Collecting memorabilia

dont know if any of you old boys (tin hat time) :smiley: collect memorabillia

i seen this on ebay and wondered if something you would be intrested in

lorry drivers pocket book and diary 1975

was every driver issued with one of these pocket books for parking and lodgings or only the lucky few. pity they dont do that now adys would help a great deal finding some where to park

jon

that little pocket book rings a bell jon, i never got issued one of course. but i seem to think some old boy gave me one. being young i would have binned it no doubt, its vague but i theres something that rings a bell! wish i had it now.

to answer your question, mostly books and that, mind you the money just aint there for it right now, theres been quite a few things on ebay i liked. i mised a brand new authentic sedd ack mug the other day, it went for 1.50.

I certainly had one of those but I had forgotten about 'till now. It definitely wasn’t issued to me so I must have bought it, perhaps via an advert in ‘Headlight’.

Might be interesting to delve into it and see how many of the addresses are still valid. Imagine parking your 44 tonner outside someone’s house in a terraced back street and knocking on the door with your little suitcase in your hand. :laughing:

Salut, David.

it sure would be interesting to go to some addys with a 44 tonner dave, but, a few blokes must have turned up with 8 lgger & drags! i dont know what the overall length of those were! but of course now, thered be a million cars in the street!

I still managed to shoe horn my Leyland Beaver with 39’ flat loaded with photographic paper into a back street in Chiswick. It wasn’t transport digs it was a house rented by a load of Aussies some of whom I knew from down under. I used to stay there all the time, there was always a spare bed or a couch available. This particular night I went to the pub with them and walking home noticed a load of cars where my truck should have been. Reported it stolen and spent an hour at the station 'till the report came through that they had towed it away to Chiswick pound, for having no lights lit. :open_mouth:
No fine but had to pay about £50 to get it back. Worst thing was they drove it right round 3 tight corners in the pound to a dead end and I had to reverse it all the way out, blind side in the dark. :smiling_imp:

Salut, David.

I still have six of them commonly known as the ‘Transort Drivers Pocket guide’,(digs book) it is a little red hardbacked book you could buy them from all the cafes and the last one I bought was in 1974 which is like brand new and I also have one from 1968. You also had the minimum rates of pay printed inside taken from the ‘BRS’ rates and an example being, 18tons rate and over London area £13.4.9 and provinces £12.19.9, for a forty hour week which I doubt ever existed in those days.

im even more sure ive had one of them books now. i know when i was first driving, there was a pub where a lot of drivers used to go, and im pretty certain a old timer i used to have a natter with and that had finished gave me one of them books. i wish i hadnt thrown it away! theres no such thing as a drivers or even a workmans rough pub round here now, there all poxy theme pubs.