Kraz/Belaz in the UK

Hello, do any of you have any photos of Kraz or Belaz trucks that look like this? fahrzeugbilder.de/1024/schwe … -75877.jpg
I just wanted to know if any like that made it to the UK, I know dumpers did but if any like were sold at UMO plant?

A couple of Belaz adverts.

Click on pages twice to read.

WOW! thats really cool! Did they sell ones for trailers? Well how do I put it, they were a crew cab and pulled trailers for heavy equipment baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/ … 09f175097y I know west and east Germany used a bunch. I thought I have heard of them in the UK but I thought I would double check. They look really neat! And thanks for the brochures

I dont think they were offered as tractor units just rigids. A clipping from 1974.

Click on page once.

belaz kraz 74.PNG

Another clipping from 1974.

Click on pages once.

belaz 74a.PNG

belaz 74.PNG

Neat!, thanks for the photos, if anyone has photos of Kraz tractors I would love to see them! Do you have photos of a Belaz 540 dump trucks?

We ran three Belaz dumpers on track work at Mercaston Quarry around 1970ish. IIRC they were among the first sold by Umo Plant, being bought from their first showing at the Commercial Motor Show.

Belaz.jpg

Steve

Am I right in thinking that Ambrose of Chesterfield had a few?
I remember seeing one at work clearing the site for the Spring Ram Business Park at Darton (Barnsley) which is now the Premdor factory, but can’t remember the operator. I thought at the time that it reminded me somewhat of a Diamond T.

fodenway:
Am I right in thinking that Ambrose of Chesterfield had a few?
I remember seeing one at work clearing the site for the Spring Ram Business Park at Darton (Barnsley) which is now the Premdor factory, but can’t remember the operator. I thought at the time that it reminded me somewhat of a Diamond T.

We’ve been talking about this subject for ages haven’t we Steve.I wonder what happened to these Allen’s motors.Jane might know don’t you think ?
I will have a ride out to Hilton after I’ve finished my part time job as a funeral goer

Tony

So long as it ain’t your own then keep up the good work, Tony!
If you see Jayne ask her to email Ken as he’s the only one who will know now.
I have it in the back of my mind that they went to Ambrose at Chesterfield, but I’m not 100 % sure.

Steve

Did they have the parking brake on the prop shaft…iirc they moved/rocked when loading? or am I thinking o another make

Ste46:
We ran three Belaz dumpers on track work at Mercaston Quarry around 1970ish. IIRC they were among the first sold by Umo Plant, being bought from their first showing at the Commercial Motor Show.

Steve

Cracking pics Steve. They look like they were a fair old machine in there day. Did a bit of research on them and some people rated them very highly
and said they were vertually unbreakable. Large engine back in the 70s 265 bhp on a 6 wheeler. As you mentioned UMO Plant were the main
importer/dealer for them.

Wimpey operated them.

belaz wimpey1.jpg

Far right in pic.

belaz wimpey.jpg

Thomas Nicol one.

Hoveringham Gravels one.

Harry Hodges from Sheffield.

A couple of other companies were Collins and Cromwell Slag.

Will scan a brochure and pop on i have.

Belaz Brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

One thing one can probably trust in a Russian truck is the windscreen defrosting!

Froggy55:
One thing one can probably trust in a Russian truck is the windscreen defrosting!

Don’t forget the heating, it’s a simple “on-off” thing, but does the job! Lada Niva comes to mind :wink:

The Belaz was popular here. I wonder if any survive ?

Click on page once.

belaz nicol.JPG

This one is waiting for a purchaser some 20 miles from where I live. Its owner, who was asking € 2500 (some £ 2100) for it 3 years ago, told me it was a Kraz 255 B1, powered by a 256 bhp Deutz V8. A spare chassis is loaded on it.

No room for any useless extras in its cab.

Froggy55:
1This one is waiting for a purchaser some 20 miles from where I live. Its owner, who was asking € 2500 (some £ 2100) for it 3 years ago, told me it was a Kraz 255 B1, powered by a 256 bhp Deutz V8. A spare chassis is loaded on it.

0No room for any useless extras in its cab.

Thanks for the pics “Froggy55”, looks complete chap. Tough old looking things,would be nice if someone did save it. :wink:

DEANB:

Froggy55:
1This one is waiting for a purchaser some 20 miles from where I live. Its owner, who was asking € 2500 (some £ 2100) for it 3 years ago, told me it was a Kraz 255 B1, powered by a 256 bhp Deutz V8. A spare chassis is loaded on it.

0No room for any useless extras in its cab.

Thanks for the pics “Froggy55”, looks complete chap. Tough old looking things,would be nice if someone did save it. :wink:

Doesn’t look too bad does it? Some 10 years ago I had to deliver a digger in some part of the former DDR, got chatting with the guvnor, and he showed me a shed where he had stored several of these Kraz lorries, all looking brand new! He said he bought them for tuppence after the wall came down and did a full on restoration on them.

pv83:

DEANB:

Froggy55:
This one is waiting for a purchaser some 20 miles from where I live. Its owner, who was asking € 2500 (some £ 2100) for it 3 years ago, told me it was a Kraz 255 B1, powered by a 256 bhp Deutz V8. A spare chassis is loaded on it.

No room for any useless extras in its cab.

Doesn’t look too bad does it? Some 10 years ago I had to deliver a digger in some part of the former DDR, got chatting with the guvnor, and he showed me a shed where he had stored several of these Kraz lorries, all looking brand new! He said he bought them for tuppence after the wall came down and did a full on restoration on them.

Makes you wonder what stuff is tucked away in sheds like that around the world. :wink:

Clipping about them.Everything i have read echos what this fella says about them being a very good truck.Anyone on here ever drive one ?

belaz allen1.PNG

belaz allen2.PNG