybyes at the bottom end of the a5 by crick…

Cheers for that m.a.n. rules. By googling I’ve found a picure of a TOE trailer pulled by a modern looking MAN. Looks as though they’re still going on the continent.

your welcome. also if I remember correctly they were tilts. also they were dark blue with white signwriting.

They had a huge depot in Dieppe opposite Nestle. At one time they were part of Transalliance but were sold off in 2006

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collected a few (driving for Ridgers Transport) from Newhaven, mainly plywood as I recall plus champaigne, normally reloaded steel rolls from Stocksbridge or S.Wales. Would be in about 1978.

Hi formertrucker. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=39622&start=120
Here you are,there are some good pics of TOE trailers here.

Danne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go chaps! Robert

Scan_20190324.jpg
Scan_20190324 (2).jpg

A few more.

A01659.JPG

A02549.JPG

A02862.JPG

TOE keyring presently for sale on eBay
ebay.fr/itm/Porte-cles-key- … 2932707940

Started on TOE in the late 60’s when they came in at Dover. Carried on until the unaccompanied stopped in the early 90’s

Driven by Gordon Taylor

DEANB:
A few more.

Looks like a young Roger Westgate in that Mercedes.

formertrucker:
Does anyone either remember or have any photos of TOE trailers that used to come into the country unaccompanied at Newhaven from Dieppe? They were about a lot in the late '70s/'80s. Did the company just disappear or was it taken over by another French trailer company? On one occasion, as an owner driver, I did make inquiries of the company but never got round to pulling any of their trailers but I do recall a company (owner driver?) from Westerham with an F88 among several others pulling them. I’d be interested to know. Cheers.

The Company from Westerham was G.Burgess & Son ran by Oliver Burgess. He never ran an F88 but had a couple of Scammell Handyman’s on TOE for many years. The permanent driver of one was Gordon Taylor who was on TOE until he retired. In later years Oliver ran his 4000 series Foden on there driving himself.

A few more including a TOE trailer in customer livery.

TOE Dieppe

2092297765_small_1.jpg

Here’s a thread of several pages (in French, of course) on TOE. You may need to regsiter to see the pictures:
photosdecamions.com/t12439-t … urop%E9ens